How is a PAL console display image on an NTSC TV?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How is a PAL console display image on an NTSC TV?

Post by neoak »

I'm curious. Would it work? I want to use an NTSC title on a PAL DC with a NTSC TV.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Should be fine. Any 60Hz game I've tried on a 60Hz compatible tv on my pal console works fine.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: How is a PAL console display image on an NTSC TV?

Post by BlackAura »

neoak wrote:I'm curious. Would it work? I want to use an NTSC title on a PAL DC with a NTSC TV.
No, that won't work. A PAL DC does not output NTSC - it outputs either PAL or PAL60. An NTSC TV can not deal with either. Most likely, it'll display in black and white.

It will work on a PAL TV though.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Ah my bad. Thanks for clarifying that BA, I should've been specific that my tv is a PAL one that's capable of 60Hz, NOT an NTSC tv.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

most TV's these days can output both formats anyway.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

This should do it:
http://sewelldirect.com/mayflash-pal-to ... verter.asp

The "x" factors would be:
Can the PAL DC read the NTSC disk? anyone's opinion here??
And, the site says:
Only works on the NTSC 50Hz compatible TV, auto sync TV or NTSC TV with a V-hold button
Only works with PAL regions B,D,I,G, and H

If 'true' to all above, you're in business!!!
edugabo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by edugabo »

PAL CONSOLE natively output is PAL 50 hz. and PAL color channel (Example the menu without disc), the game determines 50 or 60 hz after run, so NTSC game on PAL console = GAME in PAL 60, NOT exacttly NTSC, the problem might be Color channel, you can experiment game in Black and white, or a strange colored game like Orange Blur depending your TV. There is a solution if you modify your console Color channel described here:
viewtopic.php?t=89863
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I've done this with my dev box (since you can set the region to anything). It's kind of interesting to play Rez in b&w. It reminds me of the first day I got my DC and the only TV my dad had that I could hook it up to was an old black and white one. So I played the first 4 or 5 dungeons of Evolution 2 in black and white =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

put it this way.
Virtually all PAL TV supports NTSC signal but pretty much majority of NTSC TV do not support PAL signal.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

That is interesting. However, I heard that the PAL released Dreamcast games had both NTSC and PAL versions on the disc. Is that correct? I've had no problems playing Head Hunter and Rez on my US Dreamcast using my NTSC tv.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Sultan of Saturn wrote:That is interesting. However, I heard that the PAL released Dreamcast games had both NTSC and PAL versions on the disc. Is that correct? I've had no problems playing Head Hunter and Rez on my US Dreamcast using my NTSC tv.
The vast majority of Dreamcast releases in PAL regions also featured 60Hz versions of the game, which will output as ordinary NTSC on an American/Japanese console.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

One thing I've always wondered about is whether or not 60Hz PAL also makes use of the higher native resolution of PAL or if it just stretches things. Anyone who has some insight on this?

Ever since Dreamcast I've stayed away from games featuring only PAL50, it's slow, the image flashes and it's got black borders. It's the reason for me for getting the US versions of the big two RPGs on the DC.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Cid Highwind wrote:One thing I've always wondered about is whether or not 60Hz PAL also makes use of the higher native resolution of PAL or if it just stretches things. Anyone who has some insight on this?
PAL60 uses the resolution and frame rate of NTSC, but the PAL colour system.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Red Ronin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Red Ronin »

When I have played PAL games, they usually are "pushed" to the right side of the NTSC screen, with a narrow black bar on the left side of a 4:3 display... Beyond that, they seem to show just fine.
)()(

Red Ronin