My little fan-related mod.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My little fan-related mod.

Post by FunkyPoopMonkey »

I built the fan circuit using that guide that one person on here created. And I got the idea for the rheostat from this link:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/56/

The thing pumps out a buttload of air, and the dc never gets warm even after hours of use. That should keep it alive for a long time, since vital parts wont be shrinking and expanding due to the heat. The rheostat let me turn it down enough, so that it's not very loud, but still about 3x more powerful then the original fan.[/img]
Last edited by FunkyPoopMonkey on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

That's a really cool mod. You should write a tutorial because a lot of people get confused when they have to put a new fan in.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Caboose wrote:That's a really cool mod. You should write a tutorial because a lot of people get confused when they have to put a new fan in.
There already is one. I just cant remember the screenname of the guy who made it on here.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

DCmodder did if I remember correctly.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

What does the circuit to trick the DC consist of? i heard you could just connect the third pin to ground (possibly a resistor between them) and the DC will think the fan is still connected.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

ptr.lynch wrote:What does the circuit to trick the DC consist of? i heard you could just connect the third pin to ground (possibly a resistor between them) and the DC will think the fan is still connected.
Yeah, I've heard that will work... but since nobody has played around with it, I don't know. The fan circuit may well just turn out to be extra work.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

Seems like an overly complex way to increase the airflow, when one of those prebuilt cooling fan assemblies can be had on ebay with next to no fuss. You don't even have to risk killing your system. Now if the fan fit INSIDE the case, that would rock almightily. Or one of those horizontal side-ducting deals.

Where is the air coming in from, btw?
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I never did understand why someone would do this mod. Is there any benefits in doing this mod other than it being cool?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Is there any benefits in doing this mod other than it being cool?
Err no
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:
Caboose wrote:That's a really cool mod. You should write a tutorial because a lot of people get confused when they have to put a new fan in.
There already is one. I just cant remember the screenname of the guy who made it on here.
I know dcmodder made the no fan circuit, what I meant was you should make a tutorial on how you did the fan on the outside and how you can conrtol the speed and stuff.
Smiley wrote:I never did understand why someone would do this mod. Is there any benefits in doing this mod other than it being cool?
Yes, if your fan has crapped out on you then your DC won't stay on longer than a sevral seconds. By doing this you

1) Trick the DC into thinking that a fan is connected so it will play games
2) Will have a new fan so that your DC doesn't overheat and get wrecked

Hope that clears things up :)
Last edited by Caboose on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Caboose, thank you for explaining it to them in a way nicer way then I would have. I was about to destroy them. >_< Idiots wont be so negative about this mod when THEIR DC's fan dies on them, or when their parts finally crap out due to heat expansion.
Raijin Z wrote:Seems like an overly complex way to increase the airflow, when one of those prebuilt cooling fan assemblies can be had on ebay with next to no fuss. You don't even have to risk killing your system. Now if the fan fit INSIDE the case, that would rock almightily. Or one of those horizontal side-ducting deals.

Where is the air coming in from, btw?
I can't believe ANYONE would buy one of those external commercial fan accessories. They cost a buttload, look ugly, make the system 30% bigger, require a voltage adaptor AND take up an extra space on your wall outlet. How could anyone even question this mod? It's so effective!

And where do you think the air comes from? The damn air vents! The DC has them on the right side and rear. Go look.

"Risk killing your system." I'm sorry, I don't see the risk buddy. You obviously have no knowledge in electronics (hell I have little, but I was able to do this). If you're scared to open up your console, that's fine. But don't try telling me that my system is going to die, because the fan is using up a minuscule fraction of the total power. It's not that fragile.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote: Caboose, thank you for explaining it to them in a way nicer way then I would have.
:lol: . Seriously, this mod is sweet. Next maybe, if you want, you could cut a little hole so that you don't have to open the Dreamcast to adjust the fan speed, and then just put the little knob throught the hold and use glue to hold the main part tot he case and then have the knob still able to turn. But then again, If you have it on a good setting right now then it won't really matter..
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Yeah I really think the speed it's at right now is perfect. Also thats pretty much the only place I could fit the rheostat, and the knob is going strait up. Thankfully it's the perfect size for that spot, and the CMOS battery holds it in place, so it never bounces around inside. Unless I can get a purple LED for this DC, I feel it is finished.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Great mod.

And I can think of a n00b who needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes, as he's extremely negative without knowing all that is necessary. And he lives in the same state as me, just to clear up any confusion.

FPM: I agree that the Rheostat needs to be moved to the outside, so you can truly adjust it.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Well yes, but like I said it's already set perfectly. Maybe someday I can figure out the exact current that the rheostat is letting pass to the fan, then I can buy a simple small resistor that will lower it to that same level. Just to free up some space, and make things less complicated.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Or you could take the rheostat to the next level by cutting a little hole and making it externally accessible. ;)

Anyway, I would certainly prefer replacing the stock fan myself with another one that is small enough to fit internally - but that is personal preference. As long as it is quiet and gets the job done, all is well. You're happy, your DC is happy = teh win.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Alexvrb wrote:Or you could take the rheostat to the next level by cutting a little hole and making it externally accessible. ;)
Please read the topic fully before saying what's already been said... *sigh*
Anyway, I would certainly prefer replacing the stock fan myself with another one that is small enough to fit internally - but that is personal preference. As long as it is quiet and gets the job done, all is well. You're happy, your DC is happy = teh win.
I certainly thought about buying a smaller fan, but really there's nowhere inside the dc to fit one, unless you buy the same size fan as the original, and place it in the same spot as the original, which is impossible for me because the trick fan circuit now takes that spot. I'm sure an expert can build the circuit MUCH more compact then I did though.

So I chose to buy a fan with the exact same height as the side wall of the dreamcast. Hopefully you can see that from the picture. Half of the thickness of the fan resides INSIDE the DC, thanks to the grooves I carved out. The other half is outside. The fan seriously only sticks out of the dc by about 2/3rds of a centimeter. It's not troublesome at all. And it's in there tight enough so it cant be bonked out.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

*takes a bow* thank you thank you. all you'd need to do to limit the fan is put a potentimiter (like in the circuit) to adjust the fan speed.

actually that fan that i had on the outside of my dc is on the inside now. the circuit doesnt take up as much room as your making it take up. all i did was rip that little plactic connector to the orignal fan off of the controller board and glued the little bugger to the controller board. the circuit on mine is about the size of that orignal connector. now back to the fan i used a 12v radio shack processor heatsink fan. and it fits fairly well into the place where the old fan was. it took a little bit of convincing by my dremel to make it fit though.
wont u be my friend?
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

dcmodder wrote:*takes a bow* thank you thank you. all you'd need to do to limit the fan is put a potentimiter (like in the circuit) to adjust the fan speed.

actually that fan that i had on the outside of my dc is on the inside now. the circuit doesnt take up as much room as your making it take up. all i did was rip that little plactic connector to the orignal fan off of the controller board and glued the little bugger to the controller board. the circuit on mine is about the size of that orignal connector. now back to the fan i used a 12v radio shack processor heatsink fan. and it fits fairly well into the place where the old fan was. it took a little bit of convincing by my dremel to make it fit though.
Yes yes I've seen your pictures. I just don't understand how you bundled all 3 of the parts of the circuit together, along with the maze of wires. But whatever.

Again, I say this for like the 5th time now. I'm happy with my setup and I do not want advice.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

i didnt really use wires to put it together.
wont u be my friend?