Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

What have you tried so far, and what have you liked?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:Overall I'd say the level design is better in SMG2. While there was a certain appeal to having larger galaxier to explore - the whole point of a Mario game is to take-on a somewhat-linear platforming challenge, and SMG2 presents the purest 3D version of this. I also like the removal of a huge hub-world, if only because the one in SMG served no purpose - there was nothing to explore like in 64 and Sunshine.

I still prefer the original though. It's impossible not to. Being blown away by something always feels better than getting more of the same. I enjoyed SMG more at the time, and I will enjoy coming back to it more in the future.

Still, it's fucking awesome having 2 3D Mario platformers on one system. So so so much replay value.
I "purchased" SMG2 and decided I'd finally tackle Luigi's half of SMG1, so I'm doing that first. I'm getting anxious though after reading all the positive reviews, I don't think anyone has been let down so far.

I think I do actually prefer the hub though... it served as sort of a break from the action. It gets irritating having to run/warp all the way to the top of the hub towards the end of the game, but overall I didn't mind it too much. The hub gave the game more personality.

I could probably Google this, but does SMG2 make you finish the game a second time with Luigi like the first one? I don't mind playing through the game again to fully 100% it, but Luigi is fucking terrible to control, though I think that's the point.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DaMadFiddler wrote:What have you tried so far, and what have you liked?
Assuming that was directed at me... I haven't really tried anything so far, sadly, other than playing a couple of minutes of Final Fantasy on the iPod Touch.

I'm hoping to have some time this weekend/next week to try some stuff though. I'm still a classic JRPG player pretty much, but I dunno if there's much in the way of real JRPGs on the iTunes Store.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I could probably Google this, but does SMG2 make you finish the game a second time with Luigi like the first one? I don't mind playing through the game again to fully 100% it, but Luigi is fucking terrible to control, though I think that's the point.
[SPOILERS]
Luigi is an optional playable character in the normal game this time. Your hardcore post-120 stars challenge this time is another 120 green stars hidden across the stages. I've heard it's kinda dull collecting them all, but when the alternative is just doing the game again with a different character it probably doesn't matter.[/SPOILERS]
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

ModNation Racers

I think the biggest problem with this game is that I'm having tons of fun making tracks that I know I'll never actually race on. I sunk 4 hours into making this amazing and gorgeously detailed mountainside track, but once I finally got it to perfection, I raced on it once and then immediately moved on to making a new track.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:ModNation Racers

I think the biggest problem with this game is that I'm having tons of fun making tracks that I know I'll never actually race on. I sunk 4 hours into making this amazing and gorgeously detailed mountainside track, but once I finally got it to perfection, I raced on it once and then immediately moved on to making a new track.
So you're already done with SMG2?
You're a machine melancholy.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:

It's really not that long. I got it Monday and finished it Friday, and that was me trying to space it out (didn't play at all Wednesday or Thursday).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:

It's really not that long. I got it Monday and finished it Friday, and that was me trying to space it out (didn't play at all Wednesday or Thursday).
So...3 days? lol that's like 5 hours of playtime for me at an absolute maximum. In between work, marriage, socializing and pursuing other interests I just don't find the time. :( Then again, I've never been the sort of person who can continue doing anything for a long period of time. I don't think even my most favourite videogames and TV shows have ever compelled me to give up more than 3 hours of time in one go. Different people I guess.

Also, "finished SMG2" = 242 stars
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:

So...3 days? lol that's like 5 hours of playtime for me at an absolute maximum. In between work, marriage, socializing and pursuing other interests I just don't find the time. :( Then again, I've never been the sort of person who can continue doing anything for a long period of time. I don't think even my most favourite videogames and TV shows have ever compelled me to give up more than 3 hours of time in one go. Different people I guess.

I'd say that I was playing 2-5 hours each day. Also, by "finished" I mean "beat the game and did enough of the side quests to get through the bonus world."
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:

I'd say that I was playing 2-5 hours each day. Also, by "finished" I mean "beat the game and did enough of the side quests to get through the bonus world."
Pffft. No perfect run star :P

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:

I got the game Sunday and had 120 stars by Wednesday night. Then I tried 3 green stars and was done. I'm thinking about picking it back up again this weekend, but after dropping 20 hours into the game in 4 days, I needed a break.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

This is why I never beat games. A basic platformer has become a month project for me. :evil:

By the way, did anyone else find the final Bowser level extremely underwhelming? The one in SMG was this mindblowing everything-coming-at-you level that felt like the final galaxy. The SMG2 one could've turned up mid-game and it wouldn't have felt out of place. Pretty dull.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:This is why I never beat games. A basic platformer has become a month project for me. :evil:

By the way, did anyone else find the final Bowser level extremely underwhelming? The one in SMG was this mindblowing everything-coming-at-you level that felt like the final galaxy. The SMG2 one could've turned up mid-game and it wouldn't have felt out of place. Pretty dull.
Psh, it took me nearly two years to finish all 242 stars in SMG1 (though it only took me about a month to finish Mario's 120 initial stars).

I like SMG2 so far, but it feels like the exact same game to me. If Nintendo believed in DLC, this easily could have been an expansion to SMG1. It's just lacking some of the charm from SMG1, I'm not sure what it is. Some of the hungry Luma puzzle universes are pretty damn creative though.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:By the way, did anyone else find the final Bowser level extremely underwhelming? The one in SMG was this mindblowing everything-coming-at-you level that felt like the final galaxy. The SMG2 one could've turned up mid-game and it wouldn't have felt out of place. Pretty dull.
I found the entire ending altogether extremely underwhelming.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I played the first level and realised it was identical to a level from SMG1 and swiftly decided I really couldn't be bothered to do it again. Plus the wii remote jewels thing is still stupid.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:By the way, did anyone else find the final Bowser level extremely underwhelming? The one in SMG was this mindblowing everything-coming-at-you level that felt like the final galaxy. The SMG2 one could've turned up mid-game and it wouldn't have felt out of place. Pretty dull.
Ditto. SMG2 was originally planned as an expansion pak rather than a standalone game, and it shows.

That said, it's still better than 95% of the other platformers out there.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Ditto. SMG2 was originally planned as an expansion pak rather than a standalone game, and it shows.

That said, it's still better than 95% of the other platformers out there.
But for me, SMG1 is quite obviously in that other 5%. I don't know why the critics can't see that.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

So yeah, I decided to get a couple more green stars and now I'm hooked all over again. I'm already up to 50 green stars in one day.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Resonance of Fate. I have yet to start it though.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Bought a Wii.