New Gamer In town!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
azngamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by azngamer »

Eckostyle wrote:
perry wrote:I hate it because it's amazingly underpowered and only selling, and being the top console simply because it's has 'Playstation' wrote on the box and most people go 'OmgZ t3h Plastation TWO!!!11 and it was the onyl console to have GTA you know! OMG yes really t3h greatest game ever!!111'
Actually, It's the top console because its actually...*gasp*...it's a great console! People dont buy a console because of who makes, it's because the games they want to play are on it. What are you, some sort of "smart" gamer and most are blind gamers because they enjoy the PS2 and you dont? Screw off.
I agree with you totally Eckostyle, just because you think of things one way it doesnt mean that the whole gaming community should see it your way too.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

welcome :cheers:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Eckostyle wrote:
perry wrote:I hate it because it's amazingly underpowered and only selling, and being the top console simply because it's has 'Playstation' wrote on the box and most people go 'OmgZ t3h Plastation TWO!!!11 and it was the onyl console to have GTA you know! OMG yes really t3h greatest game ever!!111'
Actually, It's the top console because its actually...*gasp*...it's a great console! People dont buy a console because of who makes, it's because the games they want to play are on it. What are you, some sort of "smart" gamer and most are blind gamers because they enjoy the PS2 and you dont? Screw off.

You don't seem to realise how ubiquitous the PlaySation franchise is in the UK.
In terms of total percentage of marketshare and brand loyalty, the UK games market is one of not the strongest in the world for Sony. Its like the feeling towards AOL in america; its extremely big in its field, and very few people who buy it actually realise there is any alternative

It would just be nice of them to remember that when they're converting for PAL ocassionally :|
Sephiroth
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sephiroth »

Eckostyle wrote:
I agree with you Eckostyle, oh, and for your info perry, it dosn't have "Playstation" on the console, just PS2.
Ultimate Evil... :headbang:
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

welcome azngamer, see its really easy to start a war, its a war that can never end.lol :D
Sephiroth
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sephiroth »

gamedudex2 wrote:welcome azngamer, see its really easy to start a war, its a war that can never end.lol :D
LOL, I read somewhere that war is good for business.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I have to admit that people do buy the PS2 just because its Sony branded, but at the same time, that doesnt stop it from actually having good games.

Besides, youre a complete f**ktard if you hate a console because of why people buy it.

For "Playstation" to be a buyable brand, they had to do something right in the first place. And if it was extensive promotion over an actual quality product, then congratulations to them. It's nice to see a company that knows how to run a business.

Building "teh best console evar!" and sticking it on a shelf wont get you very far. You need to create a console which is financially acceptable for the company to produce, and a console that fits in with the market trend, then promote it...properly and extensively.

And thats exactly what Sony did. And that isnt their fault, its just the way society works.

While Microsoft shoved all the best hardware they have into a big black box, expecting the specification to sell it, Sony had created a largely inferiro console, but offers a much greater financial gain for them. It's the general public (or casual gamers if you like that term) that keep companies in business, not the hardcore gamers, so its the general public you need to aim your console at.

And as for Nintendo, well, the console is there, but they need to make a much bigger effort into shaking of their kiddy image. Showing clips of metroid prime or whatever every so often on tv isnt going to do it.

At the end of the day, hardcore games are a minority in the games market, and games companies arent there to please you, they're there to make money. And thats how Sony work. If you dont like that method of business, fine. But dont start complaining if we see another Sega-incident within the next 10 years if things dont change (I'm thinking mainly of Nintendo here, who are gonna get hit hard by the PSP, and not have the deep pockets to cover their asses).
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

WELCOME!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Sephiroth
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sephiroth »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, IT'S MR.T!!!
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I think he should become a randite! :D
Sephiroth
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sephiroth »

Super Sonic wrote:I think he should become a randite! :D
As I myself am a n00b, I'm not really sure what that is, enlighten us S. Sonic.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Eckostyle wrote:
No. Most owners of the PS2 are people who bought it simply because it was a new Playstation. Sorry to let you know but there is such as thing as brand asociation(sp:/) and this is a prime example of it. I never once said it wasn't a good console. I never said it never had good games. Im sorry to offend you're precious console. I'm just stating the fact that it is the most sold because of the name.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Perry, but "hating" a console because it sells and is underpowered is ridiculous.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

