2d Rpg Engine?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2d Rpg Engine?

Post by Master Higgins »

I am just wondering if anyone has written or tried to write one for DC and would like to give me and Bokkire Jin whatever they have done for it, we were hoping to make a lil homebrew rpg as a first project and it would be nice ot have a comfortable starting point to work from. But, doing it from scratch would work too. Thanx
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

i think bluecrab is working on one :)
pepitonet
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by pepitonet »

Mr Siggler and others were working on one, but we haven't heard of it in over a year, maybe they quit.
BlueCrab's engine looks pretty good,hopefully he won't go the way the others have gone.

Have you guys though of porting one of those open source engine, there are qite a few at sourceforge, i don't know the details of how hard would it be to port those engines but the code used seemed basic enought that it wouldn't require much power to be run.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

pepitonet wrote:Mr Siggler and others were working on one, but we haven't heard of it in over a year, maybe they quit.
BlueCrab's engine looks pretty good,hopefully he won't go the way the others have gone.
DC-RPG is 3D ;)

I've screwed around with an iso-metric type Diablo engine called Altered God by David Piott. It's on my SDL page. I also tried a to get another 2d engine running done by the same guy, but that was months ago and I didn't get it working. It compiled, but I hacked the hell out of it and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it here:

http://sphereous.kfa.cx/
pepitonet
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by pepitonet »

WillSams wrote:
pepitonet wrote:Mr Siggler and others were working on one, but we haven't heard of it in over a year, maybe they quit.
DC-RPG is 3D ;)

I've screwed around with an iso-metric type Diablo engine called Altered God by David Piott. It's on my SDL page. I also tried a to get another 2d engine running done by the same guy, but that was months ago and I didn't get it working. It compiled, but I hacked the hell out of it and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it here:

http://sphereous.kfa.cx/
I would say DC-RPG is DEAD, over a year with no reports and i seen Mr Siggler around in the forums.
ImbuildinganarcadefromDC
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ImbuildinganarcadefromDC »

I wish I could do this Homebrew stuff. I always wanted to make a like expanded version of Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past (not an actual expansion, just a similar game but much much larger)... I think it would be crazy, like make it look like the old Graal Design
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

pepitonet wrote:I would say DC-RPG is DEAD, over a year with no reports and i seen Mr Siggler around in the forums.
Believe me, it's not.
ImbuildinganarcadefromDC wrote:I wish I could do this Homebrew stuff.
It's not too late to learn. 3 years ago, all I ever knew was BASIC. I'm not the most technical guy in the world when it comes to C/C++, but I know enough to be effective.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

ImbuildinganarcadefromDC wrote:I wish I could do this Homebrew stuff. I always wanted to make a like expanded version of Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past (not an actual expansion, just a similar game but much much larger)... I think it would be crazy, like make it look like the old Graal Design
http://www.cprogramming.com/ >> Great place to start.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: 2d Rpg Engine?

Post by BlueCrab »

Master Higgins wrote:I am just wondering if anyone has written or tried to write one for DC and would like to give me and Bokkire Jin whatever they have done for it, we were hoping to make a lil homebrew rpg as a first project and it would be nice ot have a comfortable starting point to work from. But, doing it from scratch would work too. Thanx
You're welcome to use the ljsdcdev RPG engine, written by me. Right now my main page of my website seems to be down, so I'll just point you to the download page: http://ljsdcdev.sunsite.dk/dl.php
Its GPL'ed so keep that in mind if you ever do any modifications to it (you must release them under the GPL). If you have any questions, just ask.
Hilltopper
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hilltopper »

I thought that there was a recent update on dc-rpg showing a screenshot. It was posted not too long ago, I'll do a search and get back to ya.

found it. Was posted right around this past christmas so it is fairly recent.

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... ight=dcrpg
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

WillSams wrote:It's not too late to learn. 3 years ago, all I ever knew was BASIC. I'm not the most technical guy in the world when it comes to C/C++, but I know enough to be effective.
Maybe so, but some people are less able to pick up coding. Anyone can do it, but for some its hard to create things on their own, figure out how to do things effectively.
_X_
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by _X_ »

http://ljsdcdev.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... c.php?t=42
this is my character for Blue Crab's rpg