has any body ported AIM????

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
infinite-nothing
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

has any body ported AIM????

Post by infinite-nothing »

i was wondering if anyone has or plans to port AIM to the DC that would be really cool. My computer is in the living room but if i could use AIM in my room it would be great for those private conversations
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Hmm, I don't believe I've ever heard that Idea, good one...

The VMU could store your buddy icon (which you could download by means of Jet Grind Radio or whatever). Jump pack rumbles when you are warned :D.
Napoleon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Napoleon »

Here are the reasons I gathered as to why we probably won't see a port from past disscussions:

-The source code was released however AOL took it back when yahoo and microsoft began using it in their messaging systems.

-We don't know how to use the modem so it'd be a BBA only type thing.

-We'd probably have to hack the web browser to do it. (unless we did a linux port)

-The Linux version is X86 code, and the CE version would require CE dev tools.

Now I have heard rumors that you can use the java version of aim on Web Browser 3.0 but i don't know if thats true or not.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

The "linux version" may be x86 code. But there are plenty of libraries that implement aim network.

Firetalk is one.
http://www.penguinhosting.net/~ian/firetalk/

There are also a few comandline linux IM clients out there. Which shouldn't be difficult at all to get working on SH4 linux. Maybe somebody could look at one of these libs (I'm sure there are more than firetalk, but freshmeat.net's search engine really sucks) and possibly port it over to KOS.

-miah
unisprise
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

link to instructions for aim

Post by unisprise »

aim messages can be sent through the planetweb browser....
at least according to the people over at dreamcastfun.com
I have not actually attempted this myself, or the dc-pc server, although I've been meaning to.
http://www.dreamcastfun.com/aimdc.shtml

they give credit to the official dreamcast magazine at the bottom, let me know if this actually works
(I know it probably doesn't look like the cutesy aim interface, some people will just have to deal with : ) instead of
:)
Bling_
YATTA!
YATTA!

Post by Bling_ »

i have tried this and it works fine...make sure u connect to a fast mIRC server though...
It's Thinking,
cKy_Bling
"I like my beers cold, and my homosexuals flamin'!"
http://www.ckymusic.com
DAMN RIGHT I'M A SPAMMER!!
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

yeah thats what i was thinking, planetweb 3 (has java support right?) with the java aim client.

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/express/aim_expr.adp
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

ok, ive done the aim on dc thing from dreamcastfun.com and it DOES work, i use it ALL THE TIME. ive tried the aim express up to planet wed 2.6, and it doesnt work, and i have a feelin it doesnt work on 3.0 but this is the way i sign on:

pwchat://irc.leechbox.net:6667

then,

/msg imserv signon (screenname) (password)

NOTE: put your s/n instead of "(screenname)" and your p/w instead of "(password)"

and that's it! here's a couple of commands:

/join #aimchan-(screenname)

when you go here it will be easier to im your friends (you can just type their s/n instead of /msg aim-(sn). it will also show the people online (like a buddy list) on the left.

/msg imserv help

this will help you with EVERYTHING else, im not going to get into detail, but it works for me, perfectly.
infinite-nothing
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by infinite-nothing »

hey just checked back at this topic
yes i know oyu can do that lil aim trick from dreamcastfun.com
i dont have planetweb3 so i havent tried that yet

i know that you can IM ppl with the dreamcast these ways but i thought it would be cool to burn a program to a disc, pop it in your DC and IM ppl that way plus it was also to inspire someone else to try it thats the whole point of this forum to MAKE your owm apps rember
"your best......your best, losers always whine about there best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen"-Sean Connery"-
mantis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mantis »

another way would be to run linuxdc/netbsd and compile an aim program with sh4 compatability and use it
--mantis