Halo 3 Impressions?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Halo 3 Impressions?

Post by Luriden »

I don't have it, but according to my Xbox Live friends list, some of you do. How is it? I remember not being too impressed by the beta, it felt like Halo 2.5, but has it changed that much from the beta?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Halo 3 Impressions?

Post by pixel »

I'm a fanboy. I love it. I was at Wal-Mart at 8 last night to be ready. I'm glad too, because I was number 20ish among 200+ people. Some people didn't walk out of there with a copy.
Here's my quick list of pros and cons:
Pros:
Campaign:
- It feels more like Halo 1 (more epic) than Halo 2 (more lame).
- A.I. brings a good challenge at Heroic and Legendary
- Varied levels with good mix of different battles

Multiplayer:
- Much, much more robust than Halo 3
- Forge is a great time-waster
- Live absolutely rocks

Cons:
Campaign
- It's easier than your mom
- Story is still suffering from Halo 2

Multiplayer:
- Maps are okay, some are great
- I don't like some of the new modes
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

IS the single player alone good enough to buy the game for? I have absolutely no interest in all for the on-line multiplayer. I never did play Halo 2 because I was told the single player mode was too short. I will admit though the sources that told me this are not the most reliable types either. Actually I probably outta go find Halo 2 and play it, I am sure its pretty cheap by now.

In any case I really liked the first Halo game.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I don't have a 360 but I played multiplayer for about 5 hours at my friends house last night because I'm also a fanboy. We started on 4 player split screen just getting a feel for the game. Then we moved into matchmaking until our friends on the west coast got it and we played infected and juggernaut with them in a private party.

I think it's pretty awesome. I was having a hard time finding ubber weapons and powerups on some of the levels. I like the refinements they made to some of the game types like assualt and territories but I hope the original rules are still available.

I read in a review that fast forward in the instant replay doesn't work how you think it would. I couldn't figure out how to fast forward at a reasonable speed. Seemed like there was only one which seems like double speed.

I would have to say don't get it if it's just for the campaign Vegitta. The reviews say it's about 12 hours and with a full team of good players you can beat it on legendary in about 6, which I find hard to believe. It does seem to have a lot of replay value though with the skulls, achievements and ability to play it with your friends over live. My question is why do you have no interest in the multiplayer... this IS Halo. As a side note there are A LOT of achievements that can only be unlocked by playing multiplayer maps in case that interests you.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Easy single player? Uh, play at a higher difficulty... if you've even touched a Halo game before, play at Heroic at least.

Length? Probably around 14 hours if you take your time and follow through with it. If you're not in it for the multiplayer, I'd say wait on it... if you play through halo 2 and really want to 'finish the fight' go for it, but maybe wait til you can get used copies.

Personally I'm loving it a LOT more than the beta... it feels complete, feels refined, and overall it feels like a completed product. It feels like a next-gen Halo... you won't be blown away by the gameplay (its largely the same) but all the equipment really change the way to play it. I've had a ton of fun online and in multiplayer while I thought the beta was just 'meh'.

Anyways I'm going to get back to playing.... scoring in Co-op is awesome too.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Im surprised people are having troubles finding some, there are several here. I plan on getting this game once it drops in price to something I would actually pay for, especially since I didnt like Halo 2 (People somehow like that game? is how I feel about it).
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Anyone have the collector's edition? I was working today and I'd say most of the people that bought or reserved the collector's edition had to bring it back. Apparently the packaging isn't too great, and the discs were unplayable right out of the box.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Mulletman brought up a good point. The new equipment is awesome. From the giant bubble shield and shield drain, there's so much that goes into multiplayer now.

And Veggita, I don't know if you want this game. The campaign is great, but only if you want to see the end of Halo.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Veggita2099 wrote:IS the single player alone good enough to buy the game for? I have absolutely no interest in all for the on-line multiplayer. I never did play Halo 2 because I was told the single player mode was too short. I will admit though the sources that told me this are not the most reliable types either. Actually I probably outta go find Halo 2 and play it, I am sure its pretty cheap by now.

I'd skip 2 & go straight to 3. Single player is good, looks nice, plays pretty much the same as the other Halos but more like the first game, which is a good thing.

