Surround Sound

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surround Sound

Post by AuroEdge »

Most DVDs are 5.1 Dolby Digital, Blu-Rays/HD-DVDs are 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, and Wii is Dolby Pro Logic II right? Would an audio receiver with a 7.1 setup do the other two standards well too? What brands make good quality receivers?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Surround Sound

Post by politoe »

I would assume Pioneer. I always hear good stuff from them,
Bose for sure if anything.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Yeah a 7.1 should cover all of those no problem. I have a 6.1 setup and it supports 5.1, but in that mode the 6th channel has no sound coming out of it by default.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I've got 5.1 and only really use it for video games. Most movies over use the center channel and only parlay sound effects to the others. Once in a while you'll find a really kick ass movie that manages to surround you properly, if memory serves Saving Private Ryan was one of them.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

APE wrote:I've got 5.1 and only really use it for video games. Most movies over use the center channel and only parlay sound effects to the others. Once in a while you'll find a really kick ass movie that manages to surround you properly, if memory serves Saving Private Ryan was one of them.
True, I've noticed that. Did a tiny bit of research and was wondering how a 5.1 system would work with a 7.1 source? I figure it would merge the side and rear speakers or drop the sides.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

It will probably just not output to the speakers for which it wasn't encoded to output to. My computer likes to spread stereo across the front 3 speakers which pisses me off.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Unless you really care about the 7.1, I would just go with a 5.1 setup. I bought a set of speakers/sub from mel, and they have worked great since. Sounds awesome with my 360.

http://search.ebay.com/Logitech-Z-640_W ... 0Q5AQ2d640
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

I would get pioneer.

I've had a cheap pioneer, the pioneer elite's, and now a yamaha. Even though the yamaha is nice, it does not support all the typical encoding (or whatever) that the pioneers do, most notably DTS.

HOw much are you looking at spending, and what features do you want? (hdmi, component, video conversion, etc)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

MKE wrote:I would get pioneer.

I've had a cheap pioneer, the pioneer elite's, and now a yamaha. Even though the yamaha is nice, it does not support all the typical encoding (or whatever) that the pioneers do, most notably DTS.

HOw much are you looking at spending, and what features do you want? (hdmi, component, video conversion, etc)
If it's really nice, something I'd keep for 5 years+, $1500 or less. I don't need HDMI right now but will eventually maybe. Really, as far as the receiver I just want something I can be confident that I can hook up a video player or game console and it will decode/do what it should and then of course nice speakers. I'm more concerned with quality than straight up loudness but that doesn't mean I don't want something my neighbors can hear :twisted:.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

if your serious about that 1500$, i'd personally recommend the pioneer elite reciver with the definitive technology 5.1 setup pro cinema 60. They can be bought on ebay for around 500$ each, the speakers less.

I dont remember the model number of the pioneer reciever i had, but it was the sweetest thing i ever bought (only reason i returned it was i totaled my car, and needed the 1000$) 2 hdmi switch, built in video up-converter, 3 componenent switch, and iirc it was one of the only receivers that supports the "true" 7.1 codecs.

Actually, get the def tec sound package and get 2 tower speakers, then you'll have the 7.1 you want and have a much deeper bass for music and stuff.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I am using a Pioneer 5.1 setup right now. In fact, I pretty much try to buy everything Pioneer. They have some great products that last what seems like forever.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

^^ thats why i bought a pioneer. My parents bought a 5.1 (pro logic 1) pioneer system over 10 years ago now, and it still sounds awesome. Only reason i made them buy a new one and i didnt use it is because it doesn't support anything more then pro logic and no optical inputs.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Onkyo makes some damn good stuff that I fully recommend. I've had an Onkyo receiver for about 4 or 5 years, and it's been amazing. It packs a hell of a punch, and it's been guilty of disturbing the neighbors. If you're looking to build your own setup, this guy doesn't suck. If you're looking to buy a system in a box with speakers and all...I'd suggest This.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

So Pioneer holds up in reviews. Any particular product line or model that's exceptionally good? I think another problem I have is I don't know much about the speakers themselves i.e. what specs must match between the receiver and the speakers (power, impedance, etc).
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:I am using a Pioneer 5.1 setup right now. In fact, I pretty much try to buy everything Pioneer. They have some great products that last what seems like forever.
I can confirm Pioneer is great again. We have a Pioneer LD player which is like 20 years old and performs like new, and a Pioneer receiver which is about the same age and is also up there.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

AuroEdge wrote:So Pioneer holds up in reviews. Any particular product line or model that's exceptionally good? I think another problem I have is I don't know much about the speakers themselves i.e. what specs must match between the receiver and the speakers (power, impedance, etc).
You would probably be best off buying an Home Theater in a box, which usually has a DVD player, receiver, and the six speakers all in one package. It is usually cheaper, you know everything will work great together, and you don't have to worry about the compatibility of things working together. For instance, my Pioneer surround sound system was bought as a Home Theater in a Box, and this is what it contained:

-An 800 watt receiver with 5 stereo, 2 optical digital, and two coaxial digital hookups.
-4 bookshelf speakers, a center speaker, and a sub
-A seperate DVD player that interfaces directly with the receiver and even plays Divx.

All of that in a box for $200. It works great with everything I plug into it and can detect what kind of signal I'm using. I set all of my consoles for the best possible sound settings and the receiver plays it with no problems. It's definitely an option to look into since all of the components are built to work with each other out of the box.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Most of what I use my audio stuff for is listening to music, so I'm still in stereo.

I'm going to hold out on going surround until I can afford to get a good setup. I'm a sucker for sound--7.1 cheap speakers sound no better than 2 cheap speakers to me.

As for help with your question, Denon if you've got the cash, Onkyo if you don't.

Again, I recommend staying in stere-ere-o until you can get the good shit, but to each his or her own.

Crutchfield.com will gladly educate you well on this sort of stuff. You can probably get a better deal elsewhere, though, when it comes time to actually buy.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I have a Pioneer receiver, and I like it.
It's thinking...