The decline of personal videogaming..

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The decline of personal videogaming..

Post by StriderXg2 »

Hello, as most of you may or may not know, im a gamer and have been for nearly 20 years (good god i feel old for only being in my early 20s.) As long as can remember gaming has many times been the main focus of my short life, and its revolved around me in a bigger impact than anything hobby wise. Keyword there, h-o-b-b-y. My first brush with gaming that lasted years was the commodore 64, then the SNES showed me videogaming. I own nearly every system ever made post 1984 game crash, and own nearly 270+ games. But..Until recently, ive caught myself not playing them as much. at all, if any. I usually read every up to date detail on the gaming world, message boards, protos, unreleased, histories of our favorite games and personal gaming "heroes".

But, ive noticed, thats all i do, is read about games and not play them. when i do, its not usually for very long. ive overplayed the mega mans, told mario to go to hell over a million times, metroids, resident evils, killed every demon ever spawned in doom, led pacman to pill popping rehab, got donkey kong in a headlock and made my armpit an afro..ive overplayed every game i own and even tried some new ones but no avail, couldnt get into FF12, Okami, Dead rising, gears of war..im not that depressed..im really into movies for the past few years, and i really really want to get back into gaming. but where to start? There are SOOOOooooo many games out now.. i know there are topics like these. but, what is there to play? i want to play a short, fun, blast em style frenzy ala metal slug or devil may cry.

Any recommendations for a burned out gamer? Im looking for a game where you kick everyones ass and upgrade your weapons and can beat it within 5 or 6 hours. mebbe ratchet and clank? Save my gaming! I dont want this hobby to die.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I've been burnt out for a while, just takes the right kind of game to get me to play again. Crackdown did it for me for a while, until I beat it.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Best advice I can give you is go without it for awhile. Try to find a new activity to fill the void for awhile; you could just need a little bit of a break. All your games will still be there when you get back.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Worms on xbla has made my video gaming habit kick back into full gear.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Strider - I think I might be with you on that. Last game I really played was Twilight Princess and before that I can't really remember. I hate having to start considering myself a casual gamer, but I may be becoming one... at least one with a big interest in everything video games.

- Fuzmeister
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

My advice echoes one from above... give it up for awhile. I've gone through phases where I haven't played a thing for months. The games will always be there when you want to get back to them.

Plus, any "hobby" that you aren't enjoying isn't a hobby for awhile. Try something completely different for awhile.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

When I find myself burnt out, I usually start playing arcade games like Outrun2, Crazy Taxi, Time Crisis etc. for short bursts of fun. Having people over for some multiplayer is also great. Whatever the game is, it usually ends up being fun.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by StriderXg2 »

abydos1000 wrote:My advice echoes one from above... give it up for awhile. I've gone through phases where I haven't played a thing for months. The games will always be there when you want to get back to them.

Plus, any "hobby" that you aren't enjoying isn't a hobby for awhile. Try something completely different for awhile.
Yeah, but ive kind of given it up for a long while besides the occasional spin of an emu or ps2 game, all the while reading up on games..which is 90% of my interest in gaming at the moment. S. Thompson, yeah i tried Twilight Princess even when i used to have a Wii and i found myself rolling my eyes at the typical gameplay that did nothing for me, unlike OOt or Minish Cap..The one thing besides trying the WiiMote on it that was intriguing was laying at the end of the room on my bed with one hand relaxed while the other was moving around the screen. I cant explain it, it was like i was looking at the game play itself, my arms were not together holding the controller like it normally is, traditionally, which is a unique way..er, nevermind.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I kinda went through something similar for awhile. Then I got my 360 and have been fairly content. I have noticed the older I get the pickier I am about a game. However it does seem like a lot of newer games are getting more tedious then fun sometimes. There is also more then enough crap titles being released now it would seem.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by StriderXg2 »

Exactly, and, cutscenes..cutscenes, cutscnes, ctusxns, etc etc etc the only ones done right for me was the Metal Gear Solid series. I skipped Guns for the first 2 hours and actually enjoyed it for what i took it for:a cowboy shootem up with bullet time. The story didnt actually really matter. Anyway to reiterate, does anyone know of a game where you kick everyones ass and upgrade your weapons and can beat it within 5 or 6 hours? man i need a game fix, vacations suck without them.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I don't have the patience for gaming anymore. It seems like when I play a game now, I march straight through to the ending, instead of enjoying everything the game has to offer. The only games I will complete 100% are the games I've played since childhood, those in which I already know where everything is...
It's thinking...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

im in the same exact situation you are in right now strider, reading about video games a lot barely playing. what ive been trying to do is get back to my roots with the nes/snes/n64 with the wii's virtual console when i enjoyed every minute of playing instead of being bored by the games i play now. i really need to find a new hobby, but what else is there that can take up time?
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by StriderXg2 »

movies. or pr0no.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sounds like a Action RPG is what your looking at but I don't know of any that can be beaten that quickly. That Castlevania game released on 360 a couple days ago kinda sounds like what your looking for though minus the complete time. You pretty much go around kicking ass getting upgrades and leveling up. Just about always within 5 or 10 minutes of a save point as well. Im rather happy with it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

UMMMM... One of the newer Gauntlet games?
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'd try getting a time machine.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I feel in how strider is feeling. Games are boring now compared in how they were in the 16 bit days. Games today just lack the imagination that the 16 bitters. There are many people who disagree but fuck em. When I play a 16 bit title its fun and exciting. God of war, Halo,Doom 3 all of these new game are complete and utter garbage compared to the older games and generation. I have a wii and I believe its fun and give me more joy then the other 2 systems. However my NES and SNES gets booted up more because the games on the systems are fun and has a lot of imagination involved.if the world had 16 bit forever, I'd be happy but people are stale and have to like "newer" things and that is all fine but 8/16 bit will always be better in my heart.
Have you played dreamcast today?
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by StriderXg2 »

Veggita2099 wrote:Sounds like a Action RPG is what your looking at but I don't know of any that can be beaten that quickly. That Castlevania game released on 360 a couple days ago kinda sounds like what your looking for though minus the complete time. You pretty much go around kicking ass getting upgrades and leveling up. Just about always within 5 or 10 minutes of a save point as well. Im rather happy with it.
Yeah, that describes it pretty well, i loved that game. I almost beat it...got to the last 3 bosses and well..life got in the way. i'll pick it up again, mebbe when the PSP port is out. Oddly, DC4Life, i actually played and beat Doom3 and its expansion on the Xbox. Maybe im just bitter about gaming these days like the angry game nerd character. :|
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Veggita2099 wrote:That Castlevania game released on 360 [...] always within 5 or 10 minutes of a save point as well.
I daresay that the only time you'd be more than 10 minutes away from a save point would be in the middle of fighting Galamoth.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Dreamcast4life wrote: God of war, Halo,Doom 3 all of these new game are complete and utter garbage compared to the older games and generation.
I dunno. I completely agree about Halo and Doom 3 but not so much about God of War. GoW was the game that got me excited about action games again. It wasn't overrun with cutscenes, it had logical puzzles that weren't frustrating, its save points weren't spread far apart so you could play in short bursts, it wasn't excessively long (only about 8 hours), and yet it was still incredibly challenging. I think God of War is a classic. I think it will be just as playable in ten years as it is now. I can't speak for GoW2, as I haven't played it.