OSX "Leopard" Is a Smug Bastard

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OSX "Leopard" Is a Smug Bastard

Post by DaMadFiddler »

That is the actual system icon that Mac OSX 10.5 uses to represent Windows PCs on a network. Make of it what you will.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: OSX "Leopard" Is a Smug Bastard

Post by MulletMan13 »

Old news.

They can't officially use the WIndows logo, so might as well throw something in there as recognizable as it.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Now that's rude. And that's a "9x era" BSOD, so the Mac equivalent is:

A better image would be a generic "hill and blue sky" similar to the Windows XP default wallpaper.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Stormwatch wrote:Now that's rude. And that's a "9x era" BSOD, so the Mac equivalent is:

A better image would be a generic "hill and blue sky" similar to the Windows XP default wallpaper.
However, that is the BSOD that everyone is used to. The BSODs in WinXP and Windows Vista don't look too much different from it, anyway... though they don't show up very often at all.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

now, if vista had included an image of a mac error to indicate there was a mac on the network...just imagine the kind of feedback it would have gotten.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

You Windows users seem pretty pissed off by it which makes it that much funnier.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

bizzle wrote:You Windows users seem pretty pissed off by it which makes it that much funnier.
I just find it stupid especially given I've never once had a BSOD on this box or my old one. Only time I've seen 2k/XP or Vista BSOD at this point as because of bad hardware or some piece of software fucking up something important.

It's like a Yakov Smirnoff joke, not funny anymore.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

bizzle wrote:You Windows users seem pretty pissed off by it which makes it that much funnier.
Um...most of the people who've commented in this thread (myself included) are actually Mac users :P
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Not so much pissed off by this in particular, but the entire culture that Apple has created. From everything I see and hear from Apple, their marketing scheme doesn't target new consumers, but instead only serves to strengthen an almost fierce loyalty that devoted Mac users have towards Apple. I find it hard to believe that any mainstream PC user would watch those 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials and suddenly gain a desire to switch to Mac. I would think they would feel more insulted than anything.

That's not to say that I think Apple sucks or anything. They have some awesome products, some of which I own myself. But the way they present themselves to the world creates a distinct split that causes an unnecessary high amount of rivalry between the two groups.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

melancholy wrote:
Not so much pissed off by this in particular, but the entire culture that Apple has created. From everything I see and hear from Apple, their marketing scheme doesn't target new consumers, but instead only serves to strengthen an almost fierce loyalty that devoted Mac users have towards Apple. I find it hard to believe that any mainstream PC user would watch those 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials and suddenly gain a desire to switch to Mac. I would think they would feel more insulted than anything.

That's not to say that I think Apple sucks or anything. They have some awesome products, some of which I own myself. But the way they present themselves to the world creates a distinct split that causes an unnecessary high amount of rivalry between the two groups.
Having seen 'switchers' every single day they can COMPLETELY relate to the commercials and stop into the store to check things out. The commercials are not made for people that build their own computers or know how to troubleshoot computers, they are made ( and effective) for the other 90% of the population.

I can completely see how you'd be offended by those, it's not hard to keep a stable, up to date Windows computer, but truth is that most people have no effing clue as to how to do it.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

I walked into an apple store once, maybe twice. The last time i was in there (2 weeks ago) i was asking some questions about the hardware differences and why the prices jumped so much, and the answer given was:

"Well if you can't afford the price of the macbook pro's, then you dont need that much power anyway"

Fuck apple.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, at any rate I'm going to stay out of the argument because I can only relate my experience to the people I am surrounded by, and those people are primarily college students that are diehard Mac owners. I have no problem with them using Macs, but many people in my class certainly have a problem with my laptop. And I couldn't count the number of times I've been told by a particular professor that I'll never get a job because I still primarily use a PC.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:

Sounds like you've been hanging around with too many computer geeks.

The average "mainstream" computer user feels no emotional ties to the OS, why would they feel insulted? Do you think mainstream cola drinkers--who would likely drinking Coke--get offended by Pepsi challenge commercials?

Also, statistically, you're wrong--Apple has been selling 50% of its Macs to Apple virgins. Mac market share is growing. Apple has sold more Macs this quarter than in the entire rest of the company's history.

The rivalry is easily understandable. You're talking about a company that practically invented personal computing as we know it. Yet they have a tiny market share and the Big Brand steals ideas from them constantly while being very popular. Both people who have been longtime Mac owners/computer enthusiasts and people who, upon having switched to Macs as Windows refugees, find it a much better platform have a special connection to their machines.

