Inception [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Inception [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

Post by pixel »

I just got back from the theater and I've got to say, it was pretty damn good. By the third dream, I was getting pretty anxious for the ending. My greatest fear, though, was it turning all M. Night Shyamalan on the audience. Fortunately, the ending wasn't a huge "HAHA FU" twist. While the ending is open to interpretation, I feel as though it still gave a proper conclusion. Was the whole thing a dream to settle one man's subconscious?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Inception [SPOILERS POSSIBLE]

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Shyamalan? Haven't you seen Memento?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Shyamalan? Haven't you seen Memento?
2004. With my girlfriend, I think.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Same director... How could you assume anything associated to Shymalan.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Same director... How could you assume anything associated to Shymalan.
Right, I know that. I used Shymalan as a example of bad twists in movies. I didn't mean any offense to your boyfriend Chris. :lol:
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Inception was really great - I didn't understand everything but I still feel like it all worked - there didn't seem to be any rubbish cheating in the logic (unlike, say, The Sixth Sense).

I did get a certain feeling that through no fault of its own, Inception was way too similar to Shutter Island. Leo really shouldn't have starred in both movies, or at least not in such quick succession.

You guys are about to go apeshit on me - I've owned Memento on Blu-Ray for like 2 or 3 years and not watched it yet (I have a pretty big watch queue)
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

impetus wrote:I've owned Memento on Blu-Ray for like 2 or 3 years and not watched it yet (I have a pretty big watch queue)
I was pretty disappointed with Inception, but I would move Memento to the front of your queue.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'll try to write this as spoiler-free as possible:

I felt that Inception was well done overall, but that it was lazy in a couple of ways. First, it hinted right from the beginning about the possibility of deeper layers, but then never really did anything with those hints. They didn't develop into a subplot; they never really even touched on the idea except to drop those few hints and then leave them hanging. And as a result, the ending felt like a little bit of a cop-out; by leaving it ambiguous, and have that whole aspect be based on just a few scattered hints, it gives the impression of having greater depth than it really does, without actually having to do any work. It's a bit of a cheat in terms of the writing.

Also, once the premise was established, it became pretty much a straight-up heist film. Don't get me wrong; it was very well done, and the premise was quite clever. But I guess I was just expecting it to be a little more psychological, and to sort of play with and subvert the genre conventions and the audience expectations a bit more. And perhaps since it stuck so closely to the heist model, it spent a little more time on action sequences and significantly less time on developing the characters than I would have liked.

That's not to say I didn't like the film. I did, and I felt it was very well done, for what it was. I like Chris Nolan, and he's probably one of the best writer-directors we have right now. Memento was quite clever, and I don't think there's anything that possibly could have been improved about The Dark Knight. Inception... I guess the best way to put it is that it was a good movie, when it could have been a great one.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I don't think there's anything that possibly could have been improved about The Dark Knight.
Christian freakin' Bale, that's what.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Finally released in China and I watched it today. I wasn't disappointed - it was a great movie, certainly a treat to be told a story I haven't been told before - and without any retarded twists.

Having said that though, I'm completely confused as to how Leo managed to stay behind to look for Saito. Why was Fisher's and Saito's limbo the world that he and his wife built? Is it a shared space for all human beings? And why did the kicks not wake him up anyway?

Also, it's interesting to see people heaping such high praise on Memento. I hated that movie.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

BoneyCork wrote:Also, it's interesting to see people heaping such high praise on Memento. I hated that movie.
I finally watched it, partly in response to this thread. It was good - interesting, certainly - but not the kind of good that I need to rewatch.