eBay troubles.... any recommendations?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

eBay troubles.... any recommendations?

Post by |darc| »

Okay, so, a few weeks ago I bought a Dreamcast BBA on eBay for $145 shipped. To pay for it, I sold my Gamecube Component cable, my MIDI keyboard, and my Dreamcast Coder's Cable on eBay. This is the first time I'm selling stuff on eBay.

A day or two after the auction ended, the keyboard purchaser, who has 100+ positive feedback, asked when the keyboard was going to be shipped. Because I don't have a premium PayPal account and he paid via eCheck, it took a few days for the payment to clear. I told him this, and he messages me back with blah blah "I wouldn't have bought it if I would've known." Whatever, dick.

So anyway, once his eCheck clears, I make a shipping label for his package and for the Gamecube component cables package. I get shipping insurance on it. Then it turns out I can't make it to the post office, and a few days go by and I have to eat the shipping costs on the now-void shipping labels and pay to resend it. This time I don't get insurance because I try to save on the shipping. I send it along with the two other packages (Gamecube Component cable and DC Coder's cable).

That was a week ago. The Gamecube component cable and the DC Coder's cable have arrived at their destinations and their tracking numbers reflect this... but the keyboard's tracking number still says the Post Office hasn't received the package... and now the buyer is threatening to report me to eBay. I don't know what the hell I can do.

What should I do in this situation?
It's thinking...
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zero »

To me it seems like the only thing you can do is ring the post office and find out what the story is from them.

I mean lets face it here i can understand from the guys point of view and yours,
he most likely thinks he is getting ripped off our something.
So you can also try contacting him and explain that your going to try find out whats going on from the post office, and that you have already send him his item.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

zero wrote:To me it seems like the only thing you can do is ring the post office and find out what the story is from them.

I mean lets face it here i can understand from the guys point of view and yours,
he most likely thinks he is getting ripped off our something.
So you can also try contacting him and explain that your going to try find out whats going on from the post office, and that you have already send him his item.
Yeah, he just responded to my message and said to do that. The post office is closed tonight, but I'll go over there tomorrow and see what's going on...
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Just as a data point, it's been my experience that the USPS tracking system sucks.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Just as a data point, it's been my experience that the USPS tracking system sucks.
It's less a tracking system and more "oh we're supposed to get a package, we will let you know when it's in the system", then once it's delivered it says it was delivered, usually in that order of info.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: eBay troubles.... any recommendations?

Post by SlammedNiss »

|darc| wrote: So anyway, once his eCheck clears, I make a shipping label for his package and for the Gamecube component cables package. I get shipping insurance on it. Then it turns out I can't make it to the post office, and a few days go by and I have to eat the shipping costs on the now-void shipping labels and pay to resend it. This time I don't get insurance because I try to save on the shipping. I send it along with the two other packages (Gamecube Component cable and DC Coder's cable).

What should I do in this situation?
Do shipping labels expire if you don't use them within a couple days? I've printed several via Paypal checkout, and sometimes wait 3-4 days after I've printed them before they make it to the post office.

Also, as stated before, don't misake their Delivery Confirmation for a true tracking service. It merely protects you, as a seller, to confirm the pkg. has indeed been received by the buyer.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

They expire after more than 20 days less than 40. I've forgotten the actual number but they require it not have any activity if you want a refund.

