Time to adress the DS issue.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Time to adress the DS issue.

Post by XDelusion »

I've been wanting to MOD my DS. From what I understand, I need to buy a GBA flash cart that can support HUGE single files along with a PassKey, or I can have my DS flashed, and will not need the PassKey with original DS sticking out the back of my system. Am I correct, or do you NEED the PassKey and DS game in order to get the DS to boot DS software from the GBA game port?

If all I need is a card and flashed, then what 1-4 GB card would you guys suggest (most simple, compatable, yet cheap)?
Where can I send my DS to have it flashed, or am I forced to buy the hardware myself?

Thankx in advance for all help.

Also if anyone knows of good DS homebrew sites or forums and the like, please share links.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Got all my answers.

All you need is a Passme (version 1), a Wi-Fi card or Flash Cart such as the GBA Movie Player (update firmware with DS firmware), then you can do the Flashme hack and do away with the Passme all together, though I think you need it still to play commercial games off your Flash Card?

Anyhow from here you'll be able to play about any emulator and piece of homebrew for the DS, though you'll probably want to get something better than the GBAMP if want want to play with the larger files.

I personally just picked up the GBAMP and a 256Mb Flash stick for now, as the DS modding scene is a work in progress and I don't want to go out and buy a G6v3 when a cheaper alternative may come around the corner any day and offer new potential.

Here is a good page for info on this:

http://www.dslinux.org/index.php?act=home
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Have a look at the newest version of the GBAMP, the M3 Adapter. Compatibile with more than 98% of Nintendo DS games so far, and it doesn't suffer from the horrible lag with GBA games that the Supercard does (it uses faster flash chips).

If you're thinking of going the FlashMe route, read this first.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I looked at the Super Card, but at the price, I didn't feel I needed to pay so much extra for those few added features, plus people say they have enough troubles of there own, so I figured I'd settle on the cheaper of the two troubled units.

The GBAMP3 sounds tempting, as does the G6v3. I'm just going to wait and see. Besides, I already own Castlevania: DOS what other games out there do I really need atm?!?! :)

Looking foward to the new incarnation of Res Evil since it will play like part 4, which is the only way I'll play them.

P.S. Is Whales where Welsh people are from? I have a little Welsh in me, but mostly Cherokee and Shawnee.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

XDelusion wrote:P.S. Is Whales where Welsh people are from? I have a little Welsh in me, but mostly Cherokee and Shawnee.
Yup, where men are men & sheep are afraid :sheepdrop: :lol:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Not to get off subject, but weren't the Welsh used as slaves at one point in history or another, and isn't there country known to be very non-war like?

I'm curious because I have the two Native bloods in me, as well as Welsh and Irish, and I know 3 of the 4 races were definatly repressed to hell and back during history.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Mario Kart and Trauma Center do look awsome, as does the new Sonic, but alas I'm poor, think I'll hold out for the new Marios and Metroid.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I got my GBAMP but NO ONE on Pocket Heaven seems to own one. How VERY ironic.

Anyhow it's a v2 so it's pretty limited, seems to run about all small NES files without a problem (though the res is a little odd), movies run great, but I've not tested it beyond this because no one seems to be of any help when it comes to figuring out how to run homebrew and what not on this puppy.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ok, works pretty basic, I got a chance to sit down and play. It runs GB B&W very well now, and I think I can run about any SMS game on it too, have not tested that yet though.

If anyone is planning on getting one, I'd only pick this up if you only have a GBA, or don't have the cash, otherwise if you got the money, pick up a M3, you'll be able to do about anything with it, plus you'll be able to save games which isn't possible with the M2's low ram.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Actually for those looking to buy a GBAMP 2 or better yet 3, there is a wonderful little community and Forum dedicated to just that!

http://gbatmw.proboards44.com/index.cgi
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I heard good and bad about the Super Card. I picked up the GBAMP v2 because it was dirt cheap. Now I'm going to most likely pick up a GBAMP3 or a G6v3. Not totally sure which yet, as I need to make sure all my DS software runs full speed and what not.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Um...I'm usually pretty up on these things, and what everything can and can't do and what costs what and which products are best.

But what the hell is a G6v3?

Is that another name for the new version of the MagicKey? I've never heard that term before.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

The GBAMPv3 and the G6v3 ara the most recent flash devices available for the GBA and DS.

