The Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

The Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

Post by |darc| »

So I got the Japanese version of this game and I've been playing the hell out of it for the last two days.

Melee was the only game last generation that I consistently played often throughout the entire generation. From getting a Gamecube and a used copy of Melee in my early times at high school until recently, Melee was a common thing for my friends and I to kill time with. It was the only game that really all of my friends (except two) enjoyed, no matter their background (and I had a decent amount of friends that did no gaming at all), and everyone was willing to play a game almost any time. I don't think I could have gotten that out of any other multiplayer game in my library. I have fond memories of setting up two televisions and two Gamecubes and having 8 people (even girls ;)) battle it out over pizza. It's really no wonder to me why Melee was the best selling Gamecube game.

I thought I should write some stuff about it now that I've gotten my hands on Brawl. I haven't explored a lot of the game, as some of the language barrier is prohibitive. I haven't tried playing online and I haven't tried the level editor.

Basically, if you loved Melee, you will love Brawl. It's basically more of the same thing you got with Melee. It's definitely not as big of a gap as the N64 version to Melee was. But what has been added seems like essentials for Melee die-hards like me.

As far as characters go, the new characters are Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong series), Ike (Fire Emblem series), King Dedede (Kirby series), Lucario (Pokemon series), Lucas (Mother/Earthbound series), Meta Knight (Kirby series), Pikmin & Olimar (Pikmin series), Pit (Kid Icarus), Pokemon Trainer, R.O.B. (from the original NES release), Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid series), Sonic The Hedgehog, Wario (Mario series), Wolf (Star Fox series), and Zero Suit Samus (Metroid series).

Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link have been removed. From what I hear (I have not yet unlocked him), Lucario functions just like Mewtwo, so hopefully that appeases Mewtwo die-hards. Young Link is really not gone, he has been replaced by "Toon Link," which is the cel-shaded Wind Waker Link. I will miss Dr. Mario, as I really enjoyed him as a heavier Mario. Pichu had no place in Melee to begin with in my opinion. Ike replaces Roy, so Roy users should be fine with that.

As for the controls: it's hard to tell that this is even a Wii game. There's none of the usual point-and-click menus that are on other Wii games. You can control the game with a Gamecube controller just like Melee, with no problem. So serious Smash Bros. players will not be disappointed in the controls area. Alternatively, you can use the Classic controller (works just like the Gamecube setup, but slightly less comfortable IMO), the Wiimote+Nunchuk (works quite well, and is similar to a Gamecube controller, but I am trying to get used to the two controller halves not being stuck together), or you can use the Wiimote turned on its side. Surprisingly enough, using the Wiimote on its side is not actually that bad. If you are not a serious player, and you're just playing casually, you won't have any problem playing like this. It won't be frustrating, it won't be a roadblock in your gameplay. But if you are a serious player, then you'll want to go with a Gamecube controller or a Wiimote+Nunchuk, IMO. You can also customize the buttons how you like them now as well.

There's a much larger level selection now, too. And now there's a pretty cool sounding level editor, but like I said, I didn't get to try it out. I usually play on the plainest levels with no items if I'm playing competitively--I don't like the levels and items to get in the way. The Pictochat level is perfectly plain I believe, and from the start of the game you have items options. You don't have to unlock that.

The gameplay is exactly what you would expect from a Smash Bros. game. It feels pretty much just like Smash Bros. Melee.

The new storyline mode is basically a very expanded version of the adventure mode from Melee. It's definitely an improvement over the old adventure mode, but like the adventure mode, it's not something special or memorable. Maybe I will like it more when I have an English version. You will probably play through it once and enjoy it, but not write home about it.

Solid Snake is slower than I expected him to me, and I'm sorta disappointed with him. He fits in awkwardly. Keep in mind I've only been playing for about 2 days now, and I should probably take the opportunity to learn more with him. He is definitely an interesting character, and I'm not ruling him out yet. The potential is there.

Sonic, on the other hand, performs much better than I expected him to. He is very, very fast, as you would expect. But his moves aren't bad either, and I thought they would be. I've only been playing with him for a little while (just unlocked), so I can't give more insight into him. If you like fast, this may be your character. I will consider making him my character of choice.

Pokemon Trainer is interesting as well. As you play with him, you get to switch between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Squirtle is quick but weak, Charizard as slow but powerful, and Ivysaur is balanced between them. This is how all Smash Bros. characters are, but now you get all three packages in one player choice.

My previous character of choice was Young Link, and I haven't unlocked Toon Link yet. The methods I've found online to unlock him haven't worked for me so far, so I'm frustrated and I want my character back! :P

My overall verdict is buy. If you play Melee a lot, you should pick up Brawl to expand the game you love. If you don't have Melee and you're interested in Smash Bros., you should definitely pick up Brawl. If you enjoy Melee but you aren't die-hard, you may just want to stick with what you already own. Brawl is great, but its new features are not a deal-breaker.