Does it really surprise you that the underdog, known for having a superior operating system and is actually a pioneer of personal computing, is going to take shots at the huge corporation that is known for its stealing ideas?
MKE wrote:I walked into an apple store once, maybe twice. The last time i was in there (2 weeks ago) i was asking some questions about the hardware differences and why the prices jumped so much, and the answer given was:

"Well if you can't afford the price of the macbook pro's, then you dont need that much power anyway"

Fuck apple.
mulletman and Xylene could probably answer this better than I can, but I doubt that the employees are really trained much in that area. Apple's hardware is a good value if you know when to buy. Most people don't and automatically assume that Apple's hardware is overpriced. It is not.
melancholy wrote:Well, at any rate I'm going to stay out of the argument because I can only relate my experience to the people I am surrounded by, and those people are primarily college students that are diehard Mac owners. I have no problem with them using Macs, but many people in my class certainly have a problem with my laptop. And I couldn't count the number of times I've been told by a particular professor that I'll never get a job because I still primarily use a PC.
While I wouldn't say that it's going to stop you from getting a job, it is sort of weird to have a PC in the type of work you do.
It's thinking...
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I've not seen a BSOD since windows 98, but I don't use windows full-time any more

...I have however seen not less than five of the lovely grey kernel panic screens from OSX in the three and a half years I've been using it

...What I haven't seen, is any sort of problem out of my server running Ubuntu
this is my signature
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:I've not seen a BSOD since windows 98, but I don't use windows full-time any more

...I have however seen not less than five of the lovely grey kernel panic screens from OSX in the three and a half years I've been using it

...What I haven't seen, is any sort of problem out of my server running Ubuntu
Hm. My last desktop came with Windows ME, so I had to deal with all sorts of ridiculous crap on a constant basis. I downgraded using a copy of Win98SE I had lying around from a previous machine, until I could get my hands on XP. (Only time I've not installed a "legitimate" OS...but I felt absolutely no qualms about taking it after being saddled with ME. Then, when I got my last laptop, it came with XP legitimately).

I liked XP quite a lot, especially in comparison to previous versions of Windows. However, I still found that fairly major issues would start popping up if I went for more than about a year without reformatting and starting fresh.

I switched to a Mac a bit under two years ago...early 2006. I go for *months* without rebooting the thing, and I only ever encountered the kernel panic once. One of the fairly major system updates (either 10.4.8, or 10.4.9) apparently corrupted during download, but not enough for the system to catch it before installing...so I ended up with a faulty install. Booting from the restore disc and re-running the update fixed the problem, and I haven't had any issues before or since.

Which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for any of the DOS and Windows machines I've owned over the years.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

It's not only the BSOD it's the ratty old beige early 90s monitor they've used too.
Surely the BSOD is as copyrighted as any Windows logo anyway? Not that I've seen one in years, it only seems to be when hardware is faulty that you'll see anything like that now.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

not just souLLy now wrote:Surely the BSOD is as copyrighted as any Windows logo anyway?
I wouldn't count on it. Also, the Windows logo would run into trademark issues as well.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

MKE wrote:I walked into an apple store once, maybe twice. The last time i was in there (2 weeks ago) i was asking some questions about the hardware differences and why the prices jumped so much, and the answer given was:

Fuck apple.
That person should have been fired on the spot. We are run through a lot of training, I really don't recall a lot of it since I know the hardware inside and out, but nevertheless the policy at Apple Retail is that if you don't know the answer to something, find one of your fellow employees that do. We don't try to *sell* people a product, we just inform them. Apple has started hiring a shitton of people in the last few weeks, and unfortunately due to this rush I've noticed they haven't taken the care to screen people/train them quite as well as they used to. I get Power Windows users in all the time, and as I'm aware of this sort of rivalry (and condescendence on our side of things) I try to make good with them, and show them that we aren't all smug and pretentious.

Before I worked at Apple I had similar experiences in Apple Retail ( I was in there twice 3 years ago talking about iPods and iMacs) and overall I was left with a terrible idea of the places. Now as I'm on the inside of things, I've seen that nearly 90% of the employees are totally competent, extremely nice, and well informed. The last 10% are legacy employees that have been at the store for nearly 4 or 5 years now. These people are more cliquey, and tend to give off the "I'm better than you" vibe, which I can't stand.

As for the icon? I think it's harmless fun. A default WinXP background would have sufficed (not sure about the copyright on that), but I really don't see a problem in having it. And also for some background, I ran a WinXP box from beta (sometime in 2000) to about 2003, and not once had a single BSOD. I don't even know what it looks like in WinXP or Vista. I've been completely happy with the stability of the OS, but there are just some major things about it that I find lacking, and overly difficult to use. Anybody with more than half a brain can create a stable, clean Win XP box... but unfortunately there are so many people with average and below average computing skills.

Why can't we be friends....

*pulls a dove out of his Apple lanyard and watches it fly away*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

As for the icon? I think it's harmless fun.
No, it's the representation of a childish one-up attitude that has been the crux of Apple's business plan for years. I've been subjected to loads of Apple advertising over the years and I am still none-the-wiser as to what is actually better about Macs.

All I've seen is an Apple-led one-man pissing contest telling me that Macs are more "hip". All their marketing still seems fixated on selling a lifestyle and a brand rather than a product. Hell, maybe that is more successful, but I'll personally always respect Microsoft more for not joining in.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I think it's in poor taste. And you're right about the monitor, souLLy. It just adds to the offense that it's an old CRT. Come on.