Problem after celibrating my DC's lens..

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem after celibrating my DC's lens..

Post by Mattiethomas »

Hey, I did the tutorial Christuserloeser linked to someone on how to celibrate a Dreamcast's lens if it wasnt reading all games.
After finishing, I tested and it wouldn't read any game, I tried CDs even but no luck. I did exactly what the tutorial said and didnt screw with anything, and now it wont read any discs. I put an extra lens part in and it works fine, so something must of gotten messed up somehow. I've checked all around and made sure everything was plugged in right, still no luck afterwards.

Any ideas?

Tutorial
dreamCloud
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: Problem after celibrating my DC's lens..

Post by dreamCloud »

You probably did what I did when I first attempted this. I moved the potentiometer too far. However, this is not the end. People will say you can break it by moving it too far (probably if you really pushed it) but it has safety guides in both directions.

Just keep turning the potentiometer one small teeny tiny bit at a time and then plugging in the power cable and turning on the Dreamcast. Put a GD or CD in the top and see if it loads. You can turn on the 'cast without putting the cover back on by holding down the lid button and then pressing the power button.

Eventually you will move the potentiometer back into a workable speed. Mark where that is with a colored sharpie. Then move it as carefully as possible only around that area until you can get:

1) a fast loading game to run (think Street Fighter 2D fighters)
2) a slower loading game to run (think Shenmue)
3) a CD to play music or a CD-based homebrew game (like Feet of Fury)

Once all 3 run you shouldn't have any problems with any games. Mark that exact spot with a black sharpie marker. Now you know the range of where your GD-ROM will work by moving the potentiometer back and forth. It's a very time consuming process but by the end of it every single game or CD you throw in there should work just fine, and it's healthier for the Dreamcast too because it will be running at the proper speed and not too fast or slow, wearing out the drive.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Problem after celibrating my DC's lens..

Post by Mattiethomas »

Awesome, I'll give it a try. Thanks dreamCloud. :)