HTML Phobia

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

HTML Phobia

Post by cube_b3 »

Back in the Dream-Alive days, following Negora's footsteps I joined a summer camp and learned DreamWeaver. I actually found it easier than Graphic Design aka Photoshop and Freehand. That was over a decade ago.

After a few years I moved to pmWiki and didn't have to do shit in Html.
Then came wordpress which completely irradiated the need for any and all code.

August 2014, I had decided I want to pursue a career in Digital Media. I enrolled in a community college and rebooted my life. I took Web 1, enjoyed it for 4 weeks and then started fumbling. I didn't like Web which consisted of Html and CSS. So I decided to not take Web 2 the next semester. I took Web 2 in September 2015, by then the interval had been really long and I had forgotten everything. I was able to clear the class with a C grade. I focused on other courses like Graphic Design, Writing, Marketing completely ignoring anything related to code.

Fast Forward September 2016. I am in my final semester. I am taking Web 3 which is basically creating a wordpress theme from scratch and 2 weeks in I am completely lost. Additionally, in the job market Digital Media professional have to be proficient with code. My professor recommends revisiting W3 Schools to refresh my memory but I have developed a fear of code and W3 is boring as hell.

The other alternative is YouTube but it is hard to follow videos, there's a whole mix and match element. Find one thing from some dude, find another somewhere else. I need something structured. So I am leaning towards Lynda, my college has a subscription.

I am looking for a course that teaches Web, like we have special professors who teach Math to kids who have developed a phobia towards Math.

A little more relevant to DC Emu/DCS.

You guys know I always focused on being a writer. I always bugged BlueCrab or Darc to help me with the Wiki articles. At DCS, we have a kickass web developer who is always fixing when I screw shit up... So I am in a real fix.... what do you recommend....
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: HTML Phobia

Post by mankrip »

Coding is always boring if you aren't excited about the intended result. When I was in college, the intended results for me were to write the most clean, clear, robust and bug-free code possible, exploring the possibilities of the language to the maximum. But this was in Java; SQL and UML were boring as hell to me, most likely because I never had any plans to develop anything using them.

But even when we're passionate about what we're working on, there's coding anxiety. It happens when we have some very strongly defined goals for the code while also having external restraints (such as time or money). The restraints makes us anxious about being unable to reach our personal goals for the code. I enjoy coding a lot more when there isn't a deadline involved.

The solutions for such problems are usually very personal. It's about learning to overcome/deal with our own weaknesses.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
bogglez
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bogglez »

I learned html, css, js, php, sql when I was 11, because I wanted to make a website about phantasy star online. So while reading documentation I would ask myself "How can I use this for that goal? Oh I see, sql allows me to make forum and photo galleries with comments!".
So I suggest you read w3 with that attitude.
Nothing about html is complicated. You just sit down an hour everyday and take it step-by-step.
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

mankrip wrote: The solutions for such problems are usually very personal. It's about learning to overcome/deal with our own weaknesses.
Anxiety. That is the right word.

And yes it is personal. For me deadlines don't really scare me, I work better under dead lines. I am just indifferent to code. I don't care for it. I take stress after I write a line and it doesn't work... I hate trouble shotting.

I just like talking. More specifically communication or Public Relations. Writing and Coding are just mediums that I to utilize in order to get my message across.

I have started watching James Williamson's Web Design Fundamental's course on Lynda. It is more theoretical than practical and I am thinking just understanding the concepts will help me gain some confidence moving forward.

Right now at 29, I can't keep doing entry level shitty jobs. I need financial stability. I have a degree in Psychology and now another one in Digital Media. I also want to stop studying... My adviser has recommended I pursue a career in UI/UX. Personally I want to do something in PR but I can't see any decent jobs where I make a 100k annually...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I've found Codecademy useful for reviewing basic odds-ends and attributes of HTML and CSS when I haven't worked with them in awhile.

If you are really dedicated to getting good... Hammer down the basics by rote, if you must. All you must do to permanently remember is drive yourself mad enough to never forget.

In other words, traumatize yourself with facts and knowledge. Have the basics scar you for life, and they will never leave you.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, just like Photoshop and Illustrator or any other software code needs to be practiced constantly.