New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mariobro »

Now, along these lines, you know what would be REALLY cool? A "modular" controller.

I thought about this when I saw the video of a dude playing a shooter with the controller. If you could attach the "remote", to some sort of gun stock, with an analog stick on top, and a trigger on the bottom, then that would be ultra cool. You could cock the gun with the analog stick, and the same attachment could work as a handgrip, if turned sideways.

Lots of different configurations could be available. It could have a crank for fishing games. In survival horror games, one player could use it as a flashlight, like in the video, and the other player could use it as a gun.

However, there is no denying that you would look dumb playing this, and NOBODY likes looking like a fool when playing games. Trust me on this one. kids' parents will think they need therapy.

That's the reason a lot of virtual reality schemes fail. People say "I look like an ass playing it". At least that's what market research has shown us.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Anyone who has used a fishing controller on Sega Marine Fishing and Soul Calibur... or played the Star Wars trilogy arcade game where you use the joystick to fight Darth Vader and Boba Fett... knows the potentially immense kickassness of this device.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I like that gun Idea, and that racing wheel intrigues me.

OMG, IMAGINE AN ARCADE SETUP WITH THE REVOLUTION! IT WOULD OWN!!!111

But seriously, all one would do is get a decent tv scren, have a nice racing chair or something like that (from a car, perhaps), and all the different controller inputs on the side or back. Then all one would need to do is plug one's controller into, say, the racing wheel, pull the wheel and chair into a comfortable position, and play.

And since it is wireless (I presume), then no more nasty cables!
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

However, there is no denying that you would look dumb playing this, and NOBODY likes looking like a fool when playing games. Trust me on this one. kids' parents will think they need therapy.
The popularity of DDR suggests you're wrong.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

But seriously, all one would do is get a decent tv scren, have a nice racing chair or something like that (from a car, perhaps), and all the different controller inputs on the side or back. Then all one would need to do is plug one's controller into, say, the racing wheel, pull the wheel and chair into a comfortable position, and play.
Duct tape your TV to the bonnet of your car, duct tape the controller to the centre of your steering wheel, work out how to access the accelerate and brake buttons and you will have teh 1337est aracde setup in your own driveway!
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Sweet Jesus I am totally horny over this new controller.

Fun might be back. Creativity might be back.

Please God, let the third party develops jump on!
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Sweet Jesus I am totally horny over this new controller.

Fun might be back. Creativity might be back.

Please God, let the third party develops jump on!
Agreed.

I've been thinking positive since this thread first popped up, but only today did I watch the video explaining everything.

All I can say is |/|
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Yeah, at first sight I was planning Ninty's funeral.

But then I stared for a few minutes, and read about how effin awesome it works.

This really could leave the video game industry in the dust and get back to art.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9365885/

Gotta love unbiased reporting. If the headline's not enough, it ends with (and I paraphrase) "oh, by the way, I know this is an article about Nintendo's new controller for its upcoming console, but Microsoft is coming out with a console, too, remember? And it's going to make a lot of money! (MSNBC is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)"
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Heh, it doesn't end there. Look at page 2 :mrgreen:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I took a glance at page 2 and thought "fuck this shit. biased piece of crap!"
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ironically, reporting about it as 'a new type of remote control' with the examples given (swinging it to play baseball, using it to conduct an orchestra etc) is doing Nintendos job for them, if they're really after a non-gamesplaying audience.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Half a page about the headlined topic, and one and a half pages about how great the Xbox 360 (a name which somehow manages to be worse than simply putting a 2 on the end) is going to be. First class example of unbiased reporting. At least it only took thirty seconds to read.
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

I'm actually thinking about getting a Revolution now. This could be pretty fun if it really works as well as it they are trying to make it sound. However, although Nintendo is always the ones responsible for the innovations, I have to say that Sony and Microsoft are actually kind of smart by not innovating. Since typically moves like this don't sell a lot of consoles at first (and can easily fail), they can just sit back and see if it takes off, and if it does, they'll just create a similar peripheral, and if it doesn't, they don't lose anything. So basically, even though Nintendo should get all the rewards if this works, its not like they'll be the only ones with this technology, they'll just be copied in a very short time by the competitors.

-Matt
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

so it is agreed that both sony and microsoft are ball less wonders
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

or at least death's opinion of the brittish
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

What I don't get is why do you have to plug in the analog stick into the remote? Wouldn't this limit the functionality of the remote? I imagine it would be very hard to control a fencing game with the second piece attached.

Why not make the 2 pieces sync up wirelessly? Then you could move both of your hands around comfortably to wherever you want.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Pyrosurfer wrote:What I don't get is why do you have to plug in the analog stick into the remote? Wouldn't this limit the functionality of the remote? I imagine it would be very hard to control a fencing game with the second piece attached.

Why not make the 2 pieces sync up wirelessly? Then you could move both of your hands around comfortably to wherever you want.
Different setups are used for different games. That fencing game won't even use the analog stick addon.
It's thinking...