I hooked a second monitor up to my computer

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I hooked a second monitor up to my computer

Post by Roofus »

It's neat. Anyone else do this?
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I had one running for about a week, but then it got boring. Really don't see much use to it. I might use it again if I start making music again. I also have a 3rd monitor downstairs, but I don't know if I have enough space. :D
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

I've been running with two monitors for a while now. I find it very handy.. having a document open on one screen, and an application up on the other, etc.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

im still waiting on a friend of ours to finish the one wall in our dining room so i can move my mom's desk over and use that for the computer cuz this desk now barely has enough room for a single monitor.

but yeah, lots of convenience in having 2 monitors. at one point when i was a daily flight simmer, i had my brothers 13" tv hooked up and had the ingame gps run on the tv while i kept the main screen clear for the windscreen/panel. very nice.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've had two computers next to each other. One my PC, and the other my eMac, with Synergy installed on them so they act just like they were one same computer. I'd use one for AIM and IRC and a few small things and the PC for heavier apps.
Last edited by |darc| on Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's thinking...
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

|darc| wrote:I've had two computers next to each other. One my PC, and the other my eMac, with Synergy installed on them so they act just like they were one same computer. I'd use one for AIM and IRC and a few small things and the PC for heavier apps.
I did that for a while.. I had Windows and Linux running on two seperate PCs, it was cool, as you said, you could run 'heavy' apps on one, and the other wouldn't get bogged down. Only problem was, I didn't use the second machine enough to warrant the extra space/power it used up ;)
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

At work I have four monitors hooked up to my computer.

Three are on the desk and one is on a pole above the middle one in the bottom row.

Code: Select all

[]
[][][]
I use the left one for the internet, bottom middle for main dispatch, top middle for reservations, and the right one for GPS.

When I had two monitors hooked up, I didn't think having four would help that much, but they really do.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

yep. multiple monitors rock. too bad i cant use the onboard video at the same time or id be able to use 3 monitors (technically 4. one being a tv and it would have to clone another monitor) here. meh, 2 should be good.

one of the main reasons why i have really been pushing to get a dual monitor setup going is because when i was doing the premiere issue of my sims magazine, i was always having trouble copying and pasting text into photoshop. it wouldnt paste anything. so i was constantly flipping back and forth between ms word and photoshop and typing it all by hand. absolutely no fun.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I've been using dual monitors for about 5 years now. I simply cannot use any Adobe products without having two monitors.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

No, but I'm going to try it out now that you mention it.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

So far I think the neatest thing is being able to have two copies of Firefox running at once. Also, I use Remote Desktop a fair amount and being able to run that on the second screen is cool.

I only wish that the task bar extended onto the second screen.

Also, I keep missing the Close button. :P
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

well, i dont run dual monitor at home or at work, but i sure see the use

while at home i mostly have winamp, firefox and msn open, at work my taskbar holds more then 6 apps all the time, alternating between outlook, IE, acrobat, a C compiler, VHDL tool, another IDE, and sometimes more IE and adobe windows, i could certainly see the point in a 4 screen setup here

but as it is im pretty content with my 17" TFT here, 1280*1024 is a good surface area to work with

i only have one real screen at home though, i could use it for a second screen for my laptop, but id rather keep it hooked up to the desktop.. :D
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I have a 19" LCD that's dedicated just to the image, and I still don't think it's enough. I need one of those big Apple monitors for just the image, and this 19" as the second monitor for all the tools.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

If I had two monitor that were the same, I'd probably keep using dual monitor. I'm using a 17" CRT and a 15" CRT flat screen, so it's not exactly perfect.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

i do this, awsome for stuff like matlab and other uni programs
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I run 'dual head' at work.

It means I can have code on one screen and map editors, compilers etc on the other. It's very handy.
Roofus wrote: I only wish that the task bar extended onto the second screen.
The GeforceMX in my work computer lets me do that... as well as various other handy dual head features like setting each monitor with its own wallpaper etc.

Heres a quick hackjob wallpaper I made for dual head layouts (that I use myself)

Its JUGGER!

TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

Here's a screenshot of my desktop. Firefox on the main display, gimp on the second, taking the shot ;)

http://siggler.retrovg.com/misc/widedesktop.png
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

at work i have my machine set up with dual monitors, simply because it makes all the copying and pasting i do much much easier. at home i have my tv set as a second monitor- just so i can stick media player or power dvd in that window and watch stuff on my tv from my bed.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

ATi also have a similar thing called Hydro I think, that lets you put a bar on the second.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

its called hydravision

(named after the hydra of lerna, a mytholigical beast/snake/dragon from greek ancient history where if you cut of its head, its sprouts three back in the place of the one you cut off, and this keeps going, it was one of the twelve works of hercules iirc)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007