Wii FreeLoader plays imported Gamecube and Wii games

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wii FreeLoader plays imported Gamecube and Wii games

Post by az_bont »

Datel has now confirmed the price for the Wii FreeLoader will be £9.99. As already stated earlier the NEW product boasts the ability to play all Wii games regardless of region thanks to this universal disc.
Source: MAXCONSOLE
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Re: Wii FreeLoader plays imported Gamecube and Wii games

Post by Skynet »

Cool. That's definitely handy for us poor bastards in kangaroo land. :(
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's great and means I can buy a Japanese Wii and play US/EU Wii and GC games with it :)

...or maybe try that new Wasabi modchip: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpo ... ostcount=1
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hasney wrote:Yes, but is it more compatible than a mod-chip?
I don't really see how this can be done without Nintendo patching it and killing it off.
It's thinking...
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

UPDATE: Here's a quote I just found from Datel (The developers):
With the announcement of the Freeloader for Wii, more questions have been raised about how exactly the disc will run, how firmware updates will be handled and more. Thanks to an email sent to Datel, more information has surfaced. According to the developers, when a foreign disc is inserted it disables the console from being able to update its firmware. What about future firmware updates? Datel believe that it won't have any effect, but we've emailed Datel ourselves to confirm. For artwork of the Freeloader box, head inside.

Source
Well, if that really turns out to be true, then even Nintendo's firmware updates can't stop it from working. That changes a lot.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I remember buying a freeloader for my cube just so that I could play soul caliber 2 back in the day before it launched in the us.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Mattiethomas wrote:UPDATE: Here's a quote I just found from Datel (The developers):
With the announcement of the Freeloader for Wii, more questions have been raised about how exactly the disc will run, how firmware updates will be handled and more. Thanks to an email sent to Datel, more information has surfaced. According to the developers, when a foreign disc is inserted it disables the console from being able to update its firmware. What about future firmware updates? Datel believe that it won't have any effect, but we've emailed Datel ourselves to confirm. For artwork of the Freeloader box, head inside.

Source
Well, if that really turns out to be true, then even Nintendo's firmware updates can't stop it from working. That changes a lot.
That doesn't change anything.

Currently, if you put in a Japanese or PAL game into a US Wii, and the game asks you to do a firmware update, if you apply that JPN/PAL update to your US Wii you can brick it. All that announcement is saying is that they're blocking the import games from attempting to update. Nintendo can still deliver a firmware update through the usual methods, like USA titles or WiiConnect24, and kill off the FreeLoader.
It's thinking...