BREAKING NEWS: Mexicans capable of basic human decency

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BREAKING NEWS: Mexicans capable of basic human decency

Post by Roofus »

An illegal immigrant who gave up his long walk into the U.S. to help a boy whose mother was killed in a van crash in the desert said Wednesday that he never thought of leaving the child.

"I am a father of four children. For that, I stayed," Manuel Jesus Cordova Soberanes said in Spanish from his home in the Mexican state of Sonora. "I never could have left him. Never."

Authorities said Cordova may have saved the life of 9-year-old Christopher Buztheitner, whose mother was killed when their van ran off a cliff in a remote area north of the Mexican border on Thanksgiving Day.

A spokeswoman for the Mexican consulate in Nogales said the office is working to obtain a short-term visa for Cordova so he can come to Arizona and be recognized for his actions.

The 26-year-old bricklayer was two days into his walk and about 50 miles from Tucson when he saw the boy, who had walked away from the crash.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press from his home in Magdalena de Kino, Mexico, Cordova said Christopher had scrapes on his leg and was dressed in shorts despite the desert cold.

The boy had his dog with him and was holding a side mirror from the wrecked van.

Neither Cordova nor Christopher spoke the other's language, but the boy took the migrant to the edge of a canyon and showed him the accident site.

Authorities said Christopher and his mother, 45-year-old Dawn Alice Tomko, had been in the area camping. Tomko was driving on a U.S. Forest Service road when she lost control of the van, which landed 300 feet from the road.

By the looks of the mangled van down below, Cordova said, it was obvious the boy's mother had died. The child was distraught but did not cry.

"I felt frustrated and sad because I couldn't do anything for the mother," Cordova said. "And I didn't know how to console the boy, so I just sat next to him."

Cordova gave the boy the sweater he was wearing, climbed down to the van, and found chocolate and cookies to feed him.

He then built a bonfire, and the two hunkered down. The boy slept most of the night; Cordova kept watch and tended the fire.

Fourteen hours later, a group of hunters found the pair and called for help. U.S. Border Patrol agents took Cordova into custody, and Christopher was flown to a hospital in Tucson.

Christopher was reunited with family over the weekend; a message left with his uncle was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada said Cordova is "very, very special and compassionate" and may have saved the boy's life.

Adriana Hoyos Rodriguez, the mayor of Magdalena de Kino, called Cordova a hero. "He left everything to save that boy," she said.

Cordova said he wanted to come to the United States to earn money to feed his four children, who live with their mother, and help support his girlfriend's three children. "I have two families, many mouths to feed," he said.

He said that even though his trip was thwarted, he is glad to be back home and wishes Christopher the best. "I hope he has a good life," he said.

Link
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Mexicans capable of basic human decency

Post by Nico0020 »

I'm half mexican, so yea thats a fucked up topic title. Why do you think all the mexicans come to the states, to send money back home. I'd say leaving the family to make better money so they can live a better life while he gets treated like shit is pretty much "human decency". Nice story though.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Nico0020 wrote:I'm half mexican, so yea thats a fucked up topic title. Why do you think all the mexicans come to the states, to send money back home. I'd say leaving the family to make better money so they can live a better life while he gets treated like shit is pretty much "human decency". Nice story though.
I'm sorry if the topic offended you. I named it that because that's how the story came off to me; that they played up the illegal immigrant part far more than was necessary. Instead of being about a guy who helped a kid, it was about how Mexicans are capable of emotions like compassion. With an opening line like this:
An illegal immigrant who gave up his long walk into the U.S. to help a boy whose mother was killed in a van crash in the desert said Wednesday that he never thought of leaving the child.
The title seemed like the logical conclusion.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Roofus wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:I'm half mexican, so yea thats a fucked up topic title. Why do you think all the mexicans come to the states, to send money back home. I'd say leaving the family to make better money so they can live a better life while he gets treated like shit is pretty much "human decency". Nice story though.
I'm sorry if the topic offended you. I named it that because that's how the story came off to me; that they played up the illegal immigrant part far more than was necessary. Instead of being about a guy who helped a kid, it was about how Mexicans are capable of emotions like compassion. With an opening line like this:
The title seemed like the logical conclusion.
Even though I am only Salvadoran by heritage (It's not Salvadorean according to the CIA factbook), I see where you are coming from, Nico. Except for the fact that so many Americans think that all people of hispanic race (who for the most part may as well be Mexican, and I've given up trying to explain this fact to people who will forget) are lazy good for-nothings that have no shred of humanity, takin' der jobs and shit. So the reality of it all is that the journalist has to point out the "compassion" (it's fucked up for ANYONE to do otherwise in the situation Soberanos was in) because either:

A) He/She is a racist prick
B) He/She is aware of the stereotype and is trying to combat them.

Unfortunately, most of America is still racist, and that includes the minorities (Blacks and Jews come to mind). I know I joke around with friends, many of whom happen to be white, but we are all well aware that these are all stereotypes, and that they really don't predict anything about a person. Racism is bad, but for some reason or another, articles like this have to exist because otherwise we would only have news about some random illegal immigrant killing someone while driving drunk.

:x
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

So the reality of it all is that the journalist has to point out the "compassion" (it's fucked up for ANYONE to do otherwise in the situation Soberanos was in) because either:

A) He/She is a racist prick
B) He/She is aware of the stereotype and is trying to combat them.
C) He/She was trying to push her immigration agenda. ("Look see they're all just decent people and we should just let them all walk in because they're nice people")
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I don't think it really has anything to do with any of that. It's more like the guy could have walked on, made it into the US to make money for his family, or he could have helped a little kid and got in trouble. He did the latter and should be commended for it. It's easy to say "that's what he should have done" but he had a lot to gain by not doing it.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Except for the fact that so many Americans think that all people of hispanic race (who for the most part may as well be Mexican, and I've given up trying to explain this fact to people who will forget) are lazy good for-nothings that have no shred of humanity, takin' der jobs and shit.
[/quote]

That's gotta be my favorite stereotype. Mexicans are lazy while at the same time they're taking very tough, difficult jobs with long hours (which is part of the same stereotype). It's hilariously stupid.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Lartrak wrote: That's gotta be my favorite stereotype. Mexicans are lazy while at the same time they're taking very tough, difficult jobs with long hours (which is part of the same stereotype). It's hilariously stupid.
Those stereo types took hold in the 20's and 30's during the depression. We imported labor from mexican in the roaring 20's then when the stock market crashed we told the mexicans to go home. They didn't leave, so a propaganda campaign was launched stereo typing mexicans as being to lazy to fill what little jobs there were.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Really? That's quite interesting. And, sadly, not surprising. I figured it came out because of misunderstandings about stuff like siestas.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Lartrak wrote:
Except for the fact that so many Americans think that all people of hispanic race (who for the most part may as well be Mexican, and I've given up trying to explain this fact to people who will forget) are lazy good for-nothings that have no shred of humanity, takin' der jobs and shit.
That's gotta be my favorite stereotype. Mexicans are lazy while at the same time they're taking very tough, difficult jobs with long hours (which is part of the same stereotype). It's hilariously stupid.[/quote]
I agree, it's quite illogical.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Covar wrote:we should just let them all walk in
Which would be a good thing.
Insane homebrew collector.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Lay off the crack pipe Covar.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Calavera wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:
?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Covar wrote:
Calavera wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:
?
Whoops, my mistake. I meant Christuserloeser. So disregard my post Covar, and hit that crack pipe as hard as your heart desires. :lol:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hey, I can dream of a world without borders without having to smoke crack. :P
Insane homebrew collector.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null