Sega to make a new Dreamcast game!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MystiK »

Puyo puyo is a well respected game series in Japan not some crappy American License ok.
I'm not discrediting the Puyo Puyo series, but rather saying that this move is retrograde. It would make more sense to develop another sports title for the XBox I would think. Or maybe even Puyo Puyo for the Dreamcast AND some or all of the other front running game systems (Cube,Box,PS2). Or what about a new system?

The reality is, there are still thousands of Dreamcasts selling for next to nothing in the Thrifties and Classified Ads - (My son is selling his DC and all his games to buy a Gamecube,etc etc) and cheap in the Gamestop's and EB's. For the release of this to be a hit in the US, it would mean that everyone would drop their higher end systems and suddenly revert back to a DC, which is so unlikely that sega doesnt even care to predict the possibility of it happening.

Im not THAT negative to just come out and criticize sega's decision for no reason.
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
MooGliSH
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MooGliSH »

Or maybe even Puyo Puyo for the Dreamcast AND some or all of the other front running game systems (Cube,Box,PS2).
A new version of Puyo Puyo will see a release over the 4 current home formats (DC,PS2,Cube and Xbox) called Puyo puyo Fever.
Nuf Said
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Sweater Fish wrote:Anyway, which release list are you looking at, Kron? This is the one I'm going by:

http://sega.jp/dc/schedule.html

Let's Make a Monster got taken off that list the exact same day Monster Island for Gamecube and Puyo Puyo Fever for all the systems were announced. I'm sure of it because I actually had a look at the list the very day before. It'd be cool if Let's Make a Monster was still in the works, because like I said, it sonded cool. And, it's true, I don't know for sure that Monster Island is the same game, but what's known of each game's premise is pretty indentical: build your own custom creatures and then send them to battle. So that plus the way the Gamecube version was announced the same day the DC version went off that list makes me think they're the same game.
Awwww pants, Your right I must have been looking at a cached page :(

Thats a damn shame then :cry:
MooGliSH wrote:
Or maybe even Puyo Puyo for the Dreamcast AND some or all of the other front running game systems (Cube,Box,PS2).
A new version of Puyo Puyo will see a release over the 4 current home formats (DC,PS2,Cube and Xbox) called Puyo puyo Fever.
Nuf Said
Exactly, Mystik do you see now?
Last edited by The Kron on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

The Kron wrote:Awwww pants, Your right I must have been looking at a cached page :(

Thats a damn shame then :cry:
Well, Liltherb/Real Herb and Ring Age have disappeared form that list a couple only to return, so maybe the same will happen with this game. If it is the same as Monster Island, maybe Sega will announce it as a cross-platform release like Puyo Fever. If the Dreamcast were to be reborn, I would imagine it would be something like that, just getting a few cross-platform titles here and there, not really any exclusives.

...word is bondage...
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

Dreamcast still has a lot of power under the hood when it comes to games.

a lot of new console & arcade games don't require the processing power and memory found on the Xbox or Game Cube and they certainly don't fill the entire capacity of a DVD either.

That being said, Dreamcast technically is not left in the dust yet, and can still support many of todays games.

(Is it that companies are focusing too much on the technology, where super cpu power and gobs of memory are making developers sloppy since they don't have to work on making their code optimized and efficient?)
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

(Is it that companies are focusing too much on the technology, where super cpu power and gobs of memory are making developers sloppy since they don't have to work on making their code optimized and efficient?)
wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. :wink:
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Wow :o

I never expected to see Sega develop another game for the Dreamcast. This is definately something that I intend to import when it comes out - just for the sake of showing Sega support for their decision to officially extend the life of the Dreamcast.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

MetaFox wrote:This is definately something that I intend to import when it comes out - just for the sake of showing Sega support for their decision to officially extend the life of the Dreamcast.
It might even be a good game. ;) I also intend to get this game.. hopefully it won't get cancelled.
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Sweater Fish wrote: the Gameboy was just about dead in the mid-'90s (the Game Gear was actually outselling it) just before Pokemon came out and revitalized the whole system.
I remember that. The Gameboy was dead (there were no new games for a while) and I specifically remember Nintendo saying how Pocket Monsters would be one of the last games for it. I'm glad that was not the case though. Funny how all other handhelds that competed against the GB were better but all lost.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The GB got there first, and it had a couple of games which no other console had (Pokemon later on, Tetris at the beginning). All they needed to do when it was pretty much dead was release a game that a lot of the millions of people who already had a GB would want to buy, and which is good enough (or hyped enough at least) to entice people without GBs to buy one.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

