Porting a Games Factory game to be playable on Dreamcast

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Porting a Games Factory game to be playable on Dreamcast

Post by Veggita2099 »

Just wondering if there is away to do this. I am not sure what programming language this software uses. But when you save the game as a .exe file it makes a .exe and then has the .gam file. If there was a way to do this we could see TONS of new Homebrewed games.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Most likely the .gam file is the actual game, while the .exe is just an interpreter for that file..

-miah
nowiamit
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Great Idea!

Post by nowiamit »

Now that would be a great idea! I have tons of homebrewed Games Factory games, and really would like to share them for the DC :)
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Well good luck. Somebody else already mentioned that Game Factory used DirectX and other Windows specific code for a lot of things.
-miah
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Slamoid »

The one good thing about porting somthing to a whole nother system: There's always a way to make somthing totally new.

Isn't there a way to simulate a DirectX protocall without having DX installed? And besides, the actual game is in the GAM file, so if somone just made a translator for the dreamcast, it would just work like an Emulator!!!
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It would probably be a matter of porting the games factory program I would guess? Then the gam files could be loaded somewhat like roms.

Another idea would be if clickteam was to write a program that was just meant to load the .gam files for the Dreamcast. I seriously doubt they would do this though. And if they did it would cost money since they are out to make money. Since they have the sourcecode, and are familar with it id say it they really wanted to they could. But since the dreamcast is dead they probably wouldn't make enough money to warrant making such a thing :(.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
shinokou
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by shinokou »

this whole thing has been brought up before. Cheechthemighty and I have actually contacted Clickteam (makers of TGF) about this, and they reccommend waiting for Multimedia Fusion 2 to come out, which WILL run Games Factory games (as well as other Clickteam products), and is being built for easy porting. What would be REALLY nice is if sega released the SDK (making this easier)... which would give us access to the modem (no bba, BLAH!) and MOO could be ported along with MMF 2 or TGF.. then we could make online dreamcast games WITHOUT programming experience (just some server knowledge... whcih i have :) )
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Hey im likin tha sound of this. When MMF2 gets released, if it ever gets ported i'd start up site with all games made by DCEmu'ers. Lovely idea!
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Miles McCloud
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Miles McCloud »

Such a thing would make me the happiest DC owner in the galaxy. Most games however are made with MMF1 nowadays though. So it would probably be best to wait until MMF2 were to come out. I bet you could get support and maybe even a sourcecode from Clickteam. I'm sure the lure of being able to "program" your own console game would make quite a few DC owners buy clickteam products.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

mmf, cnc, tgf, and k&p all use lots of asm....porting would be so much of a hassle. Course their new stuff is being designed with portability in mind. Has anyone asked about Jamagic being ported? I know a linux version is supposed to become available...maybe if linux for the DC improves there would be a greater chance of seeing Jamagic games running on the DC. Not really sure if linuxDC (or whatever it is called) supports opengl yet though...Hmmm.....