Possible to make a DC HDD?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Possible to make a DC HDD?

Post by q_006 »

Hello.
I remember there being a rumor about the 250MB Zip Drive being used to be a DC HDD. Of course, this never came to fruition. I was wondering however if anyone made a kit or cable that actually allowed it to happen. If yes, does it seem feasible to mass produce? If no, what would be the difficulties?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Wasn't there a recent and long discussion about this?
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

was there?
i haven't been on the boards in awhile.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Check the hardware/mod forum.
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

just use search in hardware mod and repair. You will find a lot, but heres my basic rundown.

People made an isa slot, which isnt to bad but mass production would cost too much, i beleive one certain pic chip was used and the programmer alone cost 800 dollars. IDE (what atapi cds, hdd and dvds run on) is a modified form of ISA. So they ended up makeing a HDD, that could be written to. But it had some insanley low transfer rate, couldnt be booted from needed its own power supply and had drivers that were not fully utilized. All this was made from the extension slot that the modem comes out of,

Mass production would be a waste unless someone got it to have faster transfer rates.

This all being said i think the real place to look for adding new hardware is on the actual GD-Rom daughter board it is scsi, has unused plugs right on the board and has mostly been overlooked for this sort of thing.
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*