Need help and advice on modification

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Need help and advice on modification

Post by MethodGit »

I'm trying to make an MST3K-themed QuakeDC using the following things:

1) The contents of the DCEvo edition as a base =]
2) The MST3K sounds pack
3) The two MST3K soundtrack albums ("Clowns In The Sky" and "Clowns In The Sky II").

I've carefully replaced the sounds and console background in both PAK0 and PAK1 with the MST3K wavs+conback.lmp and replaced the wavs in PAK3.PAK with select tracks from the two OSTs (after converting them to 11.025Hz 8-Bit Mono of course). However, while the finalized disc appears to boot up fine, and the attract mode runs ok........ the thing always freezes as I try to start a new game, during the loading process. I have a feeling it may have something to do with my music pack....... is there a length-limit on qtrackxx's in PAK3 due to limited memory? The tracks I put in aren't very long in themselves, but still, the DC appears to have a problem with them.

Also, I've noticed that the MST sounds pack includes its own progs.dat file, plus the source code, in its zip. It appears the one modification I've noticed is that it includes a unique "lava death" sound (onfire.wav) - is there any easy way to implement this in the JoyMenu source code and compile it afterwards?

Cheers.

(P.S. When I try to use the DCEvo-based Quake with a Windows executable like GLQuake for quick testing purposes, it appears to have a problem with PAK2's gfx.wad and progs.dat - gfx.wad produces a "W_GetLumpInfo: net not found" error when starting up, and it disappears if I remove gfx.wad. However, I then seem to have another problem in the form of "SV_StartSound: volume = 306", a game-ending error which pops-up any random time after I start a new game, but usually within some seconds after the Start map has finished loading and when I start moving about. Fiddling with default.cfg and the sound volumes in Options appears to not fix it. The error appears to be linked to PAK2's progs.dat, as it doesn't appear if I remove that. Any ideas?)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0

Re: Need help and advice on modification

Post by mankrip »

MethodGit wrote:I've carefully replaced the sounds and console background in both PAK0 and PAK1 with the MST3K wavs+conback.lmp and replaced the wavs in PAK3.PAK with select tracks from the two OSTs (after converting them to 11.025Hz 8-Bit Mono of course). However, while the finalized disc appears to boot up fine, and the attract mode runs ok........ the thing always freezes as I try to start a new game, during the loading process. I have a feeling it may have something to do with my music pack....... is there a length-limit on qtrackxx's in PAK3 due to limited memory? The tracks I put in aren't very long in themselves, but still, the DC appears to have a problem with them.
Try to keep the size of the WAV files around 1MB maximum, or the game will run out of memory. I had to do a lot of editing to reduce the length of the original tracks.

QuakeDC's awful music support was one of the reasons why I worked on nxMakaqu.
MethodGit wrote:Also, I've noticed that the MST sounds pack includes its own progs.dat file, plus the source code, in its zip. It appears the one modification I've noticed is that it includes a unique "lava death" sound (onfire.wav) - is there any easy way to implement this in the JoyMenu source code and compile it afterwards?
Sure, just get JoyMenu's source code and implement it.
MethodGit wrote:When I try to use the DCEvo-based Quake with a Windows executable like GLQuake for quick testing purposes, it appears to have a problem with PAK2's gfx.wad and progs.dat - gfx.wad produces a "W_GetLumpInfo: net not found" error when starting up, and it disappears if I remove gfx.wad.
HexQuake was edited to remove the loading of some unnecessary graphics, so I could remove these graphics from JoyMenu's gfx.wad to reduce the memory usage. You would need a modified engine to use JoyMenu's gfx.wad in the PC.
MethodGit wrote:However, I then seem to have another problem in the form of "SV_StartSound: volume = 306", a game-ending error which pops-up any random time after I start a new game, but usually within some seconds after the Start map has finished loading and when I start moving about.
This may be related to the footstep sounds, but I don't remember if the error message was the same. This problem only happened in GLQuake or D3DQuake (can't remember which one right now). Other engines doesn't have this problem.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Thanks for the advice. It appears quicktesting under DarkPlaces produces no problems. BTW, I decided to also change JM_Misc.qc to add 7 more qtracks (short ones still) - but it appears when testing under DarkPlaces, the same pieces of music play on all episodes, rather than allowing to mix randomly and let more tracks be heard. Is this something I can change in the code or is it very complicated?
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Ah, slight update regarding one of my earlier questions - it appears I was using a Direct3D-based Quake executable originally, and the SV_StartSound error only pops up with Direct3D ports. All GL-based ports cope with footsteps and whatever without a problem.

On another note though, after extensive testing with all kinds of engines, it appears DarkPlaces is the only port I know of that accepts JoyMenu's gfx.wad without throwing a game-ending fit upon boot-up. I guess it's THAT heavily modified from the original eh?
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

That's because Darkplaces is smart enough to have some failsafe base material and placeholder lumps to make stuff work

Darkplaces even runs without any media :)
DOODOO
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

MethodGit wrote:I decided to also change JM_Misc.qc to add 7 more qtracks (short ones still) - but it appears when testing under DarkPlaces, the same pieces of music play on all episodes, rather than allowing to mix randomly and let more tracks be heard.
JoyMenu doesn't play random music; the track number for each map is stored in the maps' BSP files. You may edit the JM_GetMusicName function to randomize the music, but if you want the randomization to be an optional feature you'll have to find a free cvar to store its setting.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Man, if I knew enough about coding to understand what cvars are and how they work, I'd try and get down on it already. =[

On another note, is it possible to use the DM maps pack (PAK4.PAK) with nxMakaqu by any chance? And I remember discussing ogg music with you before, and you saying it was a memory limit problem that it can't be implemented already, but I felt the need to ask something - is it the player alone which would take up too much memory? If not then perhaps if the oggs were encoded at a low bitrate the DC might be able to cope with them somehow?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

MethodGit wrote:Man, if I knew enough about coding to understand what cvars are and how they work, I'd try and get down on it already. =[
Console variables.
MethodGit wrote:is it possible to use the DM maps pack (PAK4.PAK) with nxMakaqu by any chance?
Yes, but you'll need to get some bots to play on it, and many of those maps will run too slow in nxMakaqu's software renderer.
MethodGit wrote:I remember discussing ogg music with you before, (...) is it the player alone which would take up too much memory? If not then perhaps if the oggs were encoded at a low bitrate the DC might be able to cope with them somehow?
There are some other problems involved also, like the speed. Decoding ogg files has a considerable impact on the framerate. There's a more detailed explanation in other threads.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Manoel wrote:
MethodGit wrote:Man, if I knew enough about coding to understand what cvars are and how they work, I'd try and get down on it already. =[
Console variables.
Pretty much on top of them storing values only for a session of quake and aren't stored in save games like parms.
MethodGit wrote:I remember discussing ogg music with you before, (...) is it the player alone which would take up too much memory? If not then perhaps if the oggs were encoded at a low bitrate the DC might be able to cope with them somehow?
Along with what Fragger said, I'm guessing here that since nxMakaqu is doing the graphics rendering through the Dreamcast CPU that anything taking away from it such as background .ogg decoding would decrease the framerate more. Perhaps one day in the future it'll use the PowerVR2 more and .ogg decoding would be more feasible.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:
Manoel wrote:Console variables.
Pretty much on top of them storing values only for a session of quake and aren't stored in save games like parms.
JoyMenu saves/loads some cvars to/from savegames, but I didn't mention it because it's a bit complicated.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==