Got a new laptop

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Got a new laptop

Post by Roofus »

Circuit City had this on sale for $799, so I picked one up today. I never even booted Windows on it. I burned an Ubuntu disc and installed it straight away. :lol: I like the new 3D interfaces, so I out Beryl on it. The only hard part was getting the sound working; I had to compile the newest ALSA from source. I don't know if the webcam works. I would assume not, since on-board webcams are still relatively new and rare. I don't give a shit about the webcam though (I didn't even know the laptop came with one.) All in all, it makes an excellent machine that I'll probably use for the next 3-5 years. :D
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Re: Got a new laptop

Post by JellyWarrior »

That's pretty good value, a nice buy.

It's based on the original Core series of CPU's it seems but that's no big problem unless you're a demanding user. Linux should run quite well on that.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Roofus wrote:I never even booted Windows on it. I burned an Ubuntu disc and installed it straight away.
Damnit, Roofus! You took away my chance to do the "z0mg windoze sux instal lunix" routine. You're no fun. :nono:
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

did you get any kind of service plan on it? (no offense, but if you want to use it for the next 3-5 years, you'd be stupid not to)

also, does the wireless card work on linux? it's been a really long time since i had linux on my notebook, but the only reason i took it off was because the wireless card wasn't supported.

Even though i just reformatted, i may do it again since i'm dual booting vista/xp on my desktop. And if you have good news about wireless support (also searching on right now) i may dual boot linux and vista 64-bit on my notebook.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Ubuntu 7.04 has wireless support, they now include proprietary drivers in Ubuntu for situations where there is no open source alternative.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

MKE wrote:did you get any kind of service plan on it? (no offense, but if you want to use it for the next 3-5 years, you'd be stupid not to)
Not yet, but I plan to. Circuit City lets you buy one within 30 days.
MKE wrote:also, does the wireless card work on linux? it's been a really long time since i had linux on my notebook, but the only reason i took it off was because the wireless card wasn't supported.
It does; I was surprised by that. Ubuntu complains that it has to use a non-free driver but it does work fine.
MKE wrote:Even though i just reformatted, i may do it again since i'm dual booting vista/xp on my desktop. And if you have good news about wireless support (also searching on right now) i may dual boot linux and vista 64-bit on my notebook.
I say go for it. Ubuntu 7.04 works great on the machine. Aside from the minor problem with the sound, it's worked flawlessly. I still don't know about the webcam, but like I said, I don't give a shit about it. Still, I might try to get it working just for the sake of completeness, Does anyone know of a program that I could test it with?

<edit>JellyWarrior beat me to it. Ubuntu had to use the proprietary driver.</edit>
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

[quote="Roofus"]I still don't know about the webcam, but like I said, I don't give a shit about it. Still, I might try to get it working just for the sake of completeness, Does anyone know of a program that I could test it with?[\quote]
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

and

http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Good luck, hope it works.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

JellyWarrior wrote:Ubuntu 7.04 has wireless support, they now include proprietary drivers in Ubuntu for situations where there is no open source alternative.
correct, ubuntu 7.04 was the first version (ran ubuntu 6.06 and kubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 before on a different lappy) that picked up the wireless on my laptop without having to fuck around with ndiswrapper or other shit. It took a small bit of fiddling with some settings to get it to connect, but it works quite well

now the sucky bit :( somehow the ACPI implementation on my msi s271 kind of sucks, so currently i have to boot linux using acpi=off, and it wont allow for cpu frequency scaling
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Stormwatch wrote:
Roofus wrote:I never even booted Windows on it. I burned an Ubuntu disc and installed it straight away.
Damnit, Roofus! You took away my chance to do the "z0mg windoze sux instal lunix" routine. You're no fun. :nono:
Will Linux make me money? Hell no, most people who use Linux know what they're doing or can use google to find out how to fix something. I demand the world keep using Windows so that I can keep making money!

Just need to get a new laptop with Vista, got a few clients that are looking at new computers and of course they're going to be forced to use Vista.
A few fries short of a happy meal.