Basically, Brawl is a Melee Plus, or perhaps Melee Pro. You're getting the exact same Melee game but online play, an expanded adventure mode, a level editor, more characters (including some interesting ones like Sonic and Snake), more levels, more items, and overall more customization. Another perk is that my friends and I have more controllers now as well. Between our Gamecube and Wii controllers, I don't think we'll as easily find ourselves in a situation where a player has to sit out because of a lack of controllers. The core gameplay has not changed much, though, so casual Smash Bros. players might just want to stick with Melee or wait until Brawl becomes cheaper.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: The Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

Post by |darc| »

Hasney wrote:As for toon link, have you beat SSE? If you have, go back to the level where Link and Yoshi are first playable and there will be a new door. Win the match agains Toon Link and he's all yours.
Nope, I haven't beaten SSE yet. The online guides I've found say all you have to do is beat Classic with Link and you'll get him, but that hasn't been the case.

I'm having problems unlocking Jigglypuff as well. From what I've read, all you have to do is beat the game with anyone, which is pretty much in-line with the last two Smash Bros. games. But I can't get him to appear.

The only characters I have left to unlock are Jigglypuff, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Toon Link, and Wolf.

The other interesting thing about the new control schemes is that I'm finding it easier to play with some characters with a different remote. I like Link with the Gamecube controller (maybe because I'm used to it), but I am getting good with Ness on the Wiimote+Nunchuk. It's easier for me to differentiate his attacks by front button/physical, trigger/PK spells than it is with two face buttons. I never was good with Ness on Melee, but I'm getting better with him on Brawl.

This game also has a pretty amazing soundtrack. It sounds great on my system.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

Friend of mine who lives in Japan has this and is coming to America with it (and his Japanese Wii of course). So I'll be playing it multiplayer pretty soon.

Myself though, considering how soon it comes out in America, I think I'd rather have the American version. On a side note, the Japanese voice of Mario/Luigi is different than the American one in Brawl, right?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ive been waiting for this game for years, even before the game was announced I wanted a new one with a passion. The stage creator and co op modes have caught my attention, as well as Meta Knight, Sonic and final smashes altogether.

The creator tried making this game the smash bros to end all smash bros, and from the looks of it, it is.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Does this game ever leave you wishing for something SSBM had? That's the best way I can think of to determine if they have improved the franchise.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Unexpected excited-ness for Brawl..

Post by Mattiethomas »

At first I was like, "Eh, a new Smash Bros., it'll be alright; Nothing really new." But, for some reason I suddenly am really excited and have an urge to play Smash Bros. Brawl. I guess it's the mix of Wifi/Character moveset youtube videos and Gamestop's Brawl tournament on midnight launch thats mainly getting me wanting the game this minute. Oh, there's also the rest of the new things in this game. :wink:

Guess we'll need a new topic for Brawl Friend Codes soon too.

Also, for you 'lucky' select few that own Brawl already, do online Wifi matches count towards the total matches needed for unlocking a character or stage?
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: Unexpected excited-ness for Brawl..

Post by mrandyk »

Mattiethomas wrote: Also, for you 'lucky' select few that own Brawl already, do online Wifi matches count towards the total matches needed for unlocking a character or stage?
I think that they would, but your are more likely to unlock what you want the way you did in melee than play hundreds of matches.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Just got from a very long three player session. It's fun, feels a lot like melee though it is slower. Basically, if you liked melee, you'll like it. If you didn't, you won't.

My favorite new character is probably R.O.B. (well, Robot in the version I played). He's pretty fun and I love his concept and such. Wario is also good. Really, all the new characters are fun.

There's also a lot of good new music, and tons of really great small touches. Just a lot of good stuff added in.

Some stuff I didn't like...

Level editor could be a lot better. You can do some OK stuff with it, but I'd have liked more.

Jigglypuff's roll attack was weakened way too much.

Yoshi seems to suck even more. Possibly the worst character in the game.

Some of the levels gimmicks are a bit too much, though I could see getting used to them.

The final smashes look neat, but they're so incredibly powerful in a few cases and a lot of the time getting them is a matter of luck that I expect a good number of people will turn them off.

