how to easily remove triwing screws! (yes, a WORKING trick)

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how to easily remove triwing screws! (yes, a WORKING trick)

Post by spiroth10 »

Yes, I have found a working trick to do it! All you need is a flathead screwdriver about the size of the triwing screwdriver yyou would need!

so, all you do is stick the flathead on the screw at an angle, sort of lying on its side, and keep trying to turn it. eventually, the screw will get stripped a bit -- this is GOOD. eventually, it will either loosen up and start turning, or you will be able to stick your screwdriver into two of the slots and it will turn even more easily.

REMEMBER: try and keep the tip of the screwdriver in the center of the screw, unless you an fit it in two slots. and it HAS to be at an angle where you can get it in at least one slot... when you look at the screwdrivver tip, you should see somehting like this, for example: -

Ive already removed a bunch of screws this way, so dont tell em it doesn't work. also, you may dig into the plastic if the screw is in a hole (like in the back of the original GBA, dunno about the SP)
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Yea I have been doing this for a long time, the only thing is it takes a while and makes you frustrated. Also it left big "O" where the screw was but it works. I was planning to do this to all the my NES games and then replace them but I couldnt find a screw that would fit in place for the old one.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

If I can get at the screw easily, I'd just dremel it a bit so I can remove it with a flat head.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Tri-wing screws are pretty easy to remove (if tri-wring screws are those in shape of a Y). Don't modify the screw. Modify the flathead. It's worked for my GBA, well before it died at least.

Just file down the middle of the flathead. Make it looks like a mini two-prong fork.

Code: Select all

|          |
|    __    |
|   /  \   |
|--/    \--|
Then just fit it into two of the three slots and turn away.[/code]
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Personally, i have a screw driver that will almost fit, i put a bend in it so it fits into 2 out of the 3 sides, and it works nice. I replaced the screws with regular philips head screws, i hate nintendo sometimes though, at least they make actually try to keep people from opening up there stuff.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

I took a little bit of thin metal (actually one of those punch out PCI slot covers, I think), then cut it down to a tapered thin width.
Then bent it to a Y shape.

Erm...

Code: Select all

/
==<
   \
With one side 'crimped' like a U. I hope that made sense..;)

Made a useful little tool, but it didn't last long. By the time I'd gotten out all the screws, it was so bent and twisted around it wasn't usable anymore. Luckily I just needed to take the screws out and replace them with normal phillips screws that had the same size and threads..
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Ni-Mh Foe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ni-Mh Foe »

I've got another neat trick for those loosening those super-tight screws with one of those tiny screwdrivers. Tightly wrap duct tape around the handle for more leverage. The more tape, the better.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't. As for the remaining 1000 people, they don't understand anything.