How good is the Iris3d graphics engine?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Chuck D. Head
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How good is the Iris3d graphics engine?

Post by Chuck D. Head »

I want to make a 3d fighting game, kinda like a primative soul calibur, but I do not have the time to code a graphics engine myself. So, how good is the Iris3d engine? What effects does it have? Can this engine push complicated models? How many polygons could put on a model? Does it use the PVR2? Does it use the vector quantization texture compression? Basically, I am asking how good the graphics could be if I spent months working on a game based on the Iris3d engine?
dciris
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by dciris »

The irirs 3d engine is avery nice engine if you put the work in you will definately see the results. I have got very high poly models to display but as far a exact specs I'm not quite sure you could check the home page. The effects and capabilities are best described through the examples boxed with the engine it does have particle effects bone and vertex animation, lighting and collison detection to name a few but I haven't quite figured out the opcode aspect yet and also have had trouble comipling the mini games. I'm still very much in a learning stage myself I have had a lot of fun with the engine so far. If you really want to make 3d fighter for the dream this engine is where its at. you could also check boob for dc fighting files to see the overall source and maybe even mod that.
Chuck D. Head
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Chuck D. Head »

So if you had to put a number on the max number of polygons per character for a 3d fighting game using this engine what would it be? I just need a rough estimate to work off of. Any information would be helpful.
dciris
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by dciris »

the best advice I could give would be to make a model(s) the exact way you want rhem (within reason) Then do test directly on the dream to see if your poly counts are feasible if not optimize the model but at least you always have the hi res model. Other things to take into acount are texture size and animation data, effects they will also consume the dreams resources...tests are the best bet
gruiiik
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by gruiiik »

Hi, making a 3d fighting is not very easy, good luck :). You can take a look to epifighter wich is a 3d fighting game made using iris. If you look at soul calibur, each time a frame is rendered, ~8000 poly are displayed. You can do that with iris (with certain condition). The major problem is to find good graphist that can handle low poly modeling (and texture mapping) without pain.
For the animation you can use iris bones system that will, i think greatly help you.

PS: in epifighter the player model is compose of ~1200 poly if i remember right.
Bye. Olivier.
it290
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by it290 »

Depending on what software you're using, you might be able to build higher poly models and then reduce the polygon count. I use Lightwave and I have a plugin for this purpose that was designed by Sony for use with Playstation games- it works quite well, but you still have to tweak the models a fair amount after you reduce their polygon count.