a new version of dcplaya?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Arqueiro »

just forget to make a question, about the codec suport, how divx version it is compatible ?

i try somo old version and it work fine. what about the new ones ? i mean 5.02, 5.1 and 5.2 ?

another edit, the subtitle works really nice :P

thanks
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Chuck D. Head
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Chuck D. Head »

i have found a problem using the US version of MDK2's extras.
When I was playing the different out takes which are .wav, near the end of .wav file, the sound gets badly distorted.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Code: Select all

File  :  591 MB (591 MB),  duration: 2:01:48,  type: AVI,  1 audio stream(s),  quality: 19 %
Video :  571 MB,  655 Kbps,  23.976 fps,  320*240 (4:3),  DIVX = OpenDivx v4
Audio :  20 MB,  23 Kbps,  22050 Hz,  1 channels,  0x55 = MPEG Layer-3
WOOT!!!!!!!!
These are the infos of the video i encoded that AVICodec gave me.
DCDivX3/4 freezes a lot with this video bitrate and i don't use stereo sound, as my TV is mono.
The movie plays nicely , without freezes or desyncs. I only realized everything was frozen at 0'47'21 and the controller inputs responded no more (but the video stil played nicely). I had to reboot the DC after it.
As stated before, it miss pause/FF/FRW commands and clear screen function. Great software indeed.
It even played my 192kb/s CBR mp3s v1.2 didn't played.
It lacks ID3v1 and ID3v2 in my mp3, and all them have it.
And i got surprised when my wmas opened in it, flickier as hell and the buffer seemed not handle it well, but i'm very happy in see it in action.
A HTML viewer would rule too. All my mp3 cds have a table of contents in HTML for easy reference :)
Really the best player i've burned untill now \o/
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Since someone was mentioning their use of MP3PRO, I've got a question about that for zigziggy: Does dcplaya decode mp3pro at half or full frequency? For those who don't understand what I'm saying, mp3pro is "backwards compatible", but it has limits. If played on a non-mp3pro decoder, it plays at half the frequency, so a 44.1khz mp3pro file will play at 22.05khz, and thus sound like crap on a decent sound system (well not like crap, but you'd be better off using regular MP3 at that point).
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

About which version of xvid it supports, I don't know exactly , but it supports some, and all the one I encoded myself (I'm using xvid with mencoder). The best is to make some test.

About ID3 tags, they are back in my current version , so it will be in the final release.

HTML, sure that would be nice. I'm trying to port links (a text based web browser) but I don't yet how far I'll be able to go ...

About MP3PRO, I have no idea, that would be a question for Ben. The mp3 decoder I'm using is a version of mpg123 modified by him for VBR support.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

just one only thing that i would love to see supported (tought i don't know if it is possible):

psf files support.

internally should be like digital music, but i don't know if they require some kind of sound emulation....
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

by the way, ziggy did you check that spc pack? maybe you could understand why some spc won't play (maybe it depends by the emulator used for ripping them?)
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Alexvrb wrote:Since someone was mentioning their use of MP3PRO, I've got a question about that for zigziggy: Does dcplaya decode mp3pro at half or full frequency? For those who don't understand what I'm saying, mp3pro is "backwards compatible", but it has limits. If played on a non-mp3pro decoder, it plays at half the frequency, so a 44.1khz mp3pro file will play at 22.05khz, and thus sound like crap on a decent sound system (well not like crap, but you'd be better off using regular MP3 at that point).

this is a nice question, sure.

if you encode a file in 44hz 64kb mp3pro compression, but the player dont have the decoder, it will see like a 64kb and 22hz....

i encode a movie with mp3pro and test yesterday, but i dont know if dc playa was playng it at 22 ou 44hz
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

mpg123 doesn't support MP3Pro. As far as I know, there are no open source players that can play back MP3Pro, and only a handful of players at all that can handle it. I've seen one Winamp plugin, and that was about it.

You'd probably have more luck getting WMA files working. At least there is an open source decoder for those.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

BlackAura wrote:mpg123 doesn't support MP3Pro. As far as I know, there are no open source players that can play back MP3Pro, and only a handful of players at all that can handle it. I've seen one Winamp plugin, and that was about it.

You'd probably have more luck getting WMA files working. At least there is an open source decoder for those.
i heard that dcdivx can handle mp3pro, maybe it plays in 22hz :(
SynDalis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by SynDalis »

I understand you arent decoding mp3pro in its full glory, however, it sounds WORLDS better than a standard 22khz mp3 file. If you don't believe me, run a test for yourself ;)
The coming of the white....
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

SynDalis wrote:I understand you arent decoding mp3pro in its full glory, however, it sounds WORLDS better than a standard 22khz mp3 file. If you don't believe me, run a test for yourself ;)
sure !

i try it on winamp (without the mp3pro decode plugin)
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

SynDalis wrote:I understand you arent decoding mp3pro in its full glory, however, it sounds WORLDS better than a standard 22khz mp3 file. If you don't believe me, run a test for yourself ;)
sure !

i try it on winamp (without the mp3pro decode plugin)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Arqueiro wrote:i try it on winamp (without the mp3pro decode plugin)
Be careful - newer versions of Winamp decode MP3Pro files at 44kHz without any additional plugin.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

ive never seen that. as a matter of fact, my own stream @ http://wpkr.homeip.net:9000/ uses mp3pro. and last time i checked ive got winamp 5.03. without the plugin i get 16khz. with i get 32khz
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I'm running 5.0.3, and without the plugin installed I can decode MP3Pro streams at 44kHz. Perhaps it's something that Nero installed, when I put on the MP3Pro encoder. I can't use the proper Winamp plugin because it makes the volume on all my MP3s go up and down repeatedly, like somebody is sliding the volume knob backwards and fowards over and over again.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Thanks for the heads up, BA. I'll stick to standard MP3, unless WMA decoding can be implemented without eating up more cycles.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

bad news: i've connected the dc to my big, stereo tv, and spc and mp3 appears to have LOTS of wispers anc cracks while playing (NSF plays fine)

i'm the only one who noticed this? :|
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

az_bont wrote:
Arqueiro wrote:i try it on winamp (without the mp3pro decode plugin)
Be careful - newer versions of Winamp decode MP3Pro files at 44kHz without any additional plugin.
u use a old version :) 2.91 :P i tink is better :P

some testes results yesterday:

movie: Xmen
aspect: 400*190
duration: 1:35min
bitate: 600kbt
codec: open divx 4
audio 40bks 44hz mp3pro

results ?

it play very well !

i just notice a slowdown on the intro of the movie, but everithing is fine

and im using subtitle !!!
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

karsten wrote:bad news: i've connected the dc to my big, stereo tv, and spc and mp3 appears to have LOTS of wispers anc cracks while playing (NSF plays fine)

i'm the only one who noticed this? :|
Did you compare with dcplaya 1.2 ? Did you get better quality with it ?