What's missing in BOR... Will these appear in the sequel?

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's missing in BOR... Will these appear in the sequel?

Post by jessman »

Hey everyone. Something's really been bothering me about BOR. I wasn't sure what it was until now though. Sure, it plays like a GREAT beat-em-up and all of the mods are amazing, but 4 things are just...missing. (Please don't flame me for the below comments. I'm mainly pointing out what I personally hope will be fixed in the next Senile Team game.)

First of all, why aren't there any arial grabbing moves? In Final Fight, Haggar FLEW and whipped some ass when you jumped while having the enemy in your clutches, but you can't jump, let alone flip over your opponent in THIS game engine.

Second, you can't grab weapons. Now, I hate to complain, but double dragon, battle toads, final fight, streets of rage, and more let you pick up weapons and mercilessly beat your enemy to a pulp, so why, oh why aren't we able to do that here?

Third, no running?! If you play TMNT, Battle Toads, Final fight 3, Streets of Rage 3, Golden Axe, etc. you can run by tapping forward twice. And, if you attack while running, you could at least ram an enemy in the gut or something...

Forth, and finally, there's no special scrolling. Play Streets of rage 2, Battle toads, Double Dragon, or TMNT the arcade game and you'll see that you can either scroll downward, climb ladders, jump up onto platforms. or experience many other non-linear ways of movement. The BOR engine, on the other hand, just gives you horizontal movement. Going from left to right, and nothing more.

I'm VERY sorry to those of you who will be against me in this post, but I just wanted to state some facts that many of you have either been too worried to talk about, or you just haven't even noticed that something was missing.

I'm not daring to say that I could ever make something this awsome, rather, I just wish to point out what I hope that we might get in the sequel to BOR. Please don't flame me for this thread.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You can go from right to left and even up and down. Like the elevator in SOR. Maybe I misunderstand. Running is in sequel - Age of the Beast.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

no man. I meant moving downward with the camera and the direction of the street gong downward also. Play the first level of SOR2 or the second world in the TMNT arcade game. It's not that bigga deal anyways. I just wanted to see if people felt the same way that i did...

<^_^>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Yeah I got ya. But I typed that all out on my Xbox pad, took ages. Hmm, AFAIK no you can't do it. With a source change, perhaps. In AotB? Maybe. They're taking their time with that though. So who knows what'll happen with movement in the sequel. Sorry I have nothing else to offer :P
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

nah, dude. i just wanted to state my feelings, whether i get help or not. the ONLY thing that i'm concerned about is...will AotB run on the Dreamcast? i strongly doubt that the system will have enough memory. maybe there's a way to make it so that games constantly run offa a cd, like neo geo cd and stuff. because otherwise, i really doubt that the poor lil system can take it.

<^_^>
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

jessman wrote:nah, dude. i just wanted to state my feelings, whether i get help or not. the ONLY thing that i'm concerned about is...will AotB run on the Dreamcast? i strongly doubt that the system will have enough memory. maybe there's a way to make it so that games constantly run offa a cd, like neo geo cd and stuff. because otherwise, i really doubt that the poor lil system can take it.
Don't you fret. AOTB will run on the DC. The DC is, by far, the most popular platform for BOR, and Team Senile knows it. They will do everything possible to make sure AOTB is ported to the DC.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
drikobruschi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: What's missing in BOR... Will these appear in the seque

Post by drikobruschi »

-
Last edited by drikobruschi on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
drikobruschi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drikobruschi »

-
Last edited by drikobruschi on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
aL BeasTie
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aL BeasTie »

Can DC run the engine? yes
Will it be able to run a full game? probably not
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Something else I thought of. I would like to see some sort of team actions. I've only ever seen it in a few games, but it's really cool when you have two players that can use a special move together.

I would also like to see an option to turn off the fact that your team mate can hurt you. It's really a pain when you're walking around on the screen, and all of a sudden you accidentally grab your fellow player. Then, there's no way to get out of that position except for one of you to hurt the other.

I remember enjoying Double Dragon so much because you could choose whether or not to have your actions harm your fellow player.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
aL BeasTie
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aL BeasTie »

I would also like to see an option to turn off the fact that your team mate can hurt you. It's really a pain when you're walking around on the screen, and all of a sudden you accidentally grab your fellow player. Then, there's no way to get out of that position except for one of you to hurt the other.

I remember enjoying Double Dragon so much because you could choose whether or not to have your actions harm your fellow player.
This was one of the first things added to OpenBor+ thanks to Lord_Ball.
current versions of Openbor are totally backwards compatible with older mods, just remake and burn your mods using the latest openbor DC .bin and you will have that option in the options menu, also you can stop enemies from falling when u respawn, and disable the blinking death animations. Also there is a speed option, I dunno if it's in the DC version (pretty sure there is) this might help some mods perform better, as you can adust the speed at which the game runs.
bramenjam
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by bramenjam »

aL BeasTie wrote:Can DC run the engine? yes
Will it be able to run a full game? probably not
The Dreamcast will be able to run the full game due to improvements in memory management. Don't worry, everything will run great.