If the buyer didn't pay for insurance you're in the clear. If they did and you didn't pay for it be prepped to pay up. I'd also suggest putting all your money in your bank account, removing all references from it on your paypal account then telling your bank to deny all withdrawls from paypal if your situation is the former (meaning they didn't pay and THEY, not you, took the risk the item would never arrive). Course this will make you look bad but it is not your fault it didn't get delivered.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I had some woman get all uppity with me and she filed a report with paypal. I told the woman to wait, I said if she didn't recieve maybe it would be returned to sender. She says "Well one of us would have recieved it by now, I'm filing a complaint. Thanks." Well guess what the next day I recieve a package marked return to sender "Unclaimed" I emailed her a picture of the box and told her I'd either refund her money minus shipping or ship it again at her expense. I've never heard from her since then.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Honestly, if you sell stuff on ebay, save your receipts for what you paid in postage. You can use it to cover your rear. Stuff happens. The postal service isn't perfect. However, as mentioned earlier, delivery confirmation pretty much confirms that you brought it to them. The best thing to do with regards to shipping items is to let the customer choose what they are willing to pay for as far as services are concerned. If I offer insurance or delivery confirmation; and they don't spring for it and something happens, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as I performed due diligence in giving them a choice and informing them of the potential consequences if they choose to go "on the cheap." If you did the right thing, just show your proof and save the originals for your records.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
007Cheater
Founder and Ex-Admin
Founder and Ex-Admin

Post by 007Cheater »

How much did you sell the keyboard for? You said you paid insurance for it, file a claim, refund the guys money have him leave positive feedback. I have 600+ positive feedback and 100%
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

007Cheater wrote:How much did you sell the keyboard for? You said you paid insurance for it, file a claim, refund the guys money have him leave positive feedback. I have 600+ positive feedback and 100%
Read again. I didn't have insurance.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I just checked the tracking number and it was delivered. Phew!
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

|darc| wrote:I just checked the tracking number and it was delivered. Phew!
Be sure to follow through, or you'll get negative because it took ages.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

butters wrote:
|darc| wrote:I just checked the tracking number and it was delivered. Phew!
Be sure to follow through, or you'll get negative because it took ages.
He already messaged me and said he got it, and left positive feedback (and I left him positive, too). :)
It's thinking...
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Everyones so damn worried about feedback on ebay they bidders never do what they should do. If you someone pays for something instantly you should leave them positive feedback instantly. If it takes it forever to get there they are entitled to give you negitive feedback even if they get there item.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RMD wrote:Everyones so damn worried about feedback on ebay they bidders never do what they should do. If you someone pays for something instantly you should leave them positive feedback instantly. If it takes it forever to get there they are entitled to give you negitive feedback even if they get there item.
Why? It's not their fault that the item took forever to get there.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

RMD wrote:Everyones so damn worried about feedback on ebay they bidders never do what they should do. If you someone pays for something instantly you should leave them positive feedback instantly. If it takes it forever to get there they are entitled to give you negitive feedback even if they get there item.

Uh, no? Just because they paid doesn't mean their part of the deal is over. You still have to deal with complaints that they might have. What if they leave you negative feedback because they never understood the auction, and you already left them positive feedback? Once they receive the package and decide that all is good, then the relationship is finally over and they signal this by leaving feedback, after which you leave feedback.
It's thinking...
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

|darc| wrote:

Uh, no? Just because they paid doesn't mean their part of the deal is over. You still have to deal with complaints that they might have. What if they leave you negative feedback because they never understood the auction, and you already left them positive feedback? Once they receive the package and decide that all is good, then the relationship is finally over and they signal this by leaving feedback, after which you leave feedback.
Well put Darc. I was selling imitation Devastator sets last summer on ebay. The description said they weren't the real thing, and I even had a large pic that showed EXACTLY what was being bid on. When they got it, they messaged me saying I had ripped them off. They wanted me to cover return shipping to myself on top of refunding their money. I told them to get bent.

Luckily, I was on my honeymoon when this all took place, or else I would have already left them positive feedback, as that's the way I used to do it. Anyways, we exchanged negative feedbacks, and I now wait until the customer has received their item and are happy with the transaction before I post feedback.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

The transaction isn't complete until the item is received. The buyer could turn out to be an asshole who gives you negative feedback for no reason.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Most sellers use feedback as revenge for themselves sucking. My mom left some bad feedback due to the fact it took 2 weeks for 1 item to take forever to get here, the service was badly automated and bypassed most of ebays normal functions (still used paypal but not the same email address or some bullshit). They gave it back for whatever reason despite jumping through their hoops.
A few fries short of a happy meal.