Saw Lord of the Rings today ......

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
.:ajay:.
Old Git
Old Git
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Saw Lord of the Rings today ......

Post by .:ajay:. »

I took 2 of my children with me, I explained that I'd first read the books when I was 9, nearly 28 years ago. I'd been waiting for a decent film ever since.
Now I'm no Tolkien-fan-obsessive but the books were without doubt the best books I read as a child, so without entering into AICN talkbacker territory, you could say I was extremely concerned that Peter Jackson had done it justice.

So I came out after 3 hours of my expectations being met a very happy man. The acting was perfect, the cgi and other effects noticable but perfect and every shot was a work of art.

Another year for part2, damn, another year after that for 3... damn!!!

Oh and my kids, well my daughter loved it, but tyhen she read the books, my son hadn't so remains a Harry Potter fan for now....

Anyone else's thoughts on it.... ??
Angel-Sephiroth
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

the books are great

Post by Angel-Sephiroth »

the books are great.
the silmarion----its a bible
the hobbit--------much fun
the triologie------ to good to be true.
ps: the movie should be longer
aka Rhianor;
aka xxx666xxx;
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

all 3 movies were shot at the same time...so the other two (The Two Towers, Return of the King) are just being seperated to build up hype :)
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

I never have read the books, I'm admittedly not much of a book person, But I loved the movie so much that I'm willing to give them a try.

however, I'll probably wait till after I've seen each movie, So it doesn't ruin the surprise for me.

How many books where there actually? I know there was a prequel which was never made into a movie (The Hobbit) and then there was the 3 Lord of the rings novels. But was there any others? Angel Sepiroth mentioned "The Silmarion" is that another one?

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

the Silmarion was written by christopher tolkien(jrr's son)and is boring imo.

Lotr was supposed to be 7 smaller books and you can actually get it in 7 book format

the fellowship of the ring - 3 parts
the two towers - 2 parts
return of the king - 2 parts

but most people only know of the 3 books or the single combined version.

btw,the entire film has been filmed yes but that does NOT mean they are all finished.they still have to add all the special effects etc.seeing as they will have a whole year and a butt load of money part 2 should look great :)
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

also,whilst the movie was fantastic i still have to bitch about a few things

in the book Gandalf doesnt tell Saruman where the ring is or who has it because unlike the film Saruman makes his trechory known to Gandalf from the beggining.also Grimer Worm Tounge is nowhere to be seen.this is gonna make it difficult to introduce him in the next movie when they reach Gondor.

in the film Aragorn Frodo and the rest meet Legolas in Rivendell.this is not so.in the book they met Legolas in the woods just after Frodo was Stabbed by one of the wringwraiths,and he was with them all the way to Rivendell.infact Aragorn is pleased to see him and knows him well(they
exchange words in elvish when they meet)but the film makes you think they just met each other in Rivendell for the first time and that they have no past?.

in Rivendell the part when Bilbo asks Frodo for the ring is totally different.in the book he asks Frodo for it BEFORE he gives him the mithril shirt or sting.Frodo also almost ends up hitting Bilbo to bring him back to his senses.Nothing like the film.

in the film Gandalf doesnt mention why he never turned up at the bar saying"oh,nothing".in the book he does,infact he makes it very clear to frodo what happened at isengard.

in the film isildur's sword is in rivendell.again this is not so.at the councell of Elrond
Boromir says that a dream told him to seek a broken sword.Aragorn then shows him the sword which he has apparently been carrying all this time.

when the company decide to go to moria is completely different from the book.in the book Gandalf actually suggests going through moria(in the film he seems scared?).Legolas says he wont go,Gimli says he will saying his cousin Balin lead a company of Dwarve's there and they have not been seen since(yet in the film gimli think Balin is still alive?).the rest of the party are split over the decision and then its up to frodo who says he doesnt want to go but will go if Gandalf thinks its best.

outside the gates of moria in the film its frodo who figures out the riddle.again this is not so.Gandalf tries for hours to get the doors open using every spell in every language he knows.after a while he laughs seeing how foolish he was and then says "Friend"(in elvish) to open the doors.Frodo had nothing to do with it.also what happened to bill?(sams donkey).

in the film inside Moria Gimli is suprised at what he sees and breaks down when he finds Balins Grave.again this is not so.in the book Gimli knows Balin is missing but not dead and does not find out till Gandalf tells him after reading the account the Dwarve's leave behind.i dont even
remember Balin having a grave in the book?.

in the book in Lothlorien BOTH Sam and Frodo look into the mirror.also in the film Galadreil has a ring on her finger but never mentions that is is one of the 3 rings for elves?.she does in
the book.whats more Gimli doesnt trust her but in the end he kinda falls for her.she even gives him a lock of her hair sealed in glass.Boromir however doesnt trust her before they arrive and when they leave.

still the best movie of the year though.
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

-Johnick- wrote: also,whilst the movie was fantastic i still have to bitch about a few things
Note, understatement of the year already!
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

if final fantasy the movie was like it i would have been a Final Fantasy fan still!
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

I read the hobbit, had to read it over again cause i got super-confused.

/me just got finished reading the Halo book. THE MASTER CHIEFS NAME IS JOHN! AHHHHHH!

I might go see LOTR, but im still down from the Final Fantasy thing, god that sucked, i wont even order it on PPV for 3.95. Terrible, They shoulda modled that movie on 7, it would have been a great movie! Why must people try to make movies out of video games when they dont know what they're doing!!!!
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Tails Prower wrote: I might go see LOTR, but im still down from the Final Fantasy thing, god that sucked, i wont even order it on PPV for 3.95. Terrible, They shoulda modled that movie on 7, it would have been a great movie! Why must people try to make movies out of video games when they dont know what they're doing!!!!
Heh, its only because Square dont like to think of themselves as 'just' a videogames company... I think that film was proof, you dont let artists and animators write stories... you get in a scriptwriter.