Read the Rules, but what are...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Tr?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Read the Rules, but what are...

Post by Tr? »

Before everyone starts saying they either want to get in before the lock or anything similar, I would just like to know what the following are:

Lemec, Obsidian

Got those from the forum rules... Are they commercial emulators or emulators that infringe on the Sega copyright?

I read the rules and know there is to be no discussion about them, but would like to know what they are and why they are banned since I have never heard of them before. But have heard of the other ones listed, and have been into dc emulation for about 3 years from this site..

And MODs... do not worry about me, this is the only question I have for this topic at hand. Once I know what these are and I guess why they are not to be discussed, then I shall speak no more of them... also, if they are indeed that bad, please just delete this post and I will be left wondering what they are, but will have a fair answer.

Thank you, and again, I do not want to know anything more about these than what they are and why they are banned.
crt023
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by crt023 »

I am hardly an expert on the matter but what your speaking of is a ripped version of the sega smash pack. It has a few of the better genesis titles on it. Someone hacked it to play all genesis games.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Sega's Smash Pack was a collection of old MegaDrive / Genesis games running under emulation. It had Sonic the Hedgehog, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2, Phantasy Star 2, Altered Beast, Columns, Shining Force, Wrestle War, Golden Axe, and Vectorman, along with a Dreamcast port of Virtua Cop 2 (from the Saturn) and Sega Swirl (a new puzzle game, also on some of the web browser discs).

Like most Dreamcast games, it was ripped, and released over the 'net.

Later on, someone pulled the emulator out by itself (without the other stuff), modified it to run other game ROMs, and put a crappy menu on it. Later still, someone else took that ripped version of the emulator, and put a different menu on it.

They were released under those two names. I don't know which is which, but that doesn't really matter.

At one point, many years ago, one of those (the later one, I believe) was actually available for download from this site, under the name "SegaGen", and was dicussed in the forums. We had tutorials on how to burn it, how to get it working, and all the other stuff. I think we also had a full version of Quake 1 (including the data files from the registered version - a big no-no), and a copy of Planetweb's web browser. They're all gone now, and haven't been available for years.

The reason you can't find any of this is because it all happened before the forums moved over the phpBB. None of the posts were coped over.

Anyway, they're considered bad because they're ripped copies of Sega's Smash Pack emulator. As such, they're no different than copies of any other commercial game.
Tr?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tr? »

Thank you for the info.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I never knew that.

Time to search for segagen. JK.

Actually, when did this all happen? How long ago was dcemulation warezy?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

For future reference, the ImageSearch function will find what you're looking for.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Later still, someone else took that ripped version of the emulator, and put a different menu on it.
Just to be clear, the "different menu" was released as its own package without the emulator; it wasn't a warez release per se.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Later still, someone else took that ripped version of the emulator, and put a different menu on it.
Just to be clear, the "different menu" was released as its own package without the emulator; it wasn't a warez release per se.
It was made with the Katana SDK and I highly doubt that it was a legit copy purchased form Sega.

For the record, Lemec is the name of the menu program and Obsidian is the group that the author belonged to. The author was CrowTRobo who is actually a pretty decent guy. I've dealt with him a lot in the N64 scene. In the N64 scene, the menu he released would have been considered perfectly legit. The Dreamcast scene is really very unique in its teatotalling approach to copyright infringement. I think that's a good thing (and it's probably largely due to the argument over the Smash Pack emulator) even though I also think very few of us are actually such legal zealots in private.

...word is bondage...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It was made with the Katana SDK
I should have expected that, but I wasn't aware of it.
The Dreamcast scene is really very unique in its teatotalling approach to copyright infringement. I think that's a good thing
Well, the best thing is that anyone can get the tools they need to start developing. I've seen people who are normally adamantly anti-warez defend "obtaining" SDKs because there's often no other viable option. I'm really glad that DC ended up going down a more open path.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Brymaster
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Brymaster »

BlackAura wrote:along with a Dreamcast port of Virtua Cop 2 (from the Saturn)
Pretty sure that Virtua Cop 2 was ported over from the PC version.

wow, how did i figure out how to mess up a quote?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Brymaster wrote:wow, how did i figure out how to mess up a quote?
It's not rocket science. ;)

You had the "Disable BBCode in this post" box checked.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Brymaster wrote:Pretty sure that Virtua Cop 2 was ported over from the PC version.
Yeah it was sadly, as it's not as good as the Saturn Version.

Smash Pack was only available in the US, But VC2 was available in japan as a single release.

BTW, Smash pack wasn't really that great in emulation terms. It was playable but far from perfect.
Pale Rider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Pale Rider »

all the menu in the lemec-obsidian smash pack is,is manifest.bin..its the menu core along with ginsu.ini and ginxfer.bin...they are on all the demo and free software given away for nothing by sega.they are used to launch different applications.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Matisfaction wrote:
Brymaster wrote:Pretty sure that Virtua Cop 2 was ported over from the PC version.
Yeah it was sadly, as it's not as good as the Saturn Version.

Smash Pack was only available in the US, But VC2 was available in japan as a single release.

BTW, Smash pack wasn't really that great in emulation terms. It was playable but far from perfect.
It was the sound that was the worst. Take Sonic 1... sounded like midi crap thrown in than real sound emulation (maybe it came off that way).

It was horrid in Phantasy Star 2 as well. I was so disappointed at the time. I think I had the disc less than 24 hours before I took it back to gamestop. At least a Phantasy Star compilation disc is coming here (though I hope it isn't butchered like some of the other Sega Ages stuff).
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Pale Rider wrote:all the menu in the lemec-obsidian smash pack is,is manifest.bin..its the menu core along with ginsu.ini and ginxfer.bin...they are on all the demo and free software given away for nothing by sega.they are used to launch different applications.
doesnt mean they arent still copyrighted...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man