getting a car for my graduation present, but what one?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

getting a car for my graduation present, but what one?

Post by MKE »

ok, i b graduatin this year, and my gma usually spends around 2-3k on us (my one sister got a 2180$ laptop, who went to a comunity college and then dropped out, my oldest sister got a 3,300$ laptop "combo" from dell, and she's goin to fredonia now...

i have my laptop already that i bought, it's 2 years old, but it's still good (amd 2500, 512mb ram, 60 gig hdd, integrated wireless "super" g card) and it runs all of the stuff i need it to (mostly photoshop and the autodesk software- it actually runs them really good)

well, i have some money, and a bunch of stuff i can sell to make up for the loss...so im going to say i have a 4000 limit...

i want a good reliable car that's gonna last more then 150,000 miles, and i want it to look sporty....(and it has to be a manual...)

what are my options? ive been looking at a mitsubishi eclipse...but i will have to drive that from WNY to the art institue in colorado....
Last edited by MKE on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Hondas last forever.
Last edited by bizzle on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calvera
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Calvera »

Dodge Avenger
Calvera
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Calvera »

Dodge Avenger

Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Ahh! Why does it keep logging me in as Calvera?!

Anyways, yeah you should buy a Dodge Avenger.

arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

xlene is right, hondas last forever. You can find a cool looking honda for 4k+. I rented a dodge avenger last time I drove to vegas and it sucked ass. Just my opinion though.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Honda Civic. Late 90's model. Decent, reliable, and can get up to 35 miles per gallon.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

You really can't go wrong with a Civic from the 90's. But please, for the love of God, resist the urge to rice it up
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

You're asking a lot for only having a $4000 limit. But Honda does come well recommended. They are reliable, can be made to look sporty and are both inexpensive and economical. A Civic would be your best bet, but expect to see some high mileage on one for $4000 or less.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

well that's why ive been looking at a ecipse...
i know a few people that own them and they have over 218000 miles on them, and they all shift and run fine (with the usuall maintenance of course), there cheap- you can find them for 2500-3500 for a late 90's turbo....and they dont look to bad...

and they all average 27 city and 35 hw, so that's double what im getting now in my awd van...

but the dodge avenger is one i havent looked at yet.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

you can get a nice 94-95 civic for less than 4k, so you will still have cash to throw at it for stereo or repair. Always have a local mechanic you trust look at a used car before you buy it though.

Check cars.com
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

Hondas or Toyotas are your best bet.

My fiance picked up a 2000 Chevy Prizm recently. They're nothing but a rebadged Toyota Corolla, and it goes for much less because of the chevy nameplate.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I have a '97 Avenger ES, which is the V6 version of it.

What happened with this car, is that Mitsubishi made the engine and innards for it, while Dodge designed the body and suspension for it. So you're getting the same engine/tranny that would be in the Eclipse (well manufactured by the same company), and I have to say the suspension is wonderful. The 17" low profile stock rims handle very nicely, but acceleration is lacking. I am very, very pleased with my car... black with black tinted windows, looks pretty nice.

And for you guys that think that I "riced" it up with the tinted windows, I never make any claims my car is fast, I don't have a ricer cannon on it, I just love the all black look with the stock rims, looks pretty good.

If you're going for reliability or just transportation, go for a Honda/Toyota/Nissan or whatnot, but you really wouldn't be getting anything too sporty or powerful (depends on what you want).

Good luck!
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

arrowhead wrote: I rented a dodge avenger last time I drove to vegas and it sucked ass. Just my opinion though.
The last year they made them was the year 2000, then the Stratus line took the car over (the Stratus Coupe is what it is essentially, but is lacking a little). Rental cars usually don't have 4+ year old cars... was it a Stratus? Only saying that because Dodge makes the entire car, while the 'venge was made by Dodge and Mitsu combined.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

no, it was an avenger. The last time I drove to vegas was 2001. I have been flying the last couple of times.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

milfzor wrote:i had an 88 cutless cierra
I have a '93 that's never been out in winter and only had 90,000 miles on it. Not sporty, but it's a good car.
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

Get a first gen Legend. Mine has about 210k and running strong, and many more have many more miles than I do!
/WhtCastle
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I know you want something sporty, but my '87 Volvo Tank GLE is approaching 280k and it hasn't had any serious problems in it's lifetime.

I'd go for a Civic though, from what I hear they are just about what you're looking for.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.