Jap. DC w/ Modchip doesn't play JAP Games???

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
MarHel2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jap. DC w/ Modchip doesn't play JAP Games???

Post by MarHel2 »

Hi, I'm totally new to this.

I got a DC off of eBay 2 or 3 months ago. It's a Japanese NTSC Model with Modchip and 50/60 Hz switch.

It plays all my PAL games (which is what you normally get in Germany) without problems, BUT I have an original Japanese PenPen game that I cant play. All the DC does is repeat the bootscreen with the red DC logo coming up over and over.

I've already opened the case and looked at the chip. It's not one of the newer 4 wire models, but has at least 20 black wires soldered to different places on the pcb. It's glued to the case, so I don't know if there's any name or model description on the chip...

Obviously the chip is working ok, otherwise I couldn't play my PAL games. Or am I wrong?

Do you know any solution for this? Would a boot cd be of any help?

Thanks,
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I'm sorry to hear your dreamcast won't play origianl Japanese games; unfortunately I can't help with this since I have PAL dreamcasts.

On your question about the boot disc, I don't think you would have any problems using a boot disc if your machine behaves as a PAL dreamcast. I can load import games on my PAL dreamcast and if your's "pretends" it is PAL then it should work.
XantiaX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by XantiaX »

hv u ever thought maybe uve been ripped off? i dont know how maybe they found a way to flash the bios and change the startup logo, solder some pretty wires onto the board and decided to offload it as a jap dc...
..::XantiaX::.. aka Chim-Chim Cootiesniffer
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Do you have any other Japanese DC games you could try? You might have a faulty Pen Pen disc!
XantiaX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by XantiaX »

faulty disk? nah couldnt be that!..... *ponders*
MarHel2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by MarHel2 »

I'm 100% positive that it's a Japanese DC.. ok, you never know, but
1. It came in original japanese packaging
2. DC Logo is red
3. All manuals etc. are in japanese language
4. Stickers on bottom of console state it's NTSC/J
5. 50/60Hz switch works
6. mod chip seems to be installed professionally.
7a. I think that's too much of a bother to do to just rip someone off
7b. It's a fact that I don't get ripped off. :wink:

Even if it was a rip off, it was a good deal for me, as I only paid about 100$ for the DC, a VMU, rumble pack, 2 pads, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Bangai'Oh, Dead or Alive 2 and Tokyo Highway Challenge, all of which I like playing very much.

I don't have more Japanese or US games, but I will get some sooner or later. At least it should work with the Utopia CD or some other boot disc.
XantiaX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by XantiaX »

to some people its never enough time to rip someone off, especially if theyve just bought a jap dc and they have all the packaging etc already. But it doesnt sound like this.. maybe its a cheap chip and its screwed up? sorry not much help hehe
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

XantiaX wrote:faulty disk? nah couldnt be that!..... *ponders*
The First Copy of Blue Stinger i bought seems to be faulty (and i bought it when the DC first came out) it just doesn't boot up except when i use the Gameshark CDX, or the Utopia Boot Disc. It's Written in NTSC and i have a NTSC DC so i'm assuming that it's the disc but i've come to deal with it so i use a Booter

laters
-navi
MarHel2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

So it's bootdisc for me I guess

Post by MarHel2 »

Thanks a lot guys!