[Help]Server Project Socket Programming

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

[Help]Server Project Socket Programming

Post by Neoblast »

Hello fellas, I know it's been a while and this project has been on "pause" for a long time. Considering I may have some more free time now I decided it's time get on it personally. We've had some people helping but for some reasons the project always ended up not moving forward.

So if someone with some free time and socket programming skills would like to help us make this I'd be very glad. I do know some sockets myself but not enough to make a decent server base for the server, and from then it could be easily expanded.

All research on the game protocol has been done so the only thing left is to actually code the server.

The game is Planet Ring and this would be the only way to have a voip call between dreamcasts now that dreamcall and ch@b are long gone ( and without packet logs... ). It is an online game featuring 4 minigames, 2 of them featuring voice chat plus a messenger system. There are also rankings, and some sort of website like option for the information boards in the game.

Anyone up for joining the project?
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: [Help]Server Project Socket Programming

Post by Neoblast »

Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

I saw this the other day. Quite impressed to see some server work being done. I never got the chance to play this back in the day, would love to try it out one day. Although this game was 56K only correct? I'd have to get one of those dial-in router setups going if thats the case. Keep us posted on the project.

Im pretty ignorant in programming, but how did this game come about having some homebrew network features setup? It thought without any sort of packet logs, recreating these game servers was damn near impossible?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Indiket »

Planet Ring was an only European release, so it works with the 33k modems, too.
Well, PR is not a homebrew game, so it does not use any of the KOS features. The oficial SDK library got support for TCP/UDP stack, and a PPP interface.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, PR is not a homebrew game, so it does not use any of the KOS features. The oficial SDK library got support for TCP/UDP stack, and a PPP interface.
He was asking how did the server's development come about without any sort of packet logs.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

BlueCrab wrote:
He was asking how did the server's development come about without any sort of packet logs.
that is correct.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Indiket »

Oh I see :) . Well, fortunately PR uses a very simple game protocol, and also it is not encrypted, so with a bit of reverse-enginnering we could guess lots of functionalities.