Oh yeah, and playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuck SUCKS. Cube controllers or Classic controllers only. Just a warning.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Lartrak wrote: Level editor could be a lot better. You can do some OK stuff with it, but I'd have liked more.
Level editor..Eh, not caring too much about it at the moment. Might mess around with it when I'm in an creative mood.
Lartrak wrote: Yoshi seems to suck even more. Possibly the worst character in the game.
Mwuahaha, my brother is screwed.
Lartrak wrote: Some of the levels gimmicks are a bit too much, though I could see getting used to them.
Yeah, I had a feeling that would be a problem. Hopefully there are enough 'normal' stages to even it out.
Lartrak wrote: The final smashes look neat, but they're so incredibly powerful in a few cases and a lot of the time getting them is a matter of luck that I expect a good number of people will turn them off.
Final Smashes..I'll use them for maybe a bit at first but, after I start getting raped by them over and over each match, I'll probably turn them off; seeing as it's a lot more fair without them. I admit though, they do look like a fun addition to the game.
Lartrak wrote: Oh yeah, and playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuck SUCKS. Cube controllers or Classic controllers only. Just a warning.
Gamecube controllers = Always. I can't imagine using anything else. I'm curious to see how the game plays on the Classic controller though.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

preordered this game. I kinda wished that Bonk, from the turbo grafx, would have been considered for this game.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Alright, I'm kind of ticked. After countless times this week of planning on going to Gamestop to pre-order the game (Around 3 times I had to keep delaying it) I finally was able to go to Gamestop today, only to hear they stopped pre-orders yesterday. Inside I was mad but I tried not to look upset. I know it's not a big deal, I can find it somewhere else, but still, I'm going to their Brawl tournament on launch night, but don't have a reservation for the game. The employee said they probably wont be selling the game to people who didn't pre-order it; which is bull to me.

No offence to those who work there. But argh, whatever Gamestop.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I work at toys r us, and we have 250 copies of this game in the r zone booth and thus far only 38 pre orders; you should try them, mattie.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

My friend works at GameStop and they got a huge shipment in, so I don't think you'll have a hard time buying one.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Mattiethomas wrote:Alright, I'm kind of ticked. After countless times this week of planning on going to Gamestop to pre-order the game (Around 3 times I had to keep delaying it) I finally was able to go to Gamestop today, only to hear they stopped pre-orders yesterday. Inside I was mad but I tried not to look upset. I know it's not a big deal, I can find it somewhere else, but still, I'm going to their Brawl tournament on launch night, but don't have a reservation for the game. The employee said they probably wont be selling the game to people who didn't pre-order it; which is bull to me.

No offence to those who work there. But argh, whatever Gamestop.
Dude just go to Walmart at midnight and save a couple of dollars while you are at it. I don't care for Walmart, but I'd rather shop there than deal with pre-order hell at Gamestop.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Yea Walmart is the way to go, me and 5 friends are going there at midnight. I just hope that there are enough copies.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:My friend works at GameStop and they got a huge shipment in, so I don't think you'll have a hard time buying one.
Gamestop (at least the one near me) will not sell new games for three days after it's release unless you have a preorder. Even if they have extra copies that were not preorders, they will not sell them until three days after it's release. This has tripped me up on more than one occasion because I will go to sell stuff off just to find that they won't sell a game to me because I didn't preorder.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

That's definitely just your local GameStops (probably something the regional manager did) thing. Others sell them immediately.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:My friend works at GameStop and they got a huge shipment in, so I don't think you'll have a hard time buying one.
Gamestop (at least the one near me) will not sell new games for three days after it's release unless you have a preorder. Even if they have extra copies that were not preorders, they will not sell them until three days after it's release. This has tripped me up on more than one occasion because I will go to sell stuff off just to find that they won't sell a game to me because I didn't preorder.
My friend works at GameStop and I mentioned this to him. He said that this is against corporate policy and if you call corporate and report them this will stop really quick. :|
It's thinking...
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:
My friend works at GameStop and I mentioned this to him. He said that this is against corporate policy and if you call corporate and report them this will stop really quick. :|
I should totally do that. It's almost 2AM here and I'm with out Brawl until tomorrow because my Gamestop wouldn't sell anyone the game that didn't pre-order it. Sigh, I can wait another day I guess..

I played Brawl at the Gamestop tournament, it was insanely fun, the Smash Balls helped keep the matches alive, though they used the Wiimote and Nunchuk so I kind of sucked a bit. If they were Gamecube controllers, I could only imagine..

We must get a Brawl Code thread going guys. I want to see everyones skills. ;)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Mattiethomas wrote:
|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:
I should totally do that. It's almost 2AM here and I'm with out Brawl until tomorrow because my Gamestop wouldn't sell anyone the game that didn't pre-order it. Sigh, I can wait another day I guess..

I played Brawl at the Gamestop tournament, it was insanely fun, the Smash Balls helped keep the matches alive, though they used the Wiimote and Nunchuk so I kind of sucked a bit. If they were Gamecube controllers, I could only imagine..

We must get a Brawl Code thread going guys. I want to see everyones skills. ;)
Well, they can refuse if all they have left is preorder copies.
It's thinking...