Cell Phone Blues

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cell Phone Blues

Post by S. Thompson »

So I finally caved in April and got a cell phone - an Audiovox CDM-8600 to be exact. It's an older phone, but it was well priced and has all the features I need. Well, as of late, it has started shutting down and "rebooting" itself spontaneously.

I am wondering if it is lose wiring or what. And if I take it into Verizon Wireless... will they help me.

I am on a two year contract and I'd like a working phone. :cry:

- Fuzmeister
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

If you bought the phone from them it should still be under warranty.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I am on a two year contract
The reason why I'm now with T-Mobile.

I'd think they would help you with your phone, especially if you've got insurance on it.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

fatheadpi wrote:The reason why I'm now with T-Mobile.
I only know one guy that uses T-Mobile. The rest of my friends use Verizon... since I'm cheap and wanted to call them without using minutes... I chose Verizon...

But, yes, agree with you I do - two year contracts - the dark side they are.

- Fuzmeister
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

your fucked. My gf and me got the same phone back in April. She fucked hers up and didn't put insurace in it. They told her that they couldn't do anything and will need t buy a new phone. We also got the 2 year contract, no insurance though. My 8600 still works great
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I would imagine they would help you. I had an LGVX6000 and a year ago, and it quit getting a signal, so I took it to the Verizon store, and they gave me a new one...and I didn't have an extended warrantee. I don't think two year contracts are so bad. I actually just signed my second two year contract with Verizon. I've been happy with the service for over two years, and have no desire to switch. Plus...if you stick with 'em for two years, they give you $100 off you next phone, and thanks to that, I got an LGVX8100 for only $50.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

So your telling me without it is $150?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Well you're in luck if you decide to cancel and go with a different provider.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... erthread=y
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

politoe wrote:So your telling me without it is $150?
Yep. With a two year contract the price is $199, and at the time, the phone had an instant $50 rebate. So only $50 came out of my pocket.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Well - I'm screwed. I took it in and they said it was "moisture damage." I believe them and all, it's just weird because I didn't have anything spill on it lately or anything. They said that I could go ahead and buy a new handset, but they couldn't do poop for me otherwise. Needless to say, I was pretty irrate.

I'm going to try and keep the phone going for a while. If things get better (I cleaned the contacts pretty rigorously today), I will keep it. If not... maybe eBay? :lol:

- Fuzmeister
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Xylene wrote:Well you're in luck if you decide to cancel and go with a different provider.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... erthread=y
Reading from that post, this begins on Oct.1st, right?
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

S. Thompson wrote:Well - I'm screwed. I took it in and they said it was "moisture damage." I believe them and all, it's just weird because I didn't have anything spill on it lately or anything. They said that I could go ahead and buy a new handset, but they couldn't do poop for me otherwise. Needless to say, I was pretty irrate.
That's a pretty common excuse used to worm out of handset repair / replacement. Can they actually prove it's moisture damage?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Usually phones have a strip inside of them that changes color when it comes in contact with water.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

pixel wrote:Usually phones have a strip inside of them that changes color when it comes in contact with water.
Yeah, it's under the battery.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Thomas wrote:
pixel wrote:Usually phones have a strip inside of them that changes color when it comes in contact with water.
Yeah, it's under the battery.
My phone doesn't. It was in the washer. Still works perfectly too!
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Take off the batery and check it, and on the phone. It should be red if its moisture damage.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

politoe wrote:Take off the batery and check it, and on the phone. It should be red if its moisture damage.
Yeah - he showed me this at the Verizon store and I was like - "WTF?" I honestly don't know how it could've been exposed to moisture.

Regardless, though, the phone's been working fine the past three days or so. I got the ol' pencil eraser trick done on the battery contacts - got rid of some corrosion that was there and it's been stable since.

Although I really have no clue how my phone got wet or moist... I'd make an inappropriate comment after typing that last sentence, but these forums are rated PG.

- Fuzmeister
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

S. Thompson wrote:
politoe wrote:Take off the batery and check it, and on the phone. It should be red if its moisture damage.
Regardless, though, the phone's been working fine the past three days or so. I got the ol' pencil eraser trick done on the battery contacts - got rid of some corrosion that was there and it's been stable since.

- Fuzmeister
??? Some info on this would be nice.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

S. Thompson wrote:
Yeah - he showed me this at the Verizon store and I was like - "WTF?" I honestly don't know how it could've been exposed to moisture.

Although I really have no clue how my phone got wet or moist... I'd make an inappropriate comment after typing that last sentence, but these forums are rated PG.

- Fuzmeister
So you pulled the old led zepp shark trick on her with your phone? kinky.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

politoe wrote:??? Some info on this would be nice.
Basically - any electronic contacts can be cleaned simply with the eraser of a common number two pencil. I do not know to what degree this works, but it does. We used to do it when I worked at Radio Shack for cordless phones and the like.

Give it a try sometime if something you have is working poorly.

- Fuzmeister