Odd PS2 problem

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odd PS2 problem

Post by navi »

Ok the Ps2 boots up fine. but it just doesn't read discs. When I put in DVD's or PS2 games. It starts to read the disc then says "No Data" but for a brief second is says "Reading disc".

Anyways I wanted to know if it's a matter of cleaning the lens or something else that hopefully can be fixed. also if it is a matter of cleaning can anyone give me a few pointers when cleaning a ps2.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Might be a DRE.

try this site, they helped me:

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

I did followed the guide but it seems that it didn't do anything. and I tried it multiple ways as well.

That's where the problem is.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Try the Romeo mod, if its V9 or V10... Looks like it fromt he pic. anyway, what you do is lift the leg of an IC, and link that to +5v... Search for it and find the tutorial. Easy mod, brings most PS2's back to life... If only I new that *before* I sold mine on ebay... :roll:
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

navi wrote:I did followed the guide but it seems that it didn't do anything. and I tried it multiple ways as well.

That's where the problem is.
Then could the spindle hub need replaced? Is that what you are referring to?

http://www.gameconsolerepair.com sells them. cheaply, too.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

riva16 wrote:Try the Romeo mod, if its V9 or V10... Looks like it fromt he pic. anyway, what you do is lift the leg of an IC, and link that to +5v... Search for it and find the tutorial. Easy mod, brings most PS2's back to life... If only I new that *before* I sold mine on ebay... :roll:
I found this http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserV9.htm
Is this what your refering too?
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

but if it spins, just a little, its a dead laser.

what its doing is (assuming you dont have a mem card inserted) is when you eject/load the dvd tray, it reads the disc, or tries to. and for the second it tries to recognize if there is a cd in there, it says reading disc, and if it cant see one, it stops trying.

you can try the fix riva mentioned, but im still gonna say you need a new laser.

and did you try spinning the white cog wheel. you need to literally try it in every position. my old ps2 would work in 1 spot, but do absolutely nothing in the ones next to it.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

MKE wrote:but if it spins, just a little, its a dead laser.

what its doing is (assuming you dont have a mem card inserted) is when you eject/load the dvd tray, it reads the disc, or tries to. and for the second it tries to recognize if there is a cd in there, it says reading disc, and if it cant see one, it stops trying.

you can try the fix riva mentioned, but im still gonna say you need a new laser.

and did you try spinning the white cog wheel. you need to literally try it in every position. my old ps2 would work in 1 spot, but do absolutely nothing in the ones next to it.
I haven't tried it every single position but I'll give it a try. It sure beats having to get a new PS2.

If this doesn't work does anyone know of a place where I can get a replacement laser? perferably a reliable source.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ebay would be your best bet, but also try http://www.divineo.com i think they sell them...

just go to different modchip selling sites, they usually cary them. but google and try to find some forum reviews of peope that have ordered from them before.

and if the only thing youve taken apart is the dvd drive (no soldering to the mobo or anything like that and can put it back together almost perfectly), read through this
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

I'm just wondering (might help with the diagnosis), but does the PS2 in question play ANY discs? I understand movie DVDs and PS2 games were tried, but what about anything else? What about PS1 games? How about music CDs? What about the PS2 games? Were they all DVD-ROMs or were some CD-ROMs as well?