new Tux And Barrels sneak peek

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new Tux And Barrels sneak peek

Post by impetus »

I've posted an animation which roughly shows an intro sequence for the game as it will probably appear on the release. Screamcast, by the way, is the name of my graphics division which is working on T&B and has plans for other homebrew and emulator graphics.

http://www.geocities.com/mr_impetus/screamcast.htm

Comments are welcome.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

OK, I've also updated the site to include some EXCLUSIVE SPRITES. These are actual graphics files which wil be used in gameplay.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

Don't use geosh1tt1es
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Impetus , i would recommend you work some more on your pixelling skills.
Try registering in http://pixelation.swoo.net/ , that should be a good start so you can improbe the graphics.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Krut did you draw your avatar??
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Warmachine wrote:Krut did you draw your avatar??
That?s right.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Impetus , i would recommend you work some more on your pixelling skills.
Try registering in http://pixelation.swoo.net/ , that should be a good start so you can improbe the graphics.
Jeez, getting critiqued by a first-day noob. :roll: In my defense, the graphics are PURPOSELY old-skool (It's modeled after Donkey Kong) as can be seen by the sprites. Bombshell the devver specifically wanted only 32x32 sprites (compared to, for example, our avatars which are 112 by 120). Obviously larger sprites would look sharper but that is not Bombshells' intention. Within these constraints, I think I did pretty well. But thanx for the link. :mrgreen: Though I have no intention to "improbe" the graphics.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Krut you would make a good artist for DC games, contact people that need artists.
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Impetus : I mean no disrespect to you , im sure the same aplies to me .

However you must understand , that even tough i just registered to this board , doesnt mean im a "newbie" in MY field , wich is art , therefore i feel MORE than cualified to critique , or give advice in this matter.
If you are not taking suggestions , thats a completely different subject.

Now , you say , that the graphics are suposed to be "OLD SCHOOL" (im not talking of the size of the sprite as you wrongfully supose ) , but that , infact doesnt make sense, since in a couple of the sprites , you?re using over a hundred colors . As you probably know the "old school" games didnt have such a "wealthy" pallete to use.

Warmachine : Yes , that was my intention when i registered , however i have really no idea of the current proyects people may have.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

If you are not taking suggestions , thats a completely different subject.
:oops: Sorry if you got the wrong impression. I am always open to suggestions. As I said above, comments are welcome. (So thanks! :) )What I meant was, the game is being released TOMORROW and I have no intention of changing anything on it.

Great observation. The palette is 256 colors, but we are trying to keep the oldskool feel. This will be evident not only from the graphics but also the gameplay and music. The download will hopefully be up tomorrow if you'd like to try the game out but I guess that's in Bombshell's hands now. (He's the programmer)

Krut, I know that the ljsdcdev RPG is looking for sprites if you are interested in working on any DC projects. Welcome aboard the DCEmu wagon. (as you can see, I'm relatively new myself).

BTW, you've got a very cool avatar. :mrgreen: We've got an art forum here on this site in which you can post anything you like.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

Yes, life is boring over in Art. Gimme something to moderate. :mrgreen:

Oh, and that avatar is highly kick-ass.
mmm.... n00b blood
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

I still haven't seen the pics!

Impetus, you got PM.
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Impetus : That?s good to hear , a good artist should always be open minded , so he can accept constructive critissism. I still urge you to register on that forum , i noticed from what i have seen , you?re ignoring interesting facts and techniques , im sure you could give good use of them if you just took the time to learn them.

I tell you this right away , there?s no point having hundred of colors in a sprite if you are not using them properly (and i assure you 100+ colors in a 32x32 sprite is ridiculous) , because in the end they will only be an obstacle to the programmer.
Of course , ill try the game once its released.

Yes , i heard something about an RPG , as a matter of fact , i believe he actually posted something in the adress i gave you earlier (Pixelation is probably the biggest comunity of Pixel-artist at the time). However , a RPG is not what i have in mind , because as you can probably guess , making hundred of tiles , and characters isnt going to be easy for a single person , and taking in consideration , the amount of work a RPG needs , im not too sure about it.
However , in the meantime , ill try to give a hand to him and his team(?) .

Thank you for the welcome .

TheGatesofBill : Thank you , ill probably do that.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

yeah, sorry Everstoned. I guess geocities ain't up to the task. I may be moving soon... And I don't have any new messages... maybe you didn't send it?
EDIT: OK, got it. You've got PM
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

i like that game :mrgreen: I would say u make it however u want u wanna spruce the graphcis go ahead and if u dont thats fine too :mrgreen:
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Yes , that was my intention when i registered , however i have really no idea of the current proyects people may have.
Ravenous Games needs artists for their RPG.
Siggler and Cehbab need 3d modelers for DCRPG
crtomight need art for his Bombreman game.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

i like that game I would say u make it however u want u wanna spruce the graphcis go ahead and if u dont thats fine too
I appreciate the compliment. I'm glad you like the game, though if you've played previous versions those were before I jumped on board. Actually, if I remember correctly Warmachine whipped up the original demo sprites. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but Krut brings up some great points. There is a lot you can do texture-wise on sprites while still being "minimalist". While thats not our goal on T&B, it works great on lots of games (for instance, most of the best games in the SNES library). Not to mention on Krut's great gif animations whic are in another thread. :D On future releases, the graphics will probably more or less the same (we're trying to avoid advanced textures), but there WILL be more characters and obstacles added.

:oops: by now, everyone's probably guessed that the game is not on time. Bombshell's e-mail to me said he's having trouble on the DC version (I'm not sure about the others). Something about a looping problem. Hopefully it will be out shortly, though, as it is somewhat Easter themed.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

Yaaaay, I saw the pics, hooray!
Hooray for all!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

impetus wrote:
i like that game I would say u make it however u want u wanna spruce the graphcis go ahead and if u dont thats fine too
I appreciate the compliment. I'm glad you like the game, though if you've played previous versions those were before I jumped on board. Actually, if I remember correctly Warmachine whipped up the original demo sprites. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but Krut brings up some great points. There is a lot you can do texture-wise on sprites while still being "minimalist". While thats not our goal on T&B, it works great on lots of games (for instance, most of the best games in the SNES library). Not to mention on Krut's great gif animations whic are in another thread. :D On future releases, the graphics will probably more or less the same (we're trying to avoid advanced textures), but there WILL be more characters and obstacles added.

:oops: by now, everyone's probably guessed that the game is not on time. Bombshell's e-mail to me said he's having trouble on the DC version (I'm not sure about the others). Something about a looping problem. Hopefully it will be out shortly, though, as it is somewhat Easter themed.
Yes thats right :D
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I talked to Bombshell again - turns out he was sick for a day or two. No promise on a date, but be on the lookout VERY soon.