DS Lite

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DS Lite

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Through a series of rather convoluted events beginning sometime last year at my old job and ending earlier this month at the game store, I have somewhat unexpectedly found myself in possession of a black DS Lite.

I've had it lying around for a while now, but I only just got around to taking it out of the box tonight. Here's what I think so far.

The Screens
Oh my GOD. I honestly don't think I'll be able to go back. There's some good and some bad, but when I pull out my launch model DS, the screens look so pale and murky in comparison that I don't think I'll ever be able to look at them the same way again. When I first tried out a couple games on the Lite, I was struck by the vibrance...it almost seems as if the colors are *too* saturated. However, it also gives a much cleaner picture than the DS, and that makes all the difference in the world. Sadly, there is a dead pixel on the touchscreen right out of the box, so I'm going to have to call Nintendo for a replacement :/.

The Sound
My DS was better. The same thing has been true with every Nintendo handheld: version 2 has better battery life, a smaller & sleeker form factor, a better screen...and crappier speakers. It's not quite as loud, and the high frequencies are a little more muffled-sounding. Still fine with headphones, though.

The Appearance
Much, MUCH better than the DS. It's very similar to when my friend Sean bought a GBA SP; I'm used to the original, and I can't get over how *small* it is. It also folds up much more neatly, which is nice because I carry my DS around in my bag a lot. With the old model, there's a gap, and dust and grit and such sometimes gets in between the screens. I know it's an overused comparison, but this really does look like the kind of thing Apple would put out. (For the record, though--I have much more faith in the build quality of a DS than I do in that of an iPod :P). Unfortunately, it is also a MAJOR fingerprint magnet. I've only used it for about two hours to play some Castlevania, and already it's covered in smudges.

The Feel
I didn't think I'd like it as much, especially since there's more motion in the D-pad. It took a little bit of adjusting, but it's actually much more comfortable overall. It doesn't fit my hands as snugly as the old DS, but neither does it have the sharp edges or the hand-cramping issues that come from a combination of bad angles and short, tough buttons. And, while it's just a small change, the addition of the larger stylus is a MAJOR boon. In games like Feel the Magic and Elite Beat Agents, the old DS stylus felt really small and flimsy.

...I am still disappointed in two things (though I knew about them already). The fact that they changed the power connector irks me, because there's really no reason for it except to make people re-buy accessories. It also bothers me that--for such an otherwise sleek little device--they couldn't manage to get a full depth GBA slot in there. I have about 30 GBA games, and I use them fairly frequently. I tend to keep either Monkey Ball Jr. or Worms: World Party in my GBA slot at all times, so I can play with a friend if the situation arises. I don't think I'll be doing that with the Lite.

So that's that. It's nice to have the new system, which I ended up buying through a sort of fluke. I'm not sure it was worth an additional $130 just for those improvements, but it is still *markedly* better than the original incarnation. Everything about it is sleeker, more thoughtfully put together, and more physically comfortable. My only gripes are the fingerprints, the power connector, and the aesthetics of the GBA slot...that's really not bad. And given my usage patterns, the additional battery life alone is *almost* justification enough.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

so should I get a DS Lite?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

impetus wrote:so should I get a DS Lite?
You're getting one anyway, so it doesn't matter :P
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...As a follow-up to the color saturation and sound filtering:

I think I figured out why they did that. While the new, crisper screen with extra-bright colors may draw fresh attention to the DS' 3D limitations, it makes GBA games look *incredible*. I went through about half my GBA library, and it all looks *MUCH* better than it did on either the GBA SP or the DS. The high-frequency filtering also helps disguise the low quality of GBA sound samples.

GBA games both looked and sounded rather washed out on the original-model DS. On the DS Lite, they actually look and sound more sharp than they did on their native hardware. It's just too bad that they stick out in front :-/

So that's that.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: DS Lite

Post by pavelbure »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Sadly, there is a dead pixel on the touchscreen right out of the box, so I'm going to have to call Nintendo for a replacement :/.
mine has one also. i had to try and exchange about 4 black ds lites until i got the one that didnt have a little defect. my main problem was the touch screen. the plastic covering on it would dimple when pressed, ever so slightly. it got annoying. my white ds lite was fine. i'll deal with a dead pixel i hardly ever notice over that awful dimple.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Mine has a stuck pixel aswell. At first I was pissed, but I learned to deal with it and I don't notice it much anymore. It might just go away, I haven't used my new Ds much though (I've been busy).

The only thing I don't like about the feel of the DS Lite is that it feels slippery in my hands. This is probably because of all the gloss they use, but I'm really scared of dropping it because of the slippery feeling.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I just bought a black DS Lite last week and I gotta say I agree with Fiddler. The new screens are really nice, you can actually notice that the graphics look a lot better on the ported games like Mario 64 on N64 and Resident Evil on PSX.

I was also fortunate to not have a single dead pixel yet. :P
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

The ds lite looks much better in the black; its very sexy. |/|
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Unfortunately, it is also a MAJOR fingerprint magnet. I've only used it for about two hours to play some Castlevania, and already it's covered in smudges.
If that's really bothering you and you're feeling brave enough, you can try and buff it up with a nail file:

Before:

After:

Some guy tried it out in this thread on another forum. For some reason the pictures aren't showing up in the thread right now (maybe will do later?), but there were some pics which looked like it would end up being a total disaster. Suprisingly it turned out quite well. The reactions are hilarious :lol:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Joestar wrote:For some reason the pictures aren't showing up in the thread right now (maybe will do later?)
That guy wrote:Note: Sometimes my ISP drops file hosting temporarily, so be patient if the pictures aren't showing for you.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Caboose wrote:Mine has a stuck pixel aswell. At first I was pissed, but I learned to deal with it and I don't notice it much anymore. It might just go away, I haven't used my new Ds much though (I've been busy).
Yeah...It wouldn't bother me if it were a dead (off) pixel, but it's stuck on red. Since I play a lot of games dealing with dark environments (Castlevania, Metroid, etc.) having that bright red point in the middle of a field of black can be kind of distracting.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Caboose wrote:Mine has a stuck pixel aswell. At first I was pissed, but I learned to deal with it and I don't notice it much anymore. It might just go away, I haven't used my new Ds much though (I've been busy).
Yeah...It wouldn't bother me if it were a dead (off) pixel, but it's stuck on red. Since I play a lot of games dealing with dark environments (Castlevania, Metroid, etc.) having that bright red point in the middle of a field of black can be kind of distracting.
Mine too :lol:

I'd return mine, but it kinda came from hong kong, so it would be a lot of trouble just to get one that might have another dead pixel, the shipping costs would be too much.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Well if its a lit pixel it SHOULD go back to normal over time. The only ones that don't go back are dead pixels. Now, if it is a lit one, it will take months to change, so if you can exchange it. :lol:
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Wow, the DS looks really nice buffed!