I'm not into online games normally but H3 online is good fun, a lot better than H2 IMO. You just need to mute all so you don't have to listen to the kiddies whining & bitching non-stop.
Luriden wrote:Anyone have the collector's edition? I was working today and I'd say most of the people that bought or reserved the collector's edition had to bring it back. Apparently the packaging isn't too great, and the discs were unplayable right out of the box.
I've got the CE, there are no problems with the packaging or the discs. Maybe they packed them better in Australia or maybe I just got lucky? ;)

The big black box is sexxxy.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I picked up a Bubble Shield today... saw some dude staring at me... deployed it while I saw him pull out a sticky grenade.

... the sticky bounced off the shield, stuck him in the face, and he exploded right outside of the shield in a fit of swearing and tragedy.

Unfortunately I completely forgot about the theatre option, and the comedic gold is lost forever :'(
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:lol:
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Luriden wrote:Anyone have the collector's edition? I was working today and I'd say most of the people that bought or reserved the collector's edition had to bring it back. Apparently the packaging isn't too great, and the discs were unplayable right out of the box.
I did, and the game disc was scratched up like a pre-owned disc. At least the ebgames near me is trying to do the right thing; if the game disc is dinged up, the will pop open a copy of the regular edition, and swap the disc out. There is nothing they can do about the other disc (I think this edition tended to sell out); fortunately, in mine, that didn't come lose and was fine. Otherwise, you have to go through MS to replace it. These problems could have been avoided if they had made the posts to hold the discs a bit deeper so that they would be more secure.

People that spent a lot of money on ebay to get the legendary edition are idiots. The store near me still had some last night, and I could have traded up. I have no need to shell out that much for a spartan helmet though.

Impressions: I have only played through the first level. I like it so far, but it is too early to tell if the single player mode is more like Halo 1 than Halo 2 (which was lame). The marines are pretty die quickly just like in the other games.

Spoiler space

Is it me, or does the arbiter seem to be useless in single player mode?

End spoiler

I usually don't care for multiplayer either unless I can get on with people I know that won't act like imbeciles. That forge option seems like it could be a big time sink though.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

abydos1000 wrote:
Luriden wrote:Spoiler:
Is it me, or does the arbiter seem to be useless in single player mode?
Yeah, that's the only thing I didn't like. We sat through his entire story in Halo 2, but then get dropped like a meth addict in detox. He wasn't the best feature of 2, but I would like some closure.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I don't really like it all that much. The singleplayer campaign is really boring. The level design oh man. I felt like I was playing the exact same levels I'd played in 1 and 2. Nothing new here. Rehash that looks sorta good.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:IS the single player alone good enough to buy the game for? I have absolutely no interest in all for the on-line multiplayer. I never did play Halo 2 because I was told the single player mode was too short. I will admit though the sources that told me this are not the most reliable types either. Actually I probably outta go find Halo 2 and play it, I am sure its pretty cheap by now.

I'd skip 2 & go straight to 3. Single player is good, looks nice, plays pretty much the same as the other Halos but more like the first game, which is a good thing.

I'm not into online games normally but H3 online is good fun, a lot better than H2 IMO. You just need to mute all so you don't have to listen to the kiddies whining & bitching non-stop.
I've got the CE, there are no problems with the packaging or the discs. Maybe they packed them better in Australia or maybe I just got lucky? ;)

The big black box is sexxxy.
Actually they did package them better in australia. You guys got foam in your Limited edition cases we didnt.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yes, there is a nice chunk of foam in the box. The disc was firmly on the spindle as well.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:I don't really like it all that much. The singleplayer campaign is really boring. The level design oh man. I felt like I was playing the exact same levels I'd played in 1 and 2. Nothing new here. Rehash that looks sorta good.
I watched Jeeba and his friend play it, and that's pretty much what I thought as well. The levels looked just like I was watching them play the original Halo, and the graphics didn't seem to be that spectacular, but then again they were playing on a relatively small SDTV.

Maybe if it were for PC I'd give it a shot... but even if I had a 360, I'll pass on this. I suck at FPSs that use a controller.
It's thinking...