how do I burn .BIN DC images?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
atticusxen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how do I burn .BIN DC images?

Post by atticusxen »

I have tried numerous programs, and I still cannot seem to get .BIN dreamcast games to work. Everytime I use CDRWIN, or Alcohol 120%, it burns it as an audio CD for some reason, I am not sure why. Everytime I pop it in my dreamcast, it brings it up as an audio cd, and it is just a bunch of fuzz sound when you hit play. Please help if you can. Sorry if this is not in the right section to post this.

-Atticusxen
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

atticusxen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by atticusxen »

so do I just burn the .BINs with Alcohol 120%? Someone said something about burn it in TAO mode in Alcohol 120%, or do I just leave the settings as is?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Weren't you earlier at #dcemu asking about warez?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I don't remember any site that distributes images in .bin format. What exactly are you trying to burn?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
atticusxen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by atticusxen »

To: Juan - no. I was not asking about warez. I am not sure where you derived that from.

To: Fragger - It is for some reason in .BIN format, and I am trying to burn it every which way, and it always comes out as an audio cd when I put it in the dreamcast. It comes with a .cue and all, but I am not sure which prog I should use to burn it.

thanks, atticus
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

CUE and BIN eh? Sounds fishy to me. Want to be precise what game/program you're trying to burn?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

How about model year and region number. Contrary to what some may believe, not dreamcasts run cdr's. They will show as audio cds on the dreamcast.

Most legit emu and home brew discs are prepared for discjuggler. This is not *.cue/*.bin which is most likely alcohol 120%. *.nrg is Nero and *cdi is discjuggler. DCemu.co.uk is a great source for your homebrew and emu collection. Bootdreams is a great utility to get these discs made and bootable for the dreamcast.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If you tell us exactly what it is you are trying to burn, we could perhaps point you to a better place to download the file that would be in a friendlier format than a .bin file.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

There is no real friendly format. Each one has its own quirks. Each cd or dvd burner also plays a factor in the success rate. Also some cd brands are better than others, and no cdrw will work without painfull modifications to the dreamcast.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

There is no real friendly format. Each one has its own quirks.
Perhaps, but how many releases in the DC Homebrew scene are actually in CUE and BIN? I would assume little to none. Anything would be friendlier to him at the moment than what he already has.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

There's really not many CD burners that can't burn CD images with Dreamcast's standard format. Older drives, like drives that have a max speed of like 8x most likely wouldn't even have problems.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Generally speaking, if the Dreamcast is at fault, it's because it has an updated BIOS that won't allow booting from CDs. If the Dreamcase does allow booting from CDs, then it's probably just a bad burn. Burning at lower speed usually helps.

CUE + BIN images are not, and can not be self booting. They're also, more likely than not, warez. Homebrew is typically distributed as either CDI images, or plain files.