Gamebit screw removal on N64

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gamebit screw removal on N64

Post by riva16 »

Yo. I just got an N64. Needs some work. I need to get in so I can change the LED, and clean it out. Also replace the reset and power buttons. I noticed it's got those fricken gamebits. They seem to be pretty close tot he top, unlike SNES, where I could almost remove them with a needle nose plier. Could that work, or is there another method I could do, beside buying gamebit screw drivers. I don't know where to get them or feel like buying them. I heard some weird method of melting plastic, or getting it hot so it would mold to the screw? How would that work? Thanks.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Are these the "external line head" screws, with the 6 little triangles cut on the outside?
If so, take a flatblade screwdriver roughly the size of the screw and file it so it has two little prongs. Should be sufficient to open up the machine.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Those are nomad screws sixteen-bit. I think you can take it apart with a normal flat head screwdriver, be careful not to strip it though.
mabartsabay
Lord of Chivalry
Lord of Chivalry

Post by mabartsabay »

I recently bought a 30 piece security screwdriver set on ebay for under $20. It's got the triwings and SNES type screwdriver bits(along with many others)
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

mabartsabay - Do you know the name of the kit (model # or maker). And perhaps a place to buy it online.

Also, how "quality" are the drivers. Will the bits dull easily, are they cheap feeling?
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

you could always try the melted pen end method, hey its cheap right? Put the end of a pen under a flame, and when it starts melting, stick it over a gamebit screw so it melts over it. Now you have a Gamebit screw pen :p
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Its got the screws that somethig has to go over the screw for it to open. The screws have star like bumps in the center for the driver to fit over. Couldn't I take an old screwdriver with replaceable bits, and fill it with hot solder. Then melt the solder and quickly put on one of the screws. The first time it would probably solder right to the screw, but once I get the screw out and the solder should already be hard, BOOM! A gamebit screw driver, right?
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Solder isn't really all that strong, probably not strong enough to open a screw but try it anyway just in case. ;)
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Normal solder won't hold it but you can get like a aluminium solder
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I got it today. I melted the tip of a pen, then placed on screw and waited til it dried. I had to re melt the pen for each screw, but eventually got all 6 out. Didn't take that long. I'm replacing the gamebits with phillips head screws. The pen trick works really good! i was surprised. I'll post pics of my 2 mods i've done to my N64 so far later. I have a clear purple controller with 2 white LED's. One in each handle. And I replaced the red LED with a blue one. Looks good! The blue LED doesn't pop on AS SOON as the N64 turns on like the red LED. It fades in after a sec. or two. It looks really cool.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I melted the tip of a pen, then placed on screw and waited til it dried
I could never get that to work :(

Sweet have you got a pic :P
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I don't have a pic yet. My camera's battery is dead. My camera ain't worth the cost of the battery. J@mcams suck! I think I've said that 100 times ont his forum alone! I'll get one soon. I think N64's look the coolest with blue LED's out of any other console. Seriosly. The pen trick is real simple. The trick is to use a strong plastic pen, not the cap of a pen, or a flimsy pen. Keep it skinnier than the screw head to. When it's hot and ready to mold, the tip should form over the screw. I advise once the screws are out, replace them with phillips head screws. Err. Thats almost an obvios thing to do.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I think I've said that 100 times ont his forum alone!
Yeah you have :lol:

I'll probably give the pen trick another go :P
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

i opened my n64 with some small scissors and i too replaced the crap screws with philips heads :wink:
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
mabartsabay
Lord of Chivalry
Lord of Chivalry

Post by mabartsabay »

NiGHTSFTP wrote:mabartsabay - Do you know the name of the kit (model # or maker). And perhaps a place to buy it online.

Also, how "quality" are the drivers. Will the bits dull easily, are they cheap feeling?
I'm actually not sure yet. I haven't really gotten it yet. The guy should be getting the MO today. I could go check *checks ebay* Meh, it doesn't have like a name or anything. I'll post the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3041438848

He's got like seven of these he's selling, check his other auctions.