DCPlaya released!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarkStalker »

az_bont wrote:The problem with PSF might be that you actually have to partially emulate the Playstation, just like with SPC (or so I've been told).
Yep, you have to emulate the PSX's SPU, just the same as you have to emulate the SNES's SPC. I think that this is doable speedwise but there might have to be some optimizations for the PSX, maybe some ASM.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

MIDI support!
There is a FREE MIDI synthesizer made by a Japanese programmer available on the internet for PC.
This wavetable synth sounds a class worse than Yamaha S-YXG,but the ELECTRIC GUITAR samples sound WAAAY better than Yamaha XG.And it's free!

Can you implement it in DC Playa?
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Yes,I encode my MP3s at 320kbps,but they never exceed 4 MB.
Just the short demos which I send via internet.
But the longer ones are at only 192kbps.
You see now?
If Ben can free about 3-4 MB of RAM for a Ram disk...
I'll be very,very happy.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

nakamichi wrote:MIDI support!
There is a FREE MIDI synthesizer made by a Japanese programmer available on the internet for PC.
This wavetable synth sounds a class worse than Yamaha S-YXG,but the ELECTRIC GUITAR samples sound WAAAY better than Yamaha XG.And it's free!

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Timidity.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

az_bont wrote:The problem with PSF might be that you actually have to partially emulate the Playstation, just like with SPC (or so I've been told).
For what i know it isn't necessary to emulate anything, since the music format is derived from that of the psx but it's been modded. in the psx doesn't exist the mini-psf or psf format, but each music file was a sort of exe file. the boys that made the psf player and extracted the psf files have just created a format that is indipendent of the psx infos.
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, it's like an NSF or an SPC. You have to emulate the PSX's CPU, RAM and sound system.
sashipa.ben
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by sashipa.ben »

Yes, you got it Timidity. That's the one. The last time I have downloaded it It was with my 56K modem... And I never had time to search and download patchs.
NSF and SPCs plugins are currently working fine. Developers can get them from the CVS tree.
I have improved nosefart lib and created nsf version 2 file format, including playing time. I have made an XMMS plugin for nosefart. I have to send the whole patch to nosefart developers...
Vincent has optimized the SPCs emulator, and now it is running fast enought for dcplaya. With the latest updates we don't have any slowdown in visual Fx, even when changing background.
It's time to make a new release :)
The new mp3 engine has not been compiled for dcplaya... I really need more time in a single day to do everything I want.
ben / dcplaya team
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text

Post by DarkStalker »

Yeah, Timidity's patch files can be quite large.. somewhere in the 20MB range at times.

Glad to hear about the work you've done on the NSF and SPC plugins. I'd download and compile from CVS myself however I've never been able to get any compiled code to execute on a DC. I've been through a lot of the online tutorials for setting up the gcc cross compiler toolchain and I still wasn't able to get the code to run at all. (I don't have a coder's cable.. just trying to boot them off a CD-ROM with Demomenu.) Could be the scrambled/unscrambled thing, but I've tried to press the Y button as everyone says to switch between loading scrambled/unscrabled binaries but get the same result. As a side note, when you hit the Y button, is there any visual feedback that you have switched the binary loading mode? I've never seen any.

I'm really interested in the NSFv2 XMMS plugin. Let me know if I can get my hands on that.

Keep up the good work... and in the meantime, I guess I'll try learning how to use LUA scripting.
sashipa.ben
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by sashipa.ben »

What that (Y) trick ? Is it from standard dreamcast boot ?

