Nester~1 Rom Naming Proble~1

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
twendel316
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nester~1 Rom Naming Proble~1

Post by twendel316 »

First off, I burned the newest NesterDC (5.0 pre4), with the DJ image, and worked great...then I burned a Joliet Rom disc in Easy CD Creator 4, but when I load into NesterDC, it shows the ISO9660 8.3 names -.-, what did I do wrong?

(P.S: Was my account here removed or something, I used to have a few (20 maybe) posts here)
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by biohazard »

I don't think that there's a way to fix that.
Who dares, wins.
twendel316
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by twendel316 »

well...um....who else uses 5.0 pre4 of NesterDC? And I thought it was fixed for long name support -.-
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I don't know about burning it with DJ, but when I made my self-boot using the plain files, it had long name support. Have you tried dir2boot? You download the plain files, put all your roms in the games folder, point dir2boot to the folder that holds your ip.bin and your 1st_read.bin, and it makes either a Nero or DJ image that you can burn. I've also done that and come out with long file names.

Dir2Boot
emperordahc
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Dir2Boot

Post by emperordahc »

Like Vlad Tepes mentioned, Dir2Boot should work fine. I had the same problem w/ filenames (I was using a seperate ROM disc, too). I use Dir2Boot to create a complete Emu + ROM disk and burn it w/ Disc Juggler, and it works perfect, long file names and all.
twendel316
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by twendel316 »

where the heck is the Plain Files ver. of 5 Pre4 or 5 Pre5, the newest ver. i can find Plain is back to Version 4, or can I just use the ones off my CD?
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Go to this site and download this file and then download this file and place the 1st_read.bin file from the Nester 5.0 pre 5 zip file in the same folder as the ip.bin file from the Nester-5.0 pre 4-fix-bin.zip file you downloaded first. Then point dir2boot to that folder...and burn the data.nrg or data.dj(I think that's the name of the file dir2boot creats) using whichever burning program U chose to use. Before you use dir2boot, though, you might want to put your roms in the games folder.

P.S. that 1st_read.bin is for the newest version of Nester...the one that came out just a little while ago.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

I just used DreamCast Factory and it works fine...
Zole
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Joliet

Post by Zole »

twendel316 - Joliet is a STRICTLY Windows-based filename format. It's a secondary volume descriptor, which means that non-Windows machines will get the ISO filenames and Windows machines will get the Joliet names. If you want long filenames on any non-Windows platform you want ISO level 2, which allows 31 characters per name max.
twendel316
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by twendel316 »

Zole ah! thanks for that info :oops:

I used the files off my CD with SuSe Selfboot Image Creator, so I'm all set (and almost done with Zelda 1 first quest within a day :D :lol:)

I'll keep to pre4 until I got many more roms to add (i only have 226 :eek:)
Tw????L??6

mmmmm....tastes like chicken....must be a glitch in the matrix!
twendel316
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by twendel316 »

wait a sec.... the DC 'IS' a windows based machine.....or do u mean a 9x/NT based machine?
Zole
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zole »

DC isn't Windows-based at all. MS produced a version of Windows CE that runs on the Dreamcast, but it's just an option for the developers to use. The DC isn't Windows-based, that particular version of WinCE is Dreamcast-based.