I just won a BBA!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

I just won a BBA!

Post by |darc| »

$132.50 shipped, used, out of box, with the Dream Passport disk. Only problem: I don't have any money. $0.00.. I do have 2 eBay auctions going though, they end in 3 days and I should have the money then, hopefully the seller lets me wait until then to pay.
It's thinking...
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JellyWarrior »

is a BBA a Broad Band Adapter?
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

JellyWarrior wrote:is a BBA a Broad Band Adapter?
Yep
It's thinking...
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge

Post by ben15dc »

Nice job.. I been trying to find one of them damn things too.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Ive got one on my dreamcast back in the states.... Just collecting dust :cry: One of these days im going to hit up a few DC auctions on Ebay for PAL stuff, and have my BBA to sent me.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Komid wrote:Ive got one on my dreamcast back in the states.... Just collecting dust :cry: One of these days im going to hit up a few DC auctions on Ebay for PAL stuff, and have my BBA to sent me.
i call dibs on this one if you ever thing about selling it :P
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

neoak wrote:
Komid wrote:Ive got one on my dreamcast back in the states.... Just collecting dust :cry: One of these days im going to hit up a few DC auctions on Ebay for PAL stuff, and have my BBA to sent me.
i call dibs on this one if you ever thing about selling it :P

That will be a cold day in hell my friend.. :twisted:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hey, congrats Darc :) I still need to buy me one too one of these days.
Insane homebrew collector.
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

Nice one!

I wouldn't part with mine which is in black... ^__^
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

Congrats. :p
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

Good luck, Darc.:D

Question tho - besides game development, Quake and Unreal, what would you use the BBA for? $130+ seems like an awful lot to spend on hobby programming or reducing lag in an older FPS...
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Mr. Jones wrote:Good luck, Darc.:D

Question tho - besides game development, Quake and Unreal, what would you use the BBA for? $130+ seems like an awful lot to spend on hobby programming or reducing lag in an older FPS...
I image it will only grow in value.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DC's Unreal Tournament isn't online anymore.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Mr. Jones wrote:Good luck, Darc.:D

Well, for one, I don't have dialup and the only phone line we have in the house is my father's fax line that I couldn't use for gaming. So if I wanted to do anything related to an internet connection at all, I would need the BBA. The costs of maintaining a phone line and ISP would certainly easily exceed the costs of a BBA and would be much more of a pain in the ass to use.

As stagg said, I can only imagine that these things will increase in price. On eBay there are still sellers getting rid of their excess supply of BBAs. As these things find their way from people trying to get rid of them to hobbyist's hands, I can imagine it will become hard to find one period, nevermind getting one cheap.

I think years from now, when I have an actual steady source of income, if my interest in the Dreamcast never wanes (as it hasn't for over 6 years or nearly one-third of my life), I would look back and think myself foolish for not spending a "mere $130" on such a prized accessory.
It's thinking...
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Mr. Jones wrote:Question tho - besides game development, Quake and Unreal, what would you use the BBA for? $130+ seems like an awful lot to spend on hobby programming or reducing lag in an older FPS...
I payed about that much for my BBA around a year ago. While I admit that I played 250 hours of online PSO since I got it, my decision to get one was entirely based on devving for the DC.

I've never heard of anybody who regretted purchasing one for that reason. It really does make a HUGE difference. Eventually your projects can take several minutes to send with a coder's cable. If you're like me, and you screw up a lot while programming, this is completely unacceptable. The BBA is instant. I don't even send files like music and textures to the DC anymore, because it's fast enough to just access them directly from my hard drive.

If DC devving is a hobby that you plan to pursue, your purchase of a BBA is so totally worth it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Guess where I'm posting from! :D :D :!:
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

A warezy browser?
Red Ronin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Red Ronin »

Congratulations, indeed! If there are two things that broke my heart before Sega announced the death of the Dreamcast, they were: 1) The cancellation of Propeller Arena and 2) the nigh nonexistent release of the broadband adapter. Even at a hundred bucks each, I prolly woulda got at least two of them. I'm gonna have to try setting up the DC-to-PC broadband sharing thingie... That's something I have never been able to get to work on Windows XP. I had managed to get it working on my old Win95b machine, but that was ages ago. I hope that I can get it going again, though I expect it will take some time.
)()(

Red Ronin
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Red Ronin wrote:Congratulations, indeed! If there are two things that broke my heart before Sega announced the death of the Dreamcast, they were: 1) The cancellation of Propeller Arena and 2) the nigh nonexistent release of the broadband adapter. Even at a hundred bucks each, I prolly woulda got at least two of them. I'm gonna have to try setting up the DC-to-PC broadband sharing thingie... That's something I have never been able to get to work on Windows XP. I had managed to get it working on my old Win95b machine, but that was ages ago. I hope that I can get it going again, though I expect it will take some time.
)()(

Red Ronin
I don't think anyone's been able to get it to work on XP. I think you need Win98.
It's thinking...
Red Ronin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Red Ronin »

Michael K Ter Louw came up with a method, but it is very, very specific... You can check it out here:

PC-Dreamcast Server - Consolevision, "Have you ever wanted to share your PC's internet connection with your Dreamcast? Maybe you want to be able to use both at the same time. Or maybe you have a broadband connection to your PC and want to let your Dreamcast share it, but don't want to spend money on the DC Broadband Adapter. There are many good reasons to set up a Dreamcast server on your PC, but it's not necessarily an easy thing to do. This guide is here to help you get everything set up."

It was quite a bit easier to do on Win95 or Win98. WinXP requires some fiddling with the registry, lucky timing and a bit of witchcraft to get this working... I actually used a slightly different method than he outlines in his FAQ though. I mostly just ran a web server on my PC with my own HTML pages that showed graphics I created for use in Jet Grind Radio. I used the DreamKey web browser that was bundled with Phantasy Star Online to save the graphics to a VMU. I suspect I may have to modify his methodology to get it to work this time as well. But the FAQ is a great starting point.

If I can get it working properly, I won't have to worry about tying up the phone line in the house (or spend time cussing out Time Warner because their dialup service doesn't work). Also, since I've started playing JGR again, I'll be able to hit up all of Tokyo-To in grand style. You can see some of the tags I've been working on HERE.
)()(

Red Ronin