I'll do the patch and send it to nosefart as soon I get back to Linux. The current dcplaya CVS tree must be update, but I have not included the XMMS plugin. But there is my tool to compute nsf2 file from nsf1 (nsfinfo), and a documentation on the new file format (README.NSF2)

May be I can help for the toolchain ?
ben / dcplaya team
sashipa.ben
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by sashipa.ben »

I have donlwoaded timidity++-2.11.3.
I am currently downloading timidity-instruments-1.0.7.noarch.rpm.
Does it sound good ?
ben / dcplaya team
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

No. It sounds great :D
Anyway in the next release could be inserted VBR support?
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

sashipa.ben wrote:

I have donlwoaded timidity++-2.11.3.
I am currently downloading timidity-instruments-1.0.7.noarch.rpm.
Does it sound good ?
Bero used a light pack (3 MB rared) of midi patch for his port of hexen, ROTT and others , you can download it here : http://dcreload.free.fr/DL/timidity.rar

The official page that host that mini distrib is down ..

maybe the source code of the port of root-dc1.0 could be interesting if you wants to add midi to dcplaya so it's here : http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sdl- ... 1.0.tar.gz in the 1.0.2 ver the midi patch are compacted in a romdisc file .

And for the Y trick, it's when you are using demomenu or DChacker, if you press Y before select your binary you can launch the unscrambled one .. but there's nothing no visual feedback

there's a way to determine the state of the binary if you are under linux or cygwin without burning on CD or transfert it on dc via the coder cable :
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25109
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text

Post by polochon »

DarkStalker wrote:Yeah, Timidity's patch files can be quite large.. somewhere in the 20MB range at times.

Glad to hear about the work you've done on the NSF and SPC plugins. I'd download and compile from CVS myself however I've never been able to get any compiled code to execute on a DC. I've been through a lot of the online tutorials for setting up the gcc cross compiler toolchain and I still wasn't able to get the code to run at all. (I don't have a coder's cable.. just trying to boot them off a CD-ROM with Demomenu.) Could be the scrambled/unscrambled thing, but I've tried to press the Y button as everyone says to switch between loading scrambled/unscrabled binaries but get the same result. As a side note, when you hit the Y button, is there any visual feedback that you have switched the binary loading mode? I've never seen any.

I'm really interested in the NSFv2 XMMS plugin. Let me know if I can get my hands on that.

Keep up the good work... and in the meantime, I guess I'll try learning how to use LUA scripting.

If you have problem with the toolchain use the precompiled ones (it works fine under cygwin and win98 ) : http://creezvosjeux.online.fr/dreamcast/gcc/
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

DarkStalker wrote:As a side note, when you hit the Y button, is there any visual feedback that you have switched the binary loading mode? I've never seen any.
Nope. There isn't any.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

Thanks for the link to the precompiled binaries. I decided to instead take another shot at compiling them myself. Maybe if I get desparate enough.. heh. (I'm on Linux, btw, not Windows.)
sashipa.ben
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by sashipa.ben »

karsten wrote:No. It sounds great :D
Anyway in the next release could be inserted VBR support?
The mp3 engine has vbr supprt but I did not include it to dcplaya yet. I'll try to make a beta. I have tested it on my Linux Box only. I don't have any mp2 nor mp2 encoder so I can not test these formats ? does anyone knows one ? I did not success to do it with lame.
ben / dcplaya team
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

sashipa.ben wrote:I don't have any mp2 nor mp2 encoder so I can not test these formats ? does anyone knows one ?
I'm a little confused about the first part of your question, but TMPGEnc is a brilliant MP2 encoder - http://www.tmpgenc.net
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
sashipa.ben
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by sashipa.ben »

az_bont wrote:
sashipa.ben wrote:I don't have any mp2 nor mp2 encoder so I can not test these formats ? does anyone knows one ?
I'm a little confused about the first part of your question, but TMPGEnc is a brilliant MP2 encoder - http://www.tmpgenc.net
I mean for Linux. I need a command line encoder, becoz I have to generate files for all possible formats.
ben / dcplaya team
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I think there is a mp2 encoder called mencoder for linux..
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

Freshmeat's first entry for "mp2" in it's search was quite appropriate.
"BenMp3". :)
It's not an encoder though, just a player. Perhaps it may be of some help, but I doubt it. I just found that funny.