Final Fantasy 13 on XBox 360

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Final Fantasy 13 on XBox 360

Post by Thomas »

I'm glad I held out on buying a ps3 since I have a 360 already.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Nice. As of now, MGS4 is the PS3's only saving grace.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

WHAT THE FUCK IGN!?!?! Their damn stream cuts out at exactly 12:00pm. The huge FFXIII bombshell with a brand new trailer? Announced at 12:01!

EDIT: there's Youtube videos of it up, but it looks like they pulled back so far that you can't even see the trailer anyway. I wanna see that trailer, damnit!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

So… where's MGS4?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

lulz@Sony
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Can't say I'm too surprised to be honest.

Still, living in China, circumstances are different for me. The only 360s I can find are old stock (i.e. possible "red ring of death" candidates), and they come with no warranty whatsoever. PS3 was just a safer bet for me in the end.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Hasney wrote:Yeah, I was watching IGNs feed at that point and the camera was zoomed stupidly far away.
At my end, the feed just flat out stopped at 12:00:00, as if they expected the conference to be done before then. They just simply cut out to the Live Wire logo at the exact second it hit noon.

Not that it would have made a difference, the trailer was terrible so far zoomed out.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:Can't say I'm too surprised to be honest.
I am. This is pretty much unprecedented for FF, unless you count FF11 (there was an MSX port of FF1, and PC ports of 7 and 8, but those were handled by third parties and were far from being simultaneous releases). However, it makes a lot of sense; Square clearly wants to milk "FF13" like "FF7", and even if they didn't make FF13 cross-platform it makes sense for the engine to be so that they can use it for the next MMO, to develop spinoffs, and/or when they migrate to the next generation.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Now that Squareenix is showing interest in the 360, they should release older FF titles on XBLA. The PSX ones would be tricky though unless they super-compressed the FMVs to not go over the size limit.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Luriden wrote:Now that Squareenix is showing interest in the 360, they should release older FF titles on XBLA. The PSX ones would be tricky though unless they super-compressed the FMVs to not go over the size limit.
I think it's quite doable with a little effort. That limit seems to be somewhat flexible (MS already raised it from 50MB to 150MB, and is rumored to have waived even that for Bionic Commando Rearmed; I bet FF would have no trouble getting the same), and modern codecs (both video and audio) run circles around what was supported on PS1.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It seems they also announced there will no longer be a worldwide simultaneous release as was earlier hinted at. Considering Japan is still ETA and Square's usual gaps between continent releases, it's kinda disappointing news. Getting pretty hard to keep caring about a game that is nowhere near release.
Ex-Cyber wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:Can't say I'm too surprised to be honest.
I am. This is pretty much unprecedented for FF, unless you count FF11 (there was an MSX port of FF1, and PC ports of 7 and 8, but those were handled by third parties and were far from being simultaneous releases). However, it makes a lot of sense; Square clearly wants to milk "FF13" like "FF7", and even if they didn't make FF13 cross-platform it makes sense for the engine to be so that they can use it for the next MMO, to develop spinoffs, and/or when they migrate to the next generation.
I don't think it's about milking the franchise. I just think the video-gaming market has changed and it no longer makes sense to go exclusive with big-budget games unless you have been paid to do so.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

BoneyCork wrote:I don't think it's about milking the franchise. I just think the video-gaming market has changed and it no longer makes sense to go exclusive with big-budget games unless you have been paid to do so.
That sounds about right. It's not like last generation where one platform had 80% or more market share - this time, it's more like 45/40/15 if you don't include PCs. I don't see how anyone could justify making any big-budget game exclusive to one console anymore. Certainly not as a PS3 exclusive anyway.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Hooray, another reason why I've bought my 360!
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Hasney wrote:I'm actually more looking forward to Star Ocean on the 360. Is that one coming out on the PS3 as well, or just 360?
I normally don't like citing ign, but

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/880/880441p1.html

So, it looks like it will be only for the 360 for now. Actually, this surprises me more than than FFXIII coming to the 360. I'm not sure of the name, but there s a SRPG from Atlus that is coming to the 360 only for now as well.
BoneyCork wrote:It seems they also announced there will no longer be a worldwide simultaneous release as was earlier hinted at. Considering Japan is still ETA and Square's usual gaps between continent releases, it's kinda disappointing news. Getting pretty hard to keep caring about a game that is nowhere near release.

I don't think it's about milking the franchise. I just think the video-gaming market has changed and it no longer makes sense to go exclusive with big-budget games unless you have been paid to do so.
I agree. We may not even see FFXIII until x-mas 2009 at the earliest. However, why Sony didn't shovel out a ton of $$ to keep it an exclusive is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe they did so to keep it an exclusive for Japan where the PS3 is far more relevant, or they just don't see a need to release a 360 version there.

I don't see much of a reason for me to bother with a PS3 for quite awhile. Had they left HW BC in, then maybe I would have gotten one sooner. But right now, the only game that interests me is MGS4, and who knows how long that will stay as an exclusive.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

abydos1000 wrote:
Hasney wrote:I'm actually more looking forward to Star Ocean on the 360. Is that one coming out on the PS3 as well, or just 360?
I normally don't like citing ign, but

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/880/880441p1.html

So, it looks like it will be only for the 360 for now. Actually, this surprises me more than than FFXIII coming to the 360. I'm not sure of the name, but there s a SRPG from Atlus that is coming to the 360 only for now as well.
Spectral Force 3. It comes out Tuesday.