Bad Firmware Flash Woes on External HDD

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bad Firmware Flash Woes on External HDD

Post by AuroEdge »

So umm... I used the latest firmware flasher for my Western Digital My Book Pro and managed to completely erase the firmware or corrupt it. It doesn't even turn on anymore but if I connect it via USB it comes up as Blank Oxford Device. Windows won't mount it as a Hard Drive so I don't see any way to fix the problem. Any ideas short of RMA?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Bad Firmware Flash Woes on External HDD

Post by semicolo »

you probably can't do anything more, you'd need to reprogram the flash using a flash programmer since the self programming part must be damaged now.
Maybe there's some jtag workaround but only the manufacturer must know of it and you'd need specific hardware to do this.
And I assume you can't open the enclosure without voiding the warranty.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Firmware upgrades are usually an "at your own risk" kind of thing and therefore probably wouldn't be supported. Why would you flash the firmware on a hard drive, anyway?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Since it enumerates, I'd expect that there's some kind of recovery/debug mode. Unfortunately it seems that Oxford Semiconductor keeps all real info on their chips under wraps. I'd call WD tech support and see what they say. Modern devices shouldn't brick unrecoverably on routine updates unless the hardware itself is faulty. The techniques for avoiding this are not particularly arcane or expensive, and are applied to plenty of consumer-oriented devices.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer