Setting up for DcDev, needs advice.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Kenshin_Himura2003
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setting up for DcDev, needs advice.

Post by Kenshin_Himura2003 »

Okay after doing some research, I've came up with 1st building an engine using SDL2.1(or latest) Using Codeblocks or Visual Studio. I figured if I made my game run on windows, I could later port it to the DC. The problem is that I don't know how to do ports have it run on the DC. Are there any tutorials on how I learn to do these things? I've tried google "How to port games" and all it gave are definitions on what it are. It's not what I was looking for.

I also went to lazyfoo.com and got the graphics going, I was just wondering if there are tutorials for linking KOS libraries to VS2012 or Codeblocks would be the same.

Sorry for being a complete noob.

Regards, Kenshin
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Setting up for DcDev, needs advice.

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, as far as I know, nobody has ported SDL 2.x to the Dreamcast. Considering how poorly SDL 1.2.x worked on the Dreamcast, I wouldn't hold out that much hope for it either. If you want something you can start out with, look for a tutorial using an older version of SDL (one in the 1.2.x line), and you could probably port it over to the Dreamcast with little difficulty (unless it uses all kinds of extra libraries, of course). I wouldn't recommend using SDL for any long-term Dreamcast-specific development however, as it is much slower than using KOS directly.

No matter what you choose to do, there will always be at least some porting effort required. For some SDL things, it'll be as easy as changing file paths and building a new Makefile to compile it for the Dreamcast (after you have a working Dreamcast toolchain set up, of course), but it isn't always that way.

As for using an integrated development environment (IDE), someone did get things working with Code::Blocks at some point in the past, although I have no experience with that.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: Setting up for DcDev, needs advice.

Post by RyoDC »

As for using an integrated development environment (IDE), someone did get things working with Code::Blocks at some point in the past, although I have no experience with that.
For example I did. And it's working.
Even more: I settled up a post build script, which converts binary and game resources into one image and runs it in emulator window.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain: