Atari Flashback 2 hack

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Atari Flashback 2 hack

Post by XDelusion »

WOW!

http://www.atarimuseum.com/fb2hacks/index.htm

This allows you to adapt it to use carts...
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I prefer using the original console...
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Smiley wrote:I prefer using the original console...
Why? Is it that you cant solder? Or is it that you dont like the composite video you get with the flashback? The fact you can use original controllers? Or is it that they actually made the flashback with all of the solder points printed on the board so modders and atari lovers could hack in a cart port or portableize it?
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

el atari me pone caliente!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Atari Flashback 2 hack

Post by MetaFox »

XDelusion wrote:WOW!

http://www.atarimuseum.com/fb2hacks/index.htm

This allows you to adapt it to use carts...
Yeah. That's the main reason I got the Atari Flashback 2.

And the Commodore DTV.

I'll be picking up a Radica Genesis for that reason too.

I enjoy little projects such as these.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

arrowhead wrote:
Why? Is it that you cant solder? Or is it that you dont like the composite video you get with the flashback? The fact you can use original controllers? Or is it that they actually made the flashback with all of the solder points printed on the board so modders and atari lovers could hack in a cart port or portableize it?
:lol: No, I've done several projects involving soldering...I guess I just don't see the point in buying something new when one can obviously perform a composite mod/and portabilize the original... :wink:
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Smiley wrote:
arrowhead wrote:
:lol: No, I've done several projects involving soldering...I guess I just don't see the point in buying something new when one can obviously perform a composite mod/and portabilize the original... :wink:
I dare you to make an Atari 2600 with composite as small as you can make one of these. The point is that it's a cool hack, not for you to find another place to brag about how old school you are.

We just got them in for christmas, so I'm gonna take a look at how much it'll cost me on my discount.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Smiley wrote:
arrowhead wrote:
now you're just lying over your head. it is impossibly hard to portablize the original. all the attempts i have seen have been using the atari jr, which is much smaller.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Quzar wrote:now you're just lying over your head. it is impossibly hard to portablize the original. all the attempts i have seen have been using the atari jr, which is much smaller.
I hate to be a spoil bug, but that's not entirely true. While your first comment is true - the original six switch Atari 2600 VCS is impossible to portablize, the more common Atari 2600 4-switch is the model that everyone uses for their portables.

There's a lot of extra space on the board, so it's easy to hack up, and it uses standard chips to which it's easy to solder wires.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

all portables i've ever seen, or at least the well made ones were based on the atari jr. and that both the six and 4 switch ones were much much harder than a simple solder job to portablize.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Quzar wrote:all portables i've ever seen, or at least the well made ones were based on the atari jr. and that both the six and 4 switch ones were much much harder than a simple solder job to portablize.
All of Benjamin Heckendorn's portables and the portables that are made using his book are made with the Atari 2600 4-switch.

I'm sure there are some people that have made portables with the Atari 2600 Junior (and possibly even the Atari 2600 VCS 6-switch - so my "impossible" comment is probably going to come back to haunt me as nothing is impossible), but I haven't seen them (or at least I don't remember seeing them).
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

For musical purposes I prefer the original for it's retro sound chip:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=101

Also for those of you looking for a 2600 Flash cart of sorts...

http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml

So does the Flashback 2 use original Joysticks, or is it incompatable like the 1st Flashback?

Metafox, thankx for mentioning other systems that have been hacked, this:

http://www.64hdd.com/projects/hardware/c64-dtv64.html

is awsome!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

XDelusion wrote:So does the Flashback 2 use original Joysticks, or is it incompatable like the 1st Flashback?
The joysticks that are included look like the originals, but the control is tighter than the original. I find this better, but a lot of people prefer the originals over the new ones in the Flashback. You can connect the originals to the Flashback, but some people have found that the controllers don't fit snugly into the machine, so they had to stuff the area around the plastic and the ports (I've never had that problem personally).

I almost picked up a Radica Genesis controller today, but it was 5:30AM on Black Friday (I wanted to check it out due to curiosity), so I didn't even bother. The lines at the checkout counters were insane.

EDIT: So much for the importance of waking up early on Black Friday. All three items I wanted to pick up at 5:30AM but didn't were still there at 12AM on Saturday, and still marked at the sale price. So, I now have three systems I need to hack one day (the Atari Flashback 2, the Commodore CTV, and the Radica Sega Genesis PlayTV).
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

The controls are TIGHTER? NO WAY! Man my Atari joysticks have always seemed tight, I'd hate to imagine what "tighter" would be like. :)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Oh, and there's a bunch of paddle games hidden in the flashback 2, which you can connect original paddles to if you have them.

The design of Flashback 2 was overseen by the head of the Atari Preservation Society, so it's safe to say the unit does do justice to the original.

Though, there are two revisions of the flashback 2 (And it's impossible to tell which one you have until you open it). One is missing voice synthesis (as heard in quadrun), the other has the voice synthesis but has severe scrolling problems.

I have the revision without the voice synthesis, and I like it a lot - the loss of a rarely used feature such as voice synthesis isn't that big of a deal to me - everything else seems spot-on.

As far as I know, there were plans to fix both of those problems, so there might even be a third revision out by now.

The Flashback 3 will be coming out in a year or two, and will tackle the Atari 8-bit line (either the 5200 or the computers, or a conglomerate of both), so I'm looking forward to that.