why do we emulate on the dreamcast?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why do we emulate on the dreamcast?

Post by spag »

this is a puzzling question...

why do we all (yes, me included and i don't know why) want to emulate things on the dreamcast when the same things can be emulated on a pc with much better quality?

what are your reasons for dc emulation?

:?:
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

sitting on a couch in front of 25in tv is better
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

pavelbure wrote: sitting on a couch in front of 25in tv is better
I second that ;) :D

Programming experienece (or passion of your first console), extending the use of a console, increasing the library of available games, for fun, or plain simply for the hell of it all. Those are just some of the reasons.

Plus, you can easily take your DC anywhere like your friends house and party over there with some classic games, unlike taking your PC somewhere else which I doubt anyone does that. ;)
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

spag wrote:this is a puzzling question...

why do we all (yes, me included and i don't know why) want to emulate things on the dreamcast when the same things can be emulated on a pc with much better quality?

what are your reasons for dc emulation?
well.... why not?

because we CAN, and it's very satisfying getting a program to run on an alien system, PC's are a doddle, but another platform..... *drool*
pavelbure wrote:sitting on a couch in front of 25in tv is better
i hear ya, better than a PC any day
http://www.Spider-Console.co.uk
the ONLY place to leave
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I am in for
1. Passion of first console
2. Cos u get that feeling of "yea look wot i've done" when u get it working"
3. It gives me sometihng to do.
4. I like to praise people as it amazes me when someone can get a console running on an alien console.

(and for quake 1 on my telly :lol: )
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I can think of some reasons.

A. All old games look ultra killer on dc (ever played nester 5 with a vga cable? zelda looks great. All games look great).

B. We actually know how to program and make games selfboot for this console. Xbox will probably be next one to figure out that, then maybe game cube, they'll be on ps3 before a ps2 is ever hacked.

C. The dreamcast is more powerful than a ps2, and a lot more fun than a gamecube. I don't have anything to say about xbox, but my loayalty is for sega consoles. Still if I ever buy a new console and it's not a sega, it'll be an xbox cus I hate sony and nintendo.

D. Many people hate sony, and don't give a damn bout no crazy nintendo. And remember, how many nintendo consoles can run a normal cd? Hmmmm... none that I know of. And when this stuff started, there was no gamecub to my reccolectin.

E. DREAMCAST RULES ALL!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Basically, in my oppinion... playing games on a PC sucks!

You can't have a decent 2-player game on a PC... consoles rule! :P
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

It's like DVDs...

Who would wanna sit around a computer to watch them even though you would probably get a sharper image?

Plus my 64inch screen kicks j00r ass! :)
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

64 inch TV? You wish! :lol:

In any case, there is no question about it. Games DESIGNED for play on consoles... BELONG on consoles! Simple as that.

The Dreamcast is the most powerful and easiest (and cheapest) to develop for console out there (so I understand). The console is... Dreamcast. :D
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Van_Lardo wrote: 64 inch TV? You wish! :lol:
Nope, only thing I have ever one in my LIFE! Sony Triniton 64inch 100hz TV :)

Doesn't work with lightguns though :(
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I like emulation on the DC because my comp is FOR playing mp3s, encoding, downloading, playing movies or tv eps, and the internet (and emus that aren't on the DC ;) ). Playing video games on a console feels more "right" than on a PC.
Hollywood Hasney wrote:Plus my 64inch screen kicks j00r ass!
:eek: Damn I'm jealous!
FatHeadPI wrote:they'll be on ps3 before a ps2 is ever hacked.
I've heard of a SNES emu on PS2 that is better than Dsnes. (in private beta)

-Zac
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Yep, soon to be public beta. From what I heard now, full-speed without sound :mrgreen:

"The dreamcast is more powerful than a ps2" Exsqueeze me? Especially not in arcade emulation terms since it has 128mb of RAM

"We will be on PS3 before PS2 is hacked" Again... HUH? Theres been demos running off of CDRs for about a year now, visit http://www.napalm-x.com Theres even a coders cable

I doubt GC will be hacked much... it don't even READ CDs
Last edited by Holly Hasney on Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: Yep, soon to be public beta. From what I heard now, full-speed without sound :mrgreen:
You have to have a mod-chip to play it right??

-Zac
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Not if you do something else involving sticking a plastic knife into your PS2 :)
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Excuse me?... Dreamcast emulation...right?

I hope you people aren't seriously considering dumping our favourite little console are you? ;)
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

No.. it's just that...

1/2 the games I now wanna play won't fit in the DCs RAM! :)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Van_Lardo wrote: I hope you people aren't seriously considering dumping our favourite little console are you? ;)
I'll stick with emulation on my DC until XBOX gets some emulators (hopefully it will ;) ) then I'll get a XBOX. Was the MAME port to XBOX real or was that BS?? If it is real, will it ever surface?? Maybe packaged with some other XBOX software?

Not if you do something else involving sticking a plastic knife into your PS2
A plastic knife, heh. Sounds easier than selfbooting a DC emu (for newbs).

-Zac
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Tut tut... you have a TV that size and you still want more?

Shame on you, Hasney... Shame... :P

We've seen the results of home-brew games as well though... perhaps in the future we could see releases of original doom-styled games or 3D fighting spectaculars... :D
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

I'm not sure about the Box, it apparently has some serious protection on it...

MAME was legit, but the guy didn't wanna break the law which he would have by relasing it (Making it on a real dev kit against the licensing agreement... or something like that ;))
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: Yep, soon to be public beta. From what I heard now, full-speed without sound :mrgreen:

"The dreamcast is more powerful than a ps2" Exsqueeze me? Especially not in arcade emulation terms since it has 128mb of RAM

"We will be on PS3 before PS2 is hacked" Again... HUH? Theres been demos running off of CDRs for about a year now, visit http://www.napalm-x.com Theres even a coders cable

I doubt GC will be hacked much... it don't even READ CDs
I thought that PS2 had 32mb of RDRAM and 4mb of videoram, or something like that?