BlackAura wrote:The GB got there first, and it had a couple of games which no other console had (Pokemon later on, Tetris at the beginning). All they needed to do when it was pretty much dead was release a game that a lot of the millions of people who already had a GB would want to buy, and which is good enough (or hyped enough at least) to entice people without GBs to buy one.
The original Pokemon was a great game. It was easy to get into, quite fun, and fairly original for it's time. This was before all the Pokemon craze hype and the re-releases of the same game with different Pokemon. The re-releases would definately be categorized in the overhyped category.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Chainfist wrote:
That being said, Dreamcast technically is not left in the dust yet, and can still support many of todays games.
Without a doubt. My brother has a Gamecube with a lot of Sega releases and I haven't seen one yet that couldn't be done on DC.

As well as that the DC games ported to Gamecube are slower and not as graphically polished as the DC versions. Crazy Taxi is a real pain to try and play on GC when you're used to the original.

Sega could easily release it's new GC games on DC without loss of quality.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think consoles are starting to get near the same stage that PCs have been at for a while - the hardware's starting to get beyond what most developers can make good use on. There are, of course, still developers who can do some truly amazing things with them, but they're quite rare.
evilsock
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by evilsock »

My take on this - I think that SEGA releasing a 'toy' game for DC just after they've shutdown the PSO DC servers is like the last throw of the dice.

Remember what Namco released after Soul Caliber? (Mr Driller)...

I reckon that far from this being the beginning of a new-age for DC, I think it's actually the last nail in it's coffin.

Why the hell couldn't SEGA have released Panzer Dragoon Orca for DC instead?

:X
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

Sega will start making games for the Dreamcast again when they restart DC console production. Or a "Dreamcast II" of sorts, in the style of the Mega Drive/Genesis 2 and Master System 2. Something with more features... DVD support, built-in modem & BBA...

Hey, it could happen. ;)
- Interesting.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

It WILL happen. Quote me! :evil:
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
evilsock
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by evilsock »

Hmmm Dreamcast 2 sounds awfully like an X-Box IMO.

Nintendo are halting production of their GC - it that isn't enough of a wake-up call for you about what's happening then you need smelling salts.

Sony and M$ are the new kings of the consoles. As far as I can see, what was left on Sega's table for games that maybe *would* have been released for DC have now been released on other platforms, and frankly there isn't a great deal to be getting excited about.

The next 'killer app' for consoles is here already and it's multi-player via the internet. Sega was bang on when it decided to build in multi-player options - they just did it all a bit too soon. I'm still playing RtCW multi-player for PC 2.5 years after it's initial release just for kicks. Of the games that were multi-player on DC, only Q3 can survive, and even then only if the PC servers are running protocol 43.

If DC was 're-released' it would have to be as a 'second string' machine, along with PSX. The only way forward for Sega if it has serious ambitions to re-enter the market would be to buddy-up with M$ and have M$'s next machine Sega branded - funnily enough despite the fact I despise M$, their console is pretty much what I imagined a DC2 would be :?

What really lets the original DC down is the fact that there is no storage unit (HDD or Zip) - if it had one then you could expect the DC to live for maybe another 5 years.

I'll eat my dirty underpants if Sega start releasing new AAA titles for DC :O
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

evilsock wrote:Hmmm Dreamcast 2 sounds awfully like an xbox IMO.
Ewww, Make the bad man stop mummy!

Wrong for so many reasons.
evilsock wrote: Nintendo are halting production of their GC - it that isn't enough of a wake-up call for you about what's happening then you need smelling salts.
Cube production was halted for 3 months due to an overstock, considering the Cube has been outselling the PS2 in Japan for the last 2 weeks its not going to be a problem again for a long time.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

evilsock wrote:What really lets the original DC down is the fact that there is no storage unit (HDD or Zip) - if it had one then you could expect the DC to live for maybe another 5 years.
Am I the only one who absolutely HATES the idea of Hard drives in a game console? And DC had a "storage unit"... It's called a VMU or memory card if you will.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Yeah, but that storage unit was way too small. 128k of space (the GC MC59 is 512k) is not too much for saving things as online downloads (PSO downloadable quests, for example).

Wait until True Phantasy Live comes to the Xbucks, then you will see why a HD is not such a bad idea for a Console. I will not get an Xsux for ONE game, though.

I remember that it was said that the High Speed port of the GCN was to be used by a IBM HD. Now it is just for the GB Player.
Last edited by neoak on Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.