Wii hacking..

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wii hacking..

Post by vicviper74 »

So getting a wii for my kids wanted to know if anyone knows a good site. where i can ask questions. find out the good and bad of doing it... lifehcker has a walkthru and it seems kinda simple. http://lifehacker.com/5342733/hack-your ... t-princess
But still allot of what ifs out there.
like I want the dvd player option. and media player.

Do's AND Dont.. like no more online playing due to modding.
possible bricking??
neato apps?
will I get more friends due to modding my wii?
Will it finally answer the big question..."why am I here?"
Thank guys.. for the help in advanced.
Vic
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Wii hacking..

Post by Luriden »

An unmodded Wii is the most useless thing ever, considering it's so easy to do and the prices for Wii games vs the quality of the content on the disc is sheer robbery.

GBAtemp is a good place to go. There's people here who are strictly against that site but I don't see much of a problem with it besides people asking too many questions at once.

There is a DVD player, but it's not very good. In fact, it's absolutely terrible. There's no menus, you have to load the vob files on the disc and often freezes the console. Do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap $20 DVD player at Walmart if you want to play DVDs.

Online play is fine. I do it all the time. It's not Xbox Live. Nintendo's "piracy control" involves releasing firmware updates which blocks out your homebrew and backup launching ability... which is usually countered by a group of hackers with a workaround released the next day. Do yourself a favor though. NEVER update your Wii with Nintendo's firmware. Always wait for "clean" updates to be released online that has all the anti-modding shit taken out. Even if you update to Nintendo's latest, there will be a workaround to mod it again, but it's a pain in the ass.

It is possible to brick it, mainly if you install something you shouldn't. Just make sure you trust the source where you download something if you're going to install it.

Neato apps... besides emulators? I can't say there's anything useful to even try out. However, USB Loader is a MUST. Don't buy any games for the system whatsoever. Instead, invest in a 500gb external hard drive and download games to it. I have ~200 Wii games on my 500gb external drive. Not only is it more convenient being able to access all my games from it, it actually fixes a lot of loading problems some retail discs have.

Friends? Depends. If you have non-gamer friends, you'll be the most popular person ever. Anyone who has owned any game system since the NES will laugh at you for modding a board game system.

And you're here because you want to entertain your kids. Hopefully. Gamers over the age of 13 might enjoy some of the Nintendo launch titles, but other than that, the system is for kids and the easily amused.
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by vicviper74 »

Gotta love that reply.. any more comments??
I like getting more input..
btw if you really want to help me..
Im on chat aol and yahoo and gmail
vicviper74
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

I'll get me opinion out of the way and say that homebrew on the Wii is a joke.

Okay, that said you can unlock the whole deal through softmods. Be careful and read all literature thoroughly else you'll be making yourself a brick like you mentioned. As far as homebrew goes, there's an incomplete DVD app, loads of N64 and lower emulators, and that's about it. One thing I will mention is that I've owned my Wii for about two years and get Disc Read Errors on a regular basis. Well, when I actually use the thing. Google searches reveal I'm not alone so I guess you could take Luriden's advice and find a way to back your stuff up onto media other than discs.

If you didn't have kids the whole point of this post would've been to convince you to take it back if you've already bought the Wii. One small plus is there's a couple of interesting WiiWare games and of course the usual first party Nintendo success series.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Buy games that are worth buying. Don't play the ones that aren't. Its as simple as that. The companies will just continue to shovel out crap if they don't get support for the decent games. Effectively, the easy piracy is what's dooming the Wii to only have shovelware brought to it in the future in my eyes.

Also, gbatemp is full of crybaby pirates (and utter fail). In fact, I'm relatively sure that the general populace of gbatemp has absolutely no respect for the people who made all the Wii homebrew "hacks" to start with. They just blindly worship those that help them pirate and piss off Nintendo and the 3rd party developers even more.

If you want to use the Wii for legal purposes, wiibrew is the place to go. If not, then I don't want to hear about it.

And with that...
TOPIC LOCKED