Here's info on the M3:

http://www.m3adapter.com/main.htm

Info on the G6V3:

http://www.g6flash.com/news.htm

As you see, with these you can support any GBA/DS movie or sound format, play Commercial and Homebrew GBA/DS titles, emulators, you name it! They are the most recent so they are currently the most flexable flash carts available on the market. Infact they are so new they just came out like last week or something. :)
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I'm getting a supercard, because I found this tool on the scdev.org forums that eliminates the slowdown for a lot of GBA games (theres no slowdown for DS games however). That, and its much cheaper than the M3, and I can't even find a store that carries M3 in the US besides divineo, and they don't take paypal so I'm sunk.

All I need to do is get another cart, like the metroid demo, and then the passme 2. Then I'm in business.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[nods I'm familiar with the M3 (I used to have a GBAMP v2), and the Supercard, and the MagicKey, and most major GBA flash models. But I'd never heard of the G6 before.

It looks to me like it's just a souped-up GBA flash suite with a ripoff of the M3 software suite.

I'm thinking of an M3 (I don't want a fixed flash module--I want something that can take CF or SD), but I want to wait a while longer to see if a better solution for DS software booting is found than using a passthrough dongle. It would even be fine if it didn't protrude from the DS slot...but ah well. I may just get an M3 anyway and go the FlashMe route, but I'm worried about losing compatibility if they make a more compact DS and I decide to trade up.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DaMadFiddler wrote:[nods I'm familiar with the M3 (I used to have a GBAMP v2), and the Supercard, and the MagicKey, and most major GBA flash models. But I'd never heard of the G6 before.

It looks to me like it's just a souped-up GBA flash suite with a ripoff of the M3 software suite.
They are both made by the same company. They make a PassKey (similar to a PassMe) for both systems, and whenever one is updated, the other usually is within a few days. They offer very similar compatibility with games.

There is a bit of a debate over which of the M3 and Supercard is the best for DS games, but the M3 certainly wins when it comes to movies. It has seen two major revisions of the encoding/decoding engine which the Supercard is incompatible with, which improves quality and reduces filesize, whilst allowing you to watch full screen movies on a DS.

I believe they both perform rather well, compatiblity-wise. I don't know of any list for the Supercard, but here is a very complete one for the M3: http://leo.rampen.ca/m3wiki/index.php/M3_NDS_roms

As far as GBA games go, there is no debate - the M3 wins hands down. The Supercard features slow flash RAM which made a great number of games unplayable (more than 25% according to many), whilst the M3 enjoys near-universal compatibility.

The Supercard is, however, quite a bit cheaper.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

az_bont wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:[nods I'm familiar with the M3 (I used to have a GBAMP v2), and the Supercard, and the MagicKey, and most major GBA flash models. But I'd never heard of the G6 before.

They are both made by the same company. They make a PassKey (similar to a PassMe) for both systems, and whenever one is updated, the other usually is within a few days. They offer very similar compatibility with games.

There is a bit of a debate over which of the M3 and Supercard is the best for DS games, but the M3 certainly wins when it comes to movies. It has seen two major revisions of the encoding/decoding engine which the Supercard is incompatible with, which improves quality and reduces filesize, whilst allowing you to watch full screen movies on a DS.

I believe they both perform rather well, compatiblity-wise. I don't know of any list for the Supercard, but here is a very complete one for the M3: http://leo.rampen.ca/m3wiki/index.php/M3_NDS_roms

As far as GBA games go, there is no debate - the M3 wins hands down. The Supercard features slow flash RAM which made a great number of games unplayable (more than 25% according to many), whilst the M3 enjoys near-universal compatibility.

The Supercard is, however, quite a bit cheaper.
The only way to get fullscreen video with the supercard is with moonshell IIRC. and the supercard compatibility list is http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/NDS/supercard.html
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Have they fixed the saving problem with the newest update? On that Supercard developer's forum, there were pages of people complaining abou lost saves.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

az_bont wrote:Have they fixed the saving problem with the newest update? On that Supercard developer's forum, there were pages of people complaining abou lost saves.
Yeah, they've fixed em, but now the new software patcher makes roms HUGE. So you have to make it run in windows 98 compatability mode to get decent sizes.

Good ole supercard.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I've REALLY got my eye on this one...

...though how much Memory does that Super Card have built in?