INI file and boot buddy...

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

INI file and boot buddy...

Post by otakonx »

I need help on burning DoomDC from plain files. I have the PC wads and prgrams to burn the disc. I've never made any game self booting so I'm rusty on that. What I'm confused on is the INI file and the "Boot buddy" Program. Neither INI maker or bootbuddy have the best of tutorials.... If anyone knows what I need to call the directories and files, etc... it be great if you could help me out! thanks

otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Very easy, just create a directory doomdc, put the original files in it (ip.bin and 1st_read.bin) + all your .wad files. Download the ini file voor SBB at http://www.dcvision.com/burnero/sbb.htm and follow the steps SBB gives you.
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

thanks Captain Skyhawk

Post by otakonx »

Hey thanks Captain Skyhawk. Finally someone replies to me. do you know the ini file for Nester DC version 5? I dont even know how to bur it! I have all plain files and I'm knew at the self boot stuff. thanks again

otakonx
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

cd record not compatible..

Post by otakonx »

unfortunitly cdrecord.exe doesnt work with my burner. The directions say to use "bin2boot" at the first screen of boot buddy. I keep getting crazy errors like file not found... is there another way I can do this?! what if I made an iso of all the files (wads, ip.bin, 1st_read.bin) and used the audio.raw for the first session and the iso for the second session... would that work? please help, thanks.

otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

No need to make a seperate topic on it ;). You are not the only one where cdrecord.exe crashes. It happens to me too. The easiest way is is to make a normal burn with SBB (that means not the bin2boot option!). Make the steps 1 till 7. With step 8 it's gonna hang. But at that time you have an ISO in the SBB directory (called data.iso). That last session you can burn with CDRWIN (http://www.goldenhawk.com), on the following way:
From the SBB readme.txt file: wrote: 1] Click the fourth button with the screwdriver.

2] Change the top "Backup/Tool Operation" to:
Record an ISO9660 Image File

3] Click ... next to Image Filename and locate your data.iso.

4] Set Recording Options:

Disc Type: CDROM-XA
Track Mode: MODE2
Speed: 1X
Finalize/Close Session: Checked
Write Postgap: Checked
Open New Session: Unchecked
Verify Recorded Image: Unchecked
Test Mode: Unchecked
Enable BURN-Proof: Unchecked

5] Click START in the top right corner.

6] Try the disc in your Dreamcast when finished burning.
I think this should work. Let me know.
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

problems galore!

Post by otakonx »

The program actually wont burn the first session. It closes the window out. so I made it up to step 4 actually it closes the window on step four. I tried to skip it but the "msinfo" gives me the DOS error

" Bad command or file name
Press any key to continue . . . "

I dont know what else to do...

otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Now really solved it!

otakonx wrote: The program actually wont burn the first session. It closes the window out. so I made it up to step 4 actually it closes the window on step four. I tried to skip it but the "msinfo" gives me the DOS error

" Bad command or file name
Press any key to continue . . . "

I dont know what else to do...
Ah! Now I know what's really wrong. You put the files in the wrong folder. Sometimes SBB can't find the files. The fool-proof instructions:

Code: Select all

- Extract the SBB files to [b]sbbpro10[/b] in the root!
- I assume you've also downloaded the tools folder (with the cdrecord.exe program in it) and put it in the folder: [b]sbbpro10/tools[/b].
- Now very important that I think the mistake comes from, put the doomdc.ini file in the sbbpro10 folder!
- Create a new folder in the sbbpro10 folder called doomdc. So it is gonna be [b]sbbpro10/doomdc[/b].
- Put the files of doomdc in that folder (the ip.bin and 1st_read.bin will do fine)
- Put all of your WAD's in that folder too
- Start the program and burn it finally
Good luck!
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

not compatible with cdrecord!

Post by otakonx »

well the program is acting different since I put the ini file in the right place but it still doesn't burn the first session like it should... The instructions on the link you gave me said my burner is not compatible with cdrecord and that I need to use bin2boot. is there any way around all this? I dunno, maybe burning the files using cdrwin or nero ? I really appreciate all the help you're giving me by the way..

Otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Hmm... what error do you get when burning the first session? Does the screen just flash and bring you back to SBB?

If this all doesn't work there is 1 easy way. Just download DiscJuggler (http://www.padus.com) and the DiscJuggler image at the main site ( http://www.dcemulation.org/soft-doomdc.htm ). Then burn your wad files on a seperate cd in Nero (use mode 1). It is very easy, but it is nicer when you have just 1 cd wich selboots and don't have to use discswapping.
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

window closes

Post by otakonx »

the window closes rapidly when I try to burn the first session. I'm not getting an error message but the program just isnt doing anything. sux.

otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Just follow the green instructions I gave you. It really sounds that the tools folder is missing and/or you have put the files in the wrong folder. And what about the last suggestion I gave you?
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

hey it worked finally!

Post by otakonx »

I finally got it to burn! My problem was the program wasn't in the ROOT directory! Such a dumb mistake.... anyway thank you soooo much for hangin in there with me Captain Skyhawk. oh yeah, I wonder if nester 5 will burn the same way... hmmm... thanks again

Otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I'm glad you made it! I was running out of options too. And how do you like it? NesterDC 5 works the same way, dowload the ini and make a seperate folder called roms in your nesterdc folder (nesterdc/roms).
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

nesterdc

Post by otakonx »

worked like a charm thanks once again skyhawk... oh on thing about doomdc, do you know if the quality of the graphics is the same as the PC because it looks to be less quality to me. and is there a way to change the resolution of the screen like on the pc?

otakonx
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

There isn't a way to change the resolution on the dc, because the TV's resolution is stuck at 640x480. I wish there was a way though