BoneyCork wrote:Perry, but "hating" a console because it sells and is underpowered is ridiculous.
Maybe I put it the wrong way. I hate the fact that such an underpowered console can be top of it's league. Iknow there are great games on the PS2. But if there is such a great game exclusive to PS2.. it could have been done a lot better if it was originally created for one of the higher platforms. Even worse is that most of these games when they come from PS, simply because the coders are too lazy/aren;t going to make much money of the other platforms give us a half assed port.

Does that make more sense and seem a lot less bias and stereotypical.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yes it does.

But thats what its always going to be like.
Why would a developer spend more money and time making a higher quality game for the gamecube and xbox when they can make a slightly inferior one for PS2, save resources in the process, and near-enough guarantee themselves significantly higher sales figures than on xbox and gamecube?

I understand there is a moral aspect too, and it would be nice to think that developers will disregard the extra profit so they end up creating a higher quality game. But that isn't how it is. Videogaming isnt a small-time geeky hobby anymore, its a major medium and a multi-billion dollar industry.

Like it or hate it, when it comes to decisions, shareholders and boardmembers come before me and you.

And also, you should be glad that developers dont just give up on the oldest console and only develop for the most powerful one. At the rate consoles are appearing now, knowing that a new console means the near-instant death of the one you already have, it could get very tedious, and VERY expensive.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

BoneyCork wrote:Yes it does.

But thats what its always going to be like.
Why would a developer spend more money and time making a higher quality game for the gamecube and xbox when they can make a slightly inferior one for PS2, save resources in the process, and near-enough guarantee themselves significantly higher sales figures than on xbox and gamecube?

I understand there is a moral aspect too, and it would be nice to think that developers will disregard the extra profit so they end up creating a higher quality game. But that isn't how it is. Videogaming isnt a small-time geeky hobby anymore, its a major medium and a multi-billion dollar industry.

Like it or hate it, when it comes to decisions, shareholders and boardmembers come before me and you.

And also, you should be glad that developers dont just give up on the oldest console and only develop for the most powerful one. At the rate consoles are appearing now, knowing that a new console means the near-instant death of the one you already have, it could get very tedious, and VERY expensive.
Heh I know that I think im just pissed at it. There wasn't really a transition if ya get me. Back in the day the Snes/Mega-Drive arguments were fair. And going back to real gamers was even better where games was games etc. Just a shame and im realizing it's just how pissed I am at the current state of gaming.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Most owners of the PS2 are people who bought it simply because it was a new Playstation. I'm just stating the fact that it is the most sold because of the name.
See, this is the kind of ignorant bullshit that I cant stand. Did you personally ask every PS2 buy why they bought it, or are you just stating this "fact" based on a few people that you know(my bet goes toward the latter)? I personally think you use that tired excuse because you dislike the console the majority of gamers enjoy.
Sorry to let you know but there is such as thing as brand asociation(sp:/)
Of course. Want to know why the PS2 has it? The PS1 was an excellent system, and Sony delivered with its PS2, improving on it. You think it just came from nowhere?
Im sorry to offend you're precious console.
You're not offending "my precious console". You just sounded rather full of yourself. =P
Last edited by Eckostyle on Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

It's people hell-bent on always having the absolute bestest graphics in the whole wide world that have lead to a rush to produce next-generation console prematurely. I seriously doubt the jump from PS2 to PS33, Xbox to Xbox 2 and so on, will be anywhere near as impressive as previous ones. I'd gladly wait a good few years more, so that the next set of consoles will be truly worth it.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

welcome!!

sice your from japan and you guys there are soo much more advanced why do u like ps2? arent u guys on like ps15 by now?
crabcakes
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

mattthemodder wrote:Welcome :P Toilets are down the hall on the left :wink:
no wonder i couldnt find it, i was told to stay to the right....

neway